Does 42PD5000 work with HDCP on DVI

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by booyak, Mar 31, 2004.

1. booyak

booyak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hiya

Im looking at getting a Hitachi Plasma 42PD5000MA (which is the base model here in Aust i.e. no media box / tuner, etc - prob same/similar to the UK 42PD5000 or 42PD5100).

I would like to know if the DVI interface its got is HDCP compliant so I can use it with a DVI or HDMI complaint (via cable/adapter) device such as Pioneer 868 or other HD device direct via digital connection.

Has anyone actually got it setup via the DVI interface and what have your results been? esp. with the ALIS screen.

The specs brochure doesnt really say if it is (though the UK site hitachidigitalmedia.com brochure mentioned it may be)..

Anyone know where I may find a pdf manual on-line for this too?

Thanx in advance

Cheers

Richard

2. Arshad

Arshad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sometime ago i was interested in this plasma too and asked Hitachi Singapore & Hong Kong if the dvi input is hdcp compliant they confirmed that it is. Actually there are two settings for dvi on the hitachi plasma you mentioned one for PC only and other for dvd players and other devices.

3. booyak

booyak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Thanx Arshad for the info. Did you end up getting it in the end?

I had a look at the manual in the store today, but it didnt mention if it did either way.

As you mentioned it does mention that there are 2 modes for DVI i.e. PC and STB with 720p and 1080i - though not specifically HDCP or not.

Cheers

Richard

4. Arshad

Arshad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    booyak,

No, i didn't end up getting it in the end, i got the pioneer 434 instead. About the hdcp i know it is not there in the manual that is why i had to contact them by email to confirm whether it is hdcp compliant or not.

5. booyak

booyak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Thanx again Arshad for that.

Im facing the same dilemma.. The Pioneer vs the Hitachi...

Im favouring the Hitachi mainly on cost, but the Pioneer looks a bit better but is a lot more expensive. i.e. $6300 vis $9900 Aust (£2600 vs £4100 approx). The Pioneer here inluded the media box, speakers, 5 yr warr what the Hitachi doesnt have (which I dont need eiher except for warr. which I can get as an add-on)

I also notice the grey scales (256) and colours on the hitachi (16 mill) are less than Pioneer (1024 and > 1 Bill respectively).

What swayed you in the end to go Pioneer?

Regards

Richard

6. Arshad

Arshad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    booyak,

I live in Hong Kong. Here the hitachi and pioneer were about the same price around HK$40,000 so price was not really a concern. The reasons why i went pioneer were:

1. HDMI
    2. Progressive panel(1024x768)
    3. 1 biliion colours
    4. more connections
    5. media box which i prefer it that way rather then connecting everything to the screen directly
    6. many supporter of pioneer on this forum

As you mentioned there is quite a difference in the price of pioneer vs hitachi so i would suggest you to take a good look at both the screens and decide for yourself if price is not a concern then i would recommend you to get pioneer.

Also do a little search on this forum for pioneer vs hitachi or pioneer and hitachi and go through few threads, find out what is good or bad about each screen, in the end whichever screens suits your needs best go for that one.

Cheers