Question Dodgy long QED HDMI cable?

andyp

Hi all

Got a bit of an odd problem, which may be HDMI cable related.

I actually started a thread over on the DVD recorders section, as the issue started with not being able to view SD DVDs on my Oppo UDP-203 4K player.

For info, my TV is a Sony 65" OLED A1 and all my AV equipment is in a cupboard in a different room and goes to TV via a QED 10m active HDMI cable, and none of what I am about to describe has been an issue previously.

After trying the player on a different TV and HDMI cable everything OK, so not the player.

Back to the original set up (over long QED HDMI cable), weirdly, my Amazon Fire TV and set-top TV boxes both play just fine down this cable.

At this stage I figured the cable was the issue and started down the route of sourcing a new cable. But, just before I ‘added to basket’ on a Ruipro 4k hybrid fiber HDMI cable, I thought I’d try different inputs on the TV….

So, my standard input on the TV is HDMI 3 (ARC), via this and HDMI 2 the issue remains, but on HDMI 1 and 4 the original DVD playback issue is fine, go figure!

Now I’m really confused! Any thoughts?

Many thanks.
Andy Parrott.

CaptainJames

Hi all

Got a bit of an odd problem, which may be HDMI cable related.

I actually started a thread over on the DVD recorders section, as the issue started with not being able to view SD DVDs on my Oppo UDP-203 4K player.

For info, my TV is a Sony 65" OLED A1 and all my AV equipment is in a cupboard in a different room and goes to TV via a QED 10m active HDMI cable, and none of what I am about to describe has been an issue previously.

After trying the player on a different TV and HDMI cable everything OK, so not the player.

Back to the original set up (over long QED HDMI cable), weirdly, my Amazon Fire TV and set-top TV boxes both play just fine down this cable.

At this stage I figured the cable was the issue and started down the route of sourcing a new cable. But, just before I ‘added to basket’ on a Ruipro 4k hybrid fiber HDMI cable, I thought I’d try different inputs on the TV….

So, my standard input on the TV is HDMI 3 (ARC), via this and HDMI 2 the issue remains, but on HDMI 1 and 4 the original DVD playback issue is fine, go figure!

Now I’m really confused! Any thoughts?

Many thanks.
Andy Parrott.
Stick with the HDMI 1 or 4 input?

I don't know much about Sonys to be honest, but isn't there something "funny" about their HDMI inputs, by funny I mean they need to be activated or something for 4K?

andyp

Thanks, yeah that's the obviously solution, but just wanted to understand what was going on considering it did used to be OK. Plus, although I don't switch HDMI sources through an AV amp (currently using a switch box), I do fully intend to when I build my surround system and will then likely need an ARC input / output.

CaptainJames

Thanks, yeah that's the obviously solution, but just wanted to understand what was going on considering it did used to be OK. Plus, although I don't switch HDMI sources through an AV amp (currently using a switch box), I do fully intend to when I build my surround system and will then likely need an ARC input / output.
Yeah, it's always irritating when something that used to work fine suddenly doesn't. Recent firmware update? Possibility of another family member inadvertently messing up the settings?

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
'Now I’m really confused! Any thoughts?' - many Display devices have differing capabilities behind their many HDMI sockets, it can come down to cost (of the chip set licence) and processing capabilities of the TV.

What format is the video signal you are sending out from the Source?

Joe

andyp

Yeah, it's always irritating when something that used to work fine suddenly doesn't. Recent firmware update? Possibility of another family member inadvertently messing up the settings?
No firmware updates that I'm aware of, Oppo blu-ray player is on latest version. Only me so no one can fiddle with anything :)

andyp

This the input spec for my TV, not sure if this helps.
5D322373-9294-40A7-A06D-75A8CD34D5F7.jpeg

andyp

'Now I’m really confused! Any thoughts?' - many Display devices have differing capabilities behind their many HDMI sockets, it can come down to cost (of the chip set licence) and processing capabilities of the TV.

What format is the video signal you are sending out from the Source?

Joe
Hi Joe, thanks for the reply, the problem only exists when trying to play a standard DVD (no display or audio), or access the player's home / user interface screen when a DVD is in the tray or it's empty. When a blu-ray disc is playing (no problem) the home screen can be seen.

CaptainJames

This the input spec for my TV, not sure if this helps.View attachment 1461345
Yes, so only inputs 2 & 3 are 4K 50/60Hz capable, so it can't be a coincidence that inputs 1 & 4 still work. They will however only work for SDR. and 4K 24Hz .

Edit
Ignore.

Last edited:

CaptainJames

Is it possible that the player is forcing DVDs to play at 24Hz?

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
HDMI Inputs - as above the * is the important ‘small print’ for you and highlights that Inputs 1 and 4 are ‘limited’ to 4K at 24p.

BDP - does it look like the player is actually reading the DVD Disc when you load a disc? And what does the Player front panel show if you hit Play?

Joe

andyp

Is it possible that the player is forcing DVDs to play at 24Hz?
mmmm not sure, but odd that it used to work and the home screen can't now be seen? Also, is it relevant that if I play a 4K blu-ray, the screen initially shows the res as 3840 x 2160p? Sorry, my knowledge is a bit thin in this area.

