1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dodgy Film Ratings...

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by CrispyXUK, Jun 27, 2005.

1. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    as in age certification, Ive seen a few films these days were the age rating seems highly inapropriate, Terminator 3 being one of them, how it got a 12 rating is beyond me. The worst I have heard of is "Amadeus" Directors cut being a PG whilst using the "C" word are there any that you have spotted that have either been too low a rating or too high?

2. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +222
    I think on the whole, the BBFC have been getting it right recently with the classifications. They have had numours consultations with the public and gone through some what of a revamp in becoming more open to the way they do things. There is even a new student site that has recently gone on line .

There has also been a lot less cuts being implemented by the BBFC since Mr James Feman left a number of years ago ,which in my opinion ,can only be a good thing.

When you get down to the nitty gritty of film classification there are always going to be people who will find something more tolarable for their children or themselves than others. I remember that when Temple of doom came out in the states their classifiers came under heavy fire for allowing it to be uncut at PG, one of the strongest PGs that had ever been allowed at that point.

There has also been incidences of local councils overriding the BBFCs decisions . I think the first spider man was reclassified some where in the uk to allow younger children to see it, so when all is considered I don't think they are doing a bad job at the moment.

As for Terminator 3.
    well lets look t thier guide lines for certification.

It was a 12A in the cinema and a solid 12 on video/DVD. This is because there is no 12A rating for home viewing. It also means that the certificate is slightly higher for home viewing as well.

No-one younger than 12 may see a ‘12A’ film in a cinema unless accompanied by an adult. No-one younger than 12 may rent or buy a ‘12’ rated video or DVD. Responsibility for allowing under-12s to view lies with the accompanying or supervising adult.

Theme
    Mature themes are acceptable, but their treatment must be suitable for young teenagers.

Language
    The use of strong language (eg ‘****’) must be infrequent. Racist abuse is also of particular concern.

Nudity
    Nudity is allowed, but in a sexual context must be brief and discreet.

Sex
    Sexual activity may be implied. Sex references may reflect what is likely to be familiar to most adolescents but should not go beyond