Dodgy reception on Virgin Cable

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by m.stephens, Sep 4, 2007.

1. m.stephens

m.stephens

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Wondering whether its my box or a widespread problem ?

Symptoms:

1. No picture and sound in 1 sec "pulses" - needs box unplugged and restart

2. Displaying anything interactive (prog info etc) momentarily hangs video

3. Specific channels have jerky video - UK Gold being an example

Can't be bothered to ring them up as I don't have Virgin phone these days, so not only would it take all day, it would cost me real money !

2. nialli

nialli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Where are you? What box do you have? Sounds to me like you have an issue with your box, but it's often worth checking out the Virgin Media Status page to see if it's a local or national issue (not that it's always accurate) http://www.virginmedia.com/help/check/?category=portal&app=status

3. m.stephens

m.stephens

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    There are ongoing TV outages all over VM it would seem but nothing specifically for my postcode.

The loss of picture business happened on 2 separate days but seems to be OK now.

The jerkiness is quite bizarre. I've done some testing and it only happens on UKTV non-timeshifted channels.

So UK Documentary freezes momentarily when you press the remote but Uk Doc + 1 doesnt. Same for UK Food, UK Style, UK History, UK Drama (no timeshifted version), Uk Gold, UK G2 but all the equivalent +1s work fine and so does UK Bright Ideas.

4. OneTrouble

OneTrouble

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    your signal is low..thats all..

the fix needs to be done at the green cabs..they need to move you up in the green cabs to a higher tap..which gives a much higher db

easiest way is to phone them..

turn the power off..

..say the box is on but no picture..they will say ok ill send someone out

when the person comes..tell them picture freezes and you've been told by cs that you have a low signal

job done

5. essjay

essjay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    Signal could also be too high, either way you will need a service tech out.

6. OneTrouble

OneTrouble

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    go into the engineers menu

depending on ur stb model..power down..holding up and down arrow and power on..

go to the singal status page

if its red or orange your signal is lowl..

if its above 32db it may be to high on some channels

u need a anttuantor..get one of fle bay..99p

7. m.stephens

m.stephens

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Strange that it has suddenly happened. And even stranger that it only affects those specific UKTV channels.

8. Ernie_C

Ernie_C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    That says it all! I doubt your problem will go away on it's own.

Your paying for a service including maintenance. Phone them now.

9. OneTrouble

OneTrouble

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    uktv channels need a higher signal thats all..

and it may have happend because someone down your road may have taken a sub from them..

not enough room in the green cabs..person lives further down the road from you

so they move your cable wire at the top of the taps..which give a weaker signal whereas the person further down the road needs to stronger signal so he put the new customer on the stronger tap

also your cable wire may have got a cut somehow..and obviously its causing your channels to freeze

customer services wont tell you this because they dont know how the system works.

10. Kebabhead

Kebabhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +508
    Over the last few weeks I have been experiencing intermittent picture freezing on various channels on the STB. Seems to last a few seconds but doesn't require STB to be rebooted

11. m.stephens

m.stephens

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Strange to say, it just has. I tried the business of rebooting holding down the Up and Down ( + and -) on my Pace 1010 and didn't get the engineer menu but the problem disappeared. I regularly have to reboot (i.e unplug from mains and reconnect) anyway in order to get any programme info and the problem persisted through several reboots previously so I can only assume that this was a fault which has now been fixed.

I could go along with the business of UKTV channels needing a stronger signal if it wasn't for the fact that the UKTV +1 channels didn't -maybe because they have that extra hour to make their way along the cable ?

I have found the "Technical Stuff" screen on the Settings menu and this shows a SNR of 35.0dB. I'll dig out the 6" long stack of attenuators which used to stick out of the back before they installed BB and see if dropping the SNR to 32dB improves reliability.

I would really love to get an engineer out every time it goes wrong, but as I now pay for the hours it takes to get a real person on the phone and I can't really afford to spend another entire day waiting for the engineer to turn up, it would be the last resort.

Forgot to ask - how do I get to the engineer menu on a PACE 1010T and does it do any more than being able to look at the "Technical Stuff" page ?

12. Ernie_C

Ernie_C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    Why don't you try getting your TV support via the appropriate newsgroup which is 'virginmedia.support.tv' - no need to use the telephone if you use that route and they'll even arrange to get a tech to call if necessary.

13. OneTrouble

OneTrouble

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    35db is way to high and will cause freezing pictures..

to reboot the box without pulling the power out do this..

on the stb..hold ok..left arrow and then tv..

hold one after the other..but all need to be pressed together to reboot the box..so doing one and then letting go..doesnt work..you need to hold the buttons

to get into the engineers menu..take the power out..hold the up and down arrow together..put power back in..give it 20 seconds to boot...if you get a black picture..it will be because the box is set to rgb...change your tv to composite and youll see engineers menu come up..

but if your tv is in composite mode then engineers menu will come on the screen instantly

no point asking vm people..they dont know anything..they only bill customers for the wrong amount..forward you to the wrong department..or say the problem will be fixed by 8 (when there closed)

hope ive helped in someway

14. Kevstir

Kevstir

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +185
  15. resh1988

resh1988
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, just had a v+ box installed today, unfortunatly i couldnt be in, as i was at work, i have a 32 inch r88 samsung, but the picture looks really poor, and pixelated? does anybody know why? or can help? it is connected via hdmi and is set at 720wide, but looks poor. but it looks amazing on the ps3:lease::thumbsdow

16. Cocacola

Cocacola

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Is the TV Display format set to HiDef HDMI?

On remote select:
    Home>settings(8)>change display & audio settings (4)>TV display format.
    If the settings are correct, phone VM and ask them to send out another HDMI cable in case you have a dodgy cable.
    Should arrive in the post next day.

17. CITY_MANC

CITY_MANC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Should have got a decent telly mate :rotfl:

18. m.stephens

m.stephens

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Thanks

The reset without powering off is a neat trick. I don't suppose I can do it with the remote somehow ?

Despite the fact that everything is "back to normal" I tried putting a 3dB attenuator on the back. The engineer menu shows SNR green with or without the attenuator and the 3dB caused a drop from 34.5 to 33.5.

The attenuator caused the combined AGC to intermittently drop below 300 and go red on 64QAM and it was almost permanently on red on the 256QAM screen.

RS post error was occasionally red on the 256QAM screen without the attenuator and this increased when the attenuator was added.

I think I will leave the attenuator off, as everything works as well as it is ever going to . I nornally use Freeview anyway and only need Virgin for the occasional programme.