1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does a DVD Recorder affect Sky+ PQ?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by scitech, May 29, 2005.

1. scitech

scitech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I am curious if having a Sky/Sky+ passing through a DVD recorder should affect the PQ.

I noticed last night that my TV doesn't recognise my Sky+ picture as RGB so I drew the conclusion that it was because of it running through the DVD recorder (which, when on, is recognised as an RGB input). So I bypassed the DVD, plugged the Sky straight into the TV and I found the PQ to be worse, and if I switched the output to PAL it was appalling.

Can someone explain this as I would of thought the fewer links in the chain the better.

Thanks.

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    I guess it depends upon the quality of the channel you are watching combined with the type of display you are viewing on.
    A direct RGB scart connection between the digibox AV1 output and a TV's RGB scart should give the best (subjective of course) picture although passing it through another device (with RGB passthrough) should not make any significant difference.

What is the s-video picture like?

3. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Well, you didn't tell us the makes/models of the DVD recorder and TV, so that doesn't help.

If the TV recognises the DVD recorder as RGB, then the cable from the DVD recorder to the TV must be OK. However, Sky+ only outputs RGB from the "TV" socket - do you have the DVDR plugged into the right one ? You may have plugged the DVD recorder into the "VCR" socket to make use of the copying facility, I suspect.

4. scitech

scitech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    NickUK - I have a DVD Player running into the VCR Scart of Sky +, TV Scart goes to a cheapo Goodmans DVD recorder which then goes on to a Panny CRT. This way I can copy DVDs (as my PC isn't set up for it at the mo) and the DVD player has a DD decoder but the recorder doesn't.

S-Vid from Sky+ to TV is comparable to having the Sky pass through the DVD recorder. The strange thing is when I change the Sky output between RGB and PAL it doesn't alter the PQ at all while passing through the DVDR but it is still better than running straight to the TV.

The only thing I can guess is that the DVDR boosts the signal in some way. I think some VCRs do this with a terrestrial analogue signal. Although, when I switch on the DVDR and have the source set to Scart (for recording from Sky) there is a small but noticeable drop in PQ.

Thanks for the replies all.

5. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    The VCR output from a Sky+ box is not RGB. Only the TV output is RGB. You should get a better picture by going from the Sky+ box TV out to the TV, as long as you set the Sky+ box to output RGB and you have a RGB wired scart cable.

6. scitech

scitech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nick,

By this I meant the TV out on Sky+.

Sorry if this was not clear.

7. fsb

fsb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had the same problem where the VCR Scart from the Sky+ went to Line3 i/p on the DVD recorder and then RGB to the TV. PQ from Sky was poor but DVD superb. Now connected the TV out from Sky+ to DVD recorder and then to TV - picture great again.
    Do I now have to connect another cable from Sky+ VCR scart to the DVD recorder (e.g. line 2i/p) to copy the Sky+ recorded programs or should I connect VCR out on Sky+ to DVD recorder, Sky+ TV out to TV AV1 and DVD Scart o/p to TV AV2 ?
    I can't seem to get it cabled so that I can get great PQ watching Sky and DVD player and record from the Sky+ HDD without having to switch AV channels.