Question Does a £279 price tag make the KEF Q400b a worthy purchase?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Badcav203, May 10, 2017.

1. Badcav203

Badcav203
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Recently purchased a Pair of KEF Q900, and a Q600c at waht I consider fantastic prices due to the new models and clearance of the old stock.
    Upgrading from a little Tannoy HTS101 system which has been great, that was a downgrade 4 years ago from MA BX5 setup to clear floor space due to a little one crawling around. So over moon with these and being back into full range setup.

So now I am considering a Sub purely for movie usage.
    Looking around £500ish budget and towards a BK option.

I do seem to suffer with some horrid acoustic room modes and nulls for subwoofer performance due to having an almost L shape room and without the sub sitting in the near middle of the room which isn't an option, can't resolve so have to have the happy medium.
    Acoustically, I don't seem to suffer the same problems with speakers whether small or large, so I would assume placement is the real issue. However, my options are limited.

I assume these sound issues will only be emphasized going with a bigger more powerful subwoofer unless placing correctly and clearly a larger box will reduce placement options even further meaning that to EQ flat, I would be limiting the overall performance advantage anyway?

In this situation and from research, I gather that I would be better with two to help smooth this out and that a sealed box will also help?

So this brings me onto if two Q400b would be a good or better choice for the price.
    There is little in regards to reviews on this model. I am particularly impressed with the Q900/Q600 performance and being a sealed unit imagine this will also have an advantage of working well in a system used primarily for music.
    Although I don't really consider this as a major factor in my decision as the performance is perfectly acceptable from the mains alone and I always run direct mode.

I accept that the single BK Monolith or XXLS400 will rule a Q400b and that at a £500 price point there are alternatives such as an SVS that may well serve better than the KEF in a single application.
    If it was a single subwoofer purchase I would most certainly be looking at the aforementioned options. But, essentially if having two units will solve some of my issue, I can't stretch the budget to £1000 to have two of those 'preferred options'.

So will the heavily discounted Q400b be a contender, should I consider a couple of the smaller BK Gemini II instead which is cheaper overall or just go with a mono,XXLS400.

Adding an additional Monolith or XXLS400 isn't an option due to WAF. Convincing her to have one sitting in the room is going to be hard enough.

2. flyingalbatross

flyingalbatross

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Problem is that if you can't put one sub in the right place to avoid a null at listening position why do you think you can put a second sub there?

Two subs won't fundamentally alter the waveforms bouncing around the room. If there's a big null it needs to be solved by placement. A second badly placed sub won't help.

If you're struggling with placement, consider adding an anti-mode to the sub - they CAN work wonders. (An antimode is a room EQ for a sub to combat nulls at MLP). Or place one sub in a good place to start with - only then consider a second.

Adding a second sub can help flatten a room response, but if the first one is in a crap place, putting a second one in another crap place won't magically fix it.

I'd probably pop for a BK P12-300 and the saving towards an antimode. Remember, distance selling regs are your friend for testing at home ;)

3. Dolus

Dolus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +158
    Google advantage of two subwoofers