CaptainJames

mmmm not sure, but odd that it used to work and the home screen can't now be seen? Also, is it relevant that if I play a 4K blu-ray, the screen initially shows the res as 3840 x 2160p? Sorry, my knowledge is a bit thin in this area.
3840/2160p is actually the standard UHD format, misleading called "4K" -so nothing to worry about. Go into the player settings and see if there one related to DVD output. Also when you play a DVD, what does the TV info box show is being displayed?

andyp

Many thanks guys, really appreciated.

OK, when I switch on the player with a DVD in the tray, first I get the Oppo splash screen and it states 1080p, then goes to a blank screen with no audio. But the player 'thinks' its playing just fine, see shot of display.
(BTW when I say a blank screen the TV does display the message that no signal is being received on HDMI 3)

IMG_5457.jpg
IMG_5458.jpg

CaptainJames

Many thanks guys, really appreciated.

OK, when I switch on the player with a DVD in the tray, first I get the Oppo splash screen and it states 1080p, then goes to a blank screen with no audio. But the player 'thinks' its playing just fine, see shot of display.
(BTW when I say a blank screen the TV does display the message that no signal is being received on HDMI 3)

View attachment 1461379View attachment 1461380
Yes but what happens on 1 & 4 ? What does the TV info say is being displayed when playing a DVD?

EDIT

Also in the Oppo settings, what resolution output is selected? And what output for DVDs?

andyp

While playing a DVD, if I swap the TV input to one that I can see the screen this is the info available. In the player settings, Video output is set to Auto.

IMG_5459.jpg

CaptainJames

OK, well that looks correct, it is showing 50hz . Can you screenshot the Oppo setting pages as well?

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
The 'Oppo' Splash screen when using Input 3 on the TV is showing 1080p - presumably that will be at 60Hz

The 'working' Input on the TV (you don't say if you are using Input 1 or 4) is showing 'DVD Video 50i' when playing a disc - which will be 576i50 or 480i60 depending on the disc you are playing.

With the Oppo connected to HDMI Input 2 or 3 on the TV try using the Oppo 'resolution' button to toggle through settings and see if something works - it is an odd one as the TV spec says it should support 576/480i at 50/60Hz.

Joe

CaptainJames

Not sure if this is of any use, can't see anything else that looks relevant.

View attachment 1461420View attachment 1461421
I'm convinced it's either a setting on your player, or a setting in your TV relating to the HDMI inputs - it's too much of a coincidence that inputs 2&3 are the only ones capable of 4K 50/60Hz, and the same ones are giving you problems.

All i can suggest is tht you play about with the settings, so for instance what is "custom resolution", and why is it set to 1080p? Can it be set to either 4K or Native? Also try switching the DVD conversion on.

On the TV, go into the settings and check everything related to the HDMI inputs - are they set differently ?

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
'I'm convinced' - the Active HDMI cable may be screwing up the EDID the Source is seeing and the Source/Display are getting confused.

Joe

andyp

Morning guys, once again thanks so much for all your help and assistance.

OK, update.... think we've sussed it!

To answer Joe's question, with the original 'problematic' set up (DVD playback, 10m cable into HDMI 3 (ARC)), scrolling through the resolution settings using the remote button, the DVD DOES display OK when resolution is set to Direct mode, i.e. native res on the disc.

And now the break through (Joe was ahead of me!).... it dawned on me that the one test I hadn't done in my haste to discount the player having an issue, was to try ALL the TV HDMI inputs with the player plugged in locally next to the TV with a short HDMI cable. Yep you guessed it, every input played just fine!

So it has to be the long 10m active cable right? A cable failure then?

Thanks again.
Andy.

CaptainJames

Morning guys, once again thanks so much for all your help and assistance.

OK, update.... think we've sussed it!

To answer Joe's question, with the original 'problematic' set up (DVD playback, 10m cable into HDMI 3 (ARC)), scrolling through the resolution settings using the remote button, the DVD DOES display OK when resolution is set to Direct mode, i.e. native res on the disc.

And now the break through (Joe was ahead of me!).... it dawned on me that the one test I hadn't done in my haste to discount the player having an issue, was to try ALL the TV HDMI inputs with the player plugged in locally next to the TV with a short HDMI cable. Yep you guessed it, every input played just fine!

So it has to be the long 10m active cable right? A cable failure then?

Thanks again.
Andy.
After all that lol! Sometimes the simplest solution is the correct one. Glad you got there in the end, long HDMI cables can be such a nightmare.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Good detective work by all.

'So it has to be the long 10m active cable right? A cable failure then?' - It may be that the active chip set either doesn't support the signal or it has an issue.

If you are replacing the 10m cable have a look at the New Fibre cables we have received from HDFury - have been testing them and sent out a few and all great feedback so far.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung HW-Q800A Soundbar & Rotel Michi X3 Reviews + TV show and Movie News & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Disney picks up Sony's cinema releases post Netflix in US
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Netflix UK for May 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sony unveils X-Series wireless speakers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 21st April 2021