Dodgy wall bracket

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Dbcoup, Aug 9, 2017.

1. Dbcoup

Dbcoup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +476
    I Was working in Manchester today, I couldnt believe someone would risk a dish on a bracket this long unsupported. Im amazed the mearest gust of wind hasnt ripped it out of the wall

[​IMG]

2. Ghostleader

Ghostleader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    Holy sh*t, with a motor as well.... Must be fun viewing when there's a wind lol

3. pedro2000uk

pedro2000uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,085
    You can see what they've tried to do in extending the arc, especially the eastern arc without going in front of the solar panels.

That stock L bracket's quite thin & malleable if it's the brand I think it is & would tend to 'give' as the weight of the dish moves.

You could design a bracket that outwardly looks like that & would be up to the job, but it would have to be made out of much thicker & ideally higher tensile steel & the plate on the wall would still need enlarging, well, depending on the bricks & mortar but they'd have to be very good otherwise that wall plate's too small for a motorised satellite dish of that size.

I got asked to do a 2.4m broadcast install the other week - the bracket had we think been designed by an aircraft engineer, the base was quite feeble for the weight of the dish & the wind loading they get - you do often see someone who is proficient in one discipline doesn't see the structural issues & how to design good satellite brackets... [there again, I can think of a few engineers over the years who'd er designed 'something' & then er.. added a bit as they misjudged how strong it needed to be (not me lol)]

4. 1080 jawbreaker

1080 jawbreaker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +901
    ive seen a few ground/flat roof mounted secured with a sturdy mount but bolted to kerb stones, they just look like they would tip over in strong wing.

that horizontal long pole install looks shocking, theres another motor on the wall further along, why not just put it there.

5. pedro2000uk

pedro2000uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,085
    They do. . I got called out to one in London that had come through a roof trashing the roof and dish etc. And the company who installed it said they only gaurantee up to 60 mph. .. you're going to get a lot more and not freak weather .. I've installed in 90 mph winds

That one was a channel master 1.2 on a tripod mount on three kerb stones .. and arranged quite close .. since I reinstalled it they've had several over 90mph and one 106 mph on the south coast and quite a lot of structural damage and several fatalities

I've seen plenty like that and installs where they've made no atrempt to protect the flat roof and if they do get blown over that usually means the dish is damaged ..