1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

does a good power cable matter?

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by RumNYC, Jun 22, 2005.

1. RumNYC

RumNYC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I have an arcam avr300 hooked up to a richard gray power company 400pro all using standard power cables. does upgrading to a USD$100 like ps audio plasma really make a difference? do i need to get 2 (one for the conditioner and one for the arcam)? anyone notice a real improvement?

2. ruben20

ruben20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I think you'd notice a better power cable in either position. Both positions is preferred. I certainly made a difference in my situation. I use a DIY solution, lapp cable(3 x 2,5mm2) shielded which is terminated with wattage and furutech plugs.

3. radio

radio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Really the power cable will effect the sound? I am using hte standard 3 prong cable arcam came wiht it looks like a fairly beefy cable but its connected to a good conditioner... i didnt consider buying a new power cord?

What are the differences or what should i be looking for in terms of improvement?

4. bigfanga

bigfanga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm curious as to how, exactly, a power cord covering the last 6 to 8 ft will improve the sound of a system when there has been no improvement in the wiring of the house itself or in the line from the power substation to the house?

Long story short, a power cord will make no difference in the sound. There's a reason that all of these companies producing high-priced cords and cables don't produce any scientific graphs or charts to show how their products improve sound: they can't.

Just goes to prove Mr. Barnum's maxim...

5. Sweden

Sweden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    try ps audio, nordost etc they are fantastic great difference the best tweak you can do really.

6. Greggles

Greggles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    Mains supply voltage can effect the sound (and picture) quality of hifi/ home cinema equipment as a result of:

1) low, high and varying voltage;
    2) RFI (Radio Frequency Interference);
    3) EMF (Electromagnetic Fields);
    4) high voltage spikes;
    5) high impedance, poor extension leads, bad connections;
    6) poor and noisy earthing; neutral faults; fuses;
    7) interference from appliances and light switches;
    8) mains noise and harmonics;
    9) mysterious clicks, pops, buzzes and hums!
    ( from Russ Andrews publication "The Power and the Glory")

Bigfanga logically asks how a power lead can make any difference! I was very sceptical myself but am now a total convert. Yes by all means start by rewiring the house, but this is not always practicable. Simply put, a good quality mains lead can produce great improvements to a system. I've heard various pseudo-scientific explanations as to why this may be the case, but for me it was just a case of listening to the difference. I would ask anyone who doubts the logic of this to give it a try, starting with your primary source and working your way down the system.

Incidentally, I have found that upgrading the mains cable on my Gaggia has made no discernable difference to the quality of my espresso (sic)

7. Mark F

Mark F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Fully agree. I upgraded to Russ Andrews Powerkords about a year ago (around £75 each although they always have special offers on). The difference is unbelievable - the most cost effective upgrade I've ever done. Check out their website for the science behind it including graphs! They even offer a money back guarantee if you're not satisfied.

8. tvh3ad

tvh3ad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I've not tried changing the power cord, but I did have an EquiTech "Son of Q" balanced-AC box on loan from my local dealer last weekend as part of a noise-diagnosis/elimination process. My audible system noise turned out to have nothing to do with the AC supply, but I can now speak to the effect of AC quality on the sound: in my particular case, the sound is dramatically different with a cleaned-up power source.

Having had that experience, I wouldn't be surprised to find that swapping the last 6ft of AC cable might have some effect as well, but I would hazard a guess that its magnitude probably depends on:

- the state of the juice as it leaves your wall outlet;
    - your local environment EF/RF
    - the rest of your equipment (i.e, source, speakers, other cables)
    - your ears

9. NAA

NAA
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I`ve try power-cords-upgrade in two steps. At first i`ve purchase in building materials shop good 3x2,5 shielded copper powercable and good brass plugs from "Kopp". 2 meters cord was cost 10 USD for all. I`ve just wont, will be difference or not. And i heard difference, but it was very little. Now i have "Supra" (Sweden) cords. It cost about 18 USD for 1 meter in Russia. Difference is so big, for this money, unbelievable.