Does a DECENT* LED TV exist?

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by dwitchalls, Dec 21, 2011.

1. dwitchalls

dwitchalls
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    By decent, I mean free from annoying crap like clouding and banding?

I got rid of my old Panasonic plasma (about 6 years old - only issue ever was some burn which cleared etc..) so far have had 2 LGW47650T's (took both back) now have a Samsung 46" D8000 which also suffers from horrendous banding.

Would backlight LED make a huge difference, or should I just give up and go back to a plasma?

I guess I'm just trying to figure out if it's a technology issue or I've just had some dodgy TV's!

Sorry if this kind of thing has been covered before, just trying to gather my thoughts before I go back and demand another exchange :(

Dave.

2. vickster

vickster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    Why don't you want another plasma?

Edgelit LEDs do seem to have the issues you are seeing (not that plasmas are perfect either)

3. dwitchalls

dwitchalls
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, it's not that I don't want another plasma, I just liked the look and thin frame of the LED's (not that it really matters)

4. vickster

vickster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    That's the compromise - edgelit LED enables a very thin frame and higher energy efficiency but then you get the weaknesses of clouding especially

The VT30 and the D8000 plasmas aren't bad depth wise, and it doesn't really matter unless wall hanging in a narrow space IMO

5. dwitchalls

dwitchalls
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It'll be on a stand to be honest, so it wouldn't be the end of the world!

This site is terrifying when looking for TV's though, nearly all of them have 5+ owners threads full of faults! lol

6. vickster

vickster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    Yep, no one ever reports good news on forums generally...lots of picky so-and-so's too :D

Have a read of the pro reviews - these are picky but discerning folks lol

I'd go to Sevenoaks sound and vision if you have one near and get a demo of the high end Panasonic and Samsung plasmas

7. AndyCob

AndyCob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    It's not a specific feature of LED backlighting, but certainly going with Edge lit for the thin frame makes getting perfect backlight uniformity a challenge, it can be done but obviously as prices go down quality tends to drop.

Try a direct lit rather than edge lit if you can find one, though the preference for cheap thin over expensive thick may make it a harder find.

Really though you should be able to get a more than acceptable TV using either approach.

8. dwitchalls

dwitchalls
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sadly I think I'm stuck with shopping at Curry's at the moment (got the 650T deal there to start with)

The TV's all look fine in demo mode... The pro reviews elsewhere on the web don't seem to notice the banding issues, I'm pretty new to this site is there a 'proper' (I don't mean that in a flippant way) review section on here?

9. dwitchalls

dwitchalls
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Andy, just trying to avoid getting another TV to take back! - The Samsung was about £1449, the Panasonic VT30's going to be closer to £1800, I should be getting a good set for that kind of money surely!!

10. vickster

vickster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
  11. dwitchalls

dwitchalls
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I had a stand up argument with the manager in front of everyone, could have been worse I guess! haha

I'll have a look at the reviews, thanks for that!

12. Tatkovladko

Tatkovladko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    dwitchalls, I totally understand your frustration or whatever feeling it is.
    My advice would be "definitely go back to plasma".
    Even with a LED-array screen you will most probably be annoyed by their haloing.

13. Scooby2000

Scooby2000
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469
    Top end plasmas aren't too thick now, not as thin as edge lit LED but my GT30 is thinner than some LCDs Ive seen.

Full array sets are nice but very expensive and as said, yoy'll still have some light issues with haloing being,an issue for some. Id still take a top end plasma over a full array LED myself, better PQ for less.:)

Plasma wise Panasonic is the best, though Samsungs do go brighter and seem to calibrate better.

14. dwitchalls

dwitchalls
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies everyone - I think the Panasonic plasma is looking like the way to go, has a lot of posts about it on here, but looks like a lot more positive comments than in the similar Samsung or LG threads!

Lets hope another 'showdown' isn't required in Currys this time :)

15. Trollslayer

Trollslayer
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,601
    See if there is a local Panasonic shop near you, no good for side by side comparison but the one in Bristol is much better for seeing what you are buying.

16. AlandEi

AlandEi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    There ARE LCD/LED models that do not have the clouding issue, mine is one example. But it seems to be very much of a lottery as to whether you are sold a good panel or not.
    I really do not know the ratio of good panels to bad, as obviously, on this forum you may only hear of the bad ones, as it is where folks come to compare bad rather than good points. There are probably more bad ones out there that folks are putting up with, and perhaps even more perfect ones ?

I can only say as I find, and after reading the owners topic thoroughly to be aware of the various faults that other owners complain about, then looking for those faults in the set I bought, find that luckily, I have next to no clouding, no backlight bleed, no motion blur, and a nicely defined picture with good deep blacks ect, which is watchable from fairly extreme angles... albeit after tweaking the various settings.

Alan

17. Scooby2000

Scooby2000
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469
    You sure you have an LCD...Joke!:) you make a good point, theres some good sets out there and the amount of bleed etc does vary a lot set to set it seems. One of my main issues with LCD is light uniformity, again this can vary with edge lit sets being particularly bad. Plasma arent perfect in any way, but its the best option to avoid these issues.

18. dwitchalls

dwitchalls
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My problem with the TV's I've had and taken back so far, is once I've noticed the banding etc.. I can't stop looking for it (and sadly finding it) not sure if it's just me being overly picky or what, as my wife never seems to notice lol.

I just struggle to accept for something that costs that amount of money I should put up with that kind of quality.

19. logiclee

logiclee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +673
    It does seem as though there is a large varience in build between some edge lit sets either that or some sets are very sensitive to setup and input sources.

I recently had to replace my Sony 52W4000 an award winning CFL lit LCD set 3.5 years ago.
    Due to the layout of my room a reflective screen is a non starter so that rules out plasma. Sony's top end sets now have gorilla glass screens that are relfective even if they do say anti-glare. Samsung's LCD's are as bad as their plasma's for relfections.
    So I ended up looking at the matt screened Sony 55EX723 which seems to get very good reviews for 2D but poor reviews for 3D. As I'm not bothered about 3D I went for it but was very concerned that some owners were reporting bad clouding and banding.
    Straight out of the box I wasn't that impressed with PQ although lighting seemed pretty uniform and I wasn't getting banding.
    The Sony must have 15 picture enhancers/noise reduction systems and as standard they are all on. With everything turned off other than motionflow and with the picture calibrated to room levels the picture is excellent.

I just wonder why it's so difficult to produce consistent units.

Cheers
    Lee

20. AlandEi

AlandEi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I would have loved to have bought the ST30 Scooby, and had they made it in 37", I would have worked around the reflectivity issues I have in our place somehow. Luckily, this one seems to have worked out a good un', reading some other folks posts.
    We sit 9' away from the set, and Eirwen still thinks this 37" is too big... mind you, she had only just got used to our 17 year old 28" 4:3 Philips CRT... :)

Alan.

21. dwitchalls

dwitchalls
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After a lot more ******* about with Currys, it's sorted, they are swapping the TV's out on Thursday, Panasonic 50" VT30 will be taking the Samsung's place.

I think I had a particularly bad Samsung panel, the amoung of picture noise was unbelievable!