Does a projector need mounting? Can it just sit on top of something and be moved?

TonyKL

Novice Member
Hello, I'm hopefully moving soon and my old panny plasma may not make it in the move. I've been thinking of a projector and ceiling mounting it, however, g/f likes re-arranging the room during summer/winter to make the most of the windows/fireplace. If I fix the projector to the ceiling this does not help.

Is it possible that I can just sit it on top of some cabinets or is the process of setting up distance/size/lens etc too much hassle to move a projector around?

(obviously a pj noob)

kbfern

Distinguished Member
Absolutely no problem,I have had 4 pj's over the last 9yrs and not one has been ceiling mounted.

All of them have been sat on top of the same 3 draw filing cabinet in the two rooms that the pj's have been used in.

A further 4-6 pj's that I have used in the same rooms have also been positioned in the same way.

On top of a low table or on a cabinet or shelf should be no problem with most projectors.

Some DLP projectors have a problem with being on a shelf or cabinet more than around 3-4ft high so bear that in mind when selecting the model you buy.Having said that there are ways around if necessary.

TonyKL

Novice Member
Thanks for the quick reply, fantastic, that's great news.
I guess I will double check whenever I purchase the pj, guessing around £1000 for a 1080p (non-3d) which would be projected onto a wall around 4-5meters away.

Worried about the RBE with DLP but no idea how this works with me being colourblind - lol

kbfern

Distinguished Member
If your budget is £1000 the best options are as follows:

Epson TW3200 LCD £999 great picture and you can put this pj virtually anywhere.

DLP:

Optoma HD20 or 200x £750 approx you can mount this on a table or cabinet up to around 40" high (that's what mine is at).

Mits HC3200 or the HC4000 when out, £800 for the 3200 around £1100 for the 4000.More suitable on a lower shelf around 30"approx.

There are other makes but these are the best IMV at this price level.

TonyKL

Novice Member
Yes, from what I read on here it was between the Epson TW3200 or Optoma HD20.
It does worry me that some projectors cant be mounted very high, I assumed all projectors could be mounted anywhere, even from the ceiling.

Is this just due to projection angles or something?

kbfern

Distinguished Member
All projectors can be mounted on the ceiling.

All LCD and D-ila (if they have lens shift and most do) can be mounted pretty much anywhere.

DLP because they do not have lens shift can be ceiling or shelf mounted (up to around 40" high).

The trick with dlp if you want to mount on a high shelf or cabinet is to turn it up side down.It will then work but is a bit fiddly to level it up unless mounted on a shelf like the home made one in post 481 in the link below.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/proj...0-200x-reviews-settings-owners-thread-10.html

KRW

If it helps, I have the Epson TW3200, for the first three weeks of its life it was mounted in all sorts of places, next to the sofa, under the sofa, on the back of the sofa on a little shelf until I got its ceiling mount sorted. It was fine.

Oakleyspatz

I've noticed with both projectors I've owned and reviews of others that some tend to go out of focus all on their own or are easily put out of focus by putting the lens cap on or taking it off.
Therefore, having the projector on a shelf or coffee table can actually be a bonus to having it ceiling mounted as you can easily and quickly make manual adjustments if needed.

TonyKL

Novice Member
Thanks for the advice, I might go for an LCD to give me the flexibility. good to know it works well anywhere.
However, I always here he dlp are better. This would be my first pj.

Oakleyspatz

Thanks for the advice, I might go for an LCD to give me the flexibility. good to know it works well anywhere.
However, I always here he dlp are better. This would be my first pj.

The days where there was a gulf between the image quality of DLP and LCD has long gone. In the 'old days', LCD had awful blacks (read grey!) and terrible visible pixelation. But with advances in technology and the advance of 1080p resolution, these issues are a thing of the past. The latest Epson projectors are easily as good as any DLP in the same price range with regards to image quality but are infinitely more flexible when it comes to setting them up.
And that's coming from a guy who owns an Optoma HD20 DLP projector!!! :eek:

TonyKL

Novice Member
LCD might be the ticket. I've a lot of big windows so light might be a problem. Would to 3600 be better for this than the 3200? It's brighter but I've heard that there isn't mohch between them.

Also read the jvc 350 is a great pj for £1800. Am I being silly thinking about one of those. :blush:

kbfern

Distinguished Member
I would not pay the extra for the 3600 over the 3200.

I would find the extra for the JVC but not in your circumstances (big windows etc) if you cannot get the room very dark.

That really includes walls/ceiling floors being darker colours rather than today's usual white/light colours.

Without making your room virtually bat cave like you will not get the extra performance that is available from the JVC, even though it is a great pj and worth every penny of the current £1800 price.

TonyKL

Novice Member
Yep I think you are right.
The room will unfortunately be light due to being our main living area and not a dedicated bat cave (one reason thinking of pj as we don't want a huge black tv in the room).

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom