• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Does a GPU with Onboard HD Decoding Improve HD Picture Quality In Vista Media Center

Sn0w

morning all. i currently have a Vista 32 bit media center with plenty of my blue ray movies ripped for ease of use... i am currently using:

AMD Dual Core X2 4600
Nvidia 7800 GT AC3 filter (software decoder)
2 gig of ram

this obviously puts strain on my CPU but the system is able to cope with it!

i was wondering if a GPU with ONBOARD HD DECODING would improve Picture Quality of my ripped HD movies? i understand it will take alot of strain off my CPU. if this is the case what would you recomend?

another question.. would a GPU with a HDMI out also improve the picture quality? i currentky have a DVI-HDMI converter.

i do apolagise if these questions have come up before but i couldnt find a definitave answer on the subject!

thx for reading

Last edited:

TheBiGW

DVI and HDMI are essentially the same thing - HDMI supports copy protected signals (HDCP) and can carry sound as well as audio through one easy cable.... In your setup there will be no advantage in using HDMI.

A GPU will not improve picture quality at all - all it will do is take load off the CPU and allow your PC to run quieter with less heat.

Pacemaker10000

the card you have is not capeable of HD. its output will not be hdcp complient and it cannot handle some hd processes
a new card like an ati 4000 series will take 100% of the decoding off the cpu and give better quality due to its better processing using onboard acceleration and avivo
i have just changed myself from a 7500gt and the difference is very noticable in sd plus it now does proper hd
dvi output is also hdpc compatible with a dongle

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom