Does a ps3 really need surround sound?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Swervy

I am getting a ps3 slim 120 GB and a HD plasma tv. Do I need to have full HD surround sound to play my ps3 on or does the ps3 still soung ok without a home theatre system hooked up to it? Do I really need a full HD plasma tv hooked up to it?

To get the absolute best you will need a full HD TV and proper AV system.

However, it will still be GREAT with your current setup, you can consider upgrading the rest during the PS3's supposed 10 year life! :thumbsup:

To get the absolute best you will need a full HD TV and proper AV system.

However, it will still be GREAT with your current setup, you can consider upgrading the rest during the PS3's supposed 10 year life! :thumbsup:

Disagree with the full HD bit seeing how limited the number of 1080p titles are (with many not even being 720p)

Even for watching BluRay movies depending on your viewing distance you might not even see the benefit of 1080p over 720p.

people take far too much notice of 'numbers', I'd rather watch on a good quality 720p Panansonic or Pioneer panel than a cheap 'n' nasty 1080p one

with regard to sound although you can enjoy the PS3 without full surround sound a good 5.1 setup will only enhance it further.

Sure, hence my last comment...

keep your std 720 HDTV and get a DTS compatible surround system
ps3 only DTS compliant game system (360 only does DD5.1) with games in FULL DTS :smashin:

wait until youve played Uncharted 2 etc with DTS sound............... :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Does a PS3 really need surround sound? In short, no.

Will surround sound really enhance games/movies on a PS3? Absolutely.

I think it all depends on what is important to you. Sound for me is as important as picture quality.

I have an Onkyo 606 and quad lite 5.1 speaker system and the difference between that and the TV speakers is mind blowing.

I previously had a Denon all in one surround system. When i got it it blew me away - it was the first surround system i had bought and the difference it made not just to games/movies but even normal TV just added hugely to the experience. When i upgraded to my current set up it was another massive leap in quality and i don't think i could go back to just using the TV speakers now.

So although it is not essential - the ps3 will obviously work without it - you won't be getting the best it has to offer without a surround set up.

My advice would be to set yourself a budget and see what is available. Then wait a bit longer to save up for what you really want!:D

Seriously, I would look at seperates - i have had both and the difference is worth the extra. Maybe get a decent amp to start off with and look for end of line deals on speakers etc. I know when i bought my quads that the new model was due out so i got them for £499 (RRP was £999).

On the question of full HD TV i have a panasonic TXP58V10B. It is full HD and looks simply stunning. I previously had a 720p set which looked pretty poor in comparison but tbh that is more (imo) to do with the panasonic being a much better TV than my previous one than it being 1080 rather than 720.

Various of my mates also have ps3s attached to either 720 or 1080 sets and some of the 720 sets look better than the cheap 1080 ones so i would definitely agree with Uridium on that front.

So, i wonder, has the OP changed his mind again on kit from here:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/ps3-hardware/1172713-playstation-3-help.html

and here :

http://www.avforums.com/forums/ps3-hardware/1177751-ps3-home-theatre-setup.html

and different kit from the panasonic lcd and yamaha 5.1 Home Theatre System model number YHT-392AU, that he was enquiring about in one of his many other topics, like the one where he said he had a Thomson Home Cinema System and its model number is DPL914VD, and later its an LG..

but to me, this seems like a duplicate topic from the one he posted way back in January.

here: http://www.avforums.com/forums/home-cinema-general-chat/1163375-home-theatre-setup.html

I'm going to close this, and say, Please use the Search Function next time, as the questions you ask, have all been asked and answered many times in several areas of this forum.

Closing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom