Does a current TV with VA panel and Dolby Vision support exist ?

tausifs

A serious question, not intended as a thinly veiled swipe at Samsung , I have just bought a Samsung QN90A knowing full well that it doesn’t support Dolby Vision. I was impressed when I demo’d it , that’s why I bought it for a bright living room. And that I feel the combination of VA panel with minLED will produce great results , though I must admit I am seeing some corner vignetting in bright scenes that niggles. I would also add that I already have a LG B7 OLED ATV for a dark home cinema room.

I am simply interested to know, does a current TV of any manufacturer with both VA panel and Dolby Vision support exist ?

I am guessing not. And that it maybe has never existed. Does anyone know for sure ?

Last edited:

vickster

Distinguished Member
Ask on the owner thread.
There’s no perfect Tv for all conditions at any price ultimately so choose your compromise :)

tausifs

I’m looking forward to a Sony miniLED , if one is coming… assuming it would be using a VA panel.

EDIT- AFAIAA Sony have not announced a miniLED tv for 2021, X95J is their flagship 4K LCD tv but does have FALD.

Last edited:

desinho

I’m looking forward to a Sony miniLED , if one is coming… assuming it would be using a VA panel.

EDIT- AFAIAA Sony have not announced a miniLED tv for 2021, X95J is their flagship LCD tv but does have FALD.
8K models are the flagship LCD tv's ... ; Panasonic should also have a range with VA panels and Dolby Vision support (but not fald). I'm sure Hisense have models as well ...
Blooming into the black bars is fairly minimal on the Sony tv's if you sit straight on (but yes if Samsung is as good as none at all the for Sony it is 'a lot' more :rolleyes: :D ). They also have stronger vignetting than Samsung tv's though generally ...

Edit: nuance, blooming is generally fairly minimal but with the 'right' scene it can get quite severe in HDR mode. And per the AV Forums review, in HDR mode black bars are not black (but more like a normal VA panel without dimming)

Last edited:

flipside

Standard Member
Philips also offer VA + miniLED with Dolby Vision but not too many English speaking sites review their products (& those that do it tends to be the OLEDs).

I'd be all over these if they come down to 55" or even 58(a weird size Philips seem to do) I've just not got space for. 65 or higher

LCDseeker

Distinguished Member
Ok yes.

If I’m not mistaken, I seem to remember a Sony review ?on AVforums commending a Sony FALD but also commenting that with HDR material there was a lot of light bleed into the letterbox black bars, compared to Samsung TVs.

As an owner I hardly notice any bleed. You do get some now and then but I much prefer some bleed over the black crush and lack of DV on the Samsungs. For me the XH95 gives you the best bang for the buck in this sector of televisions.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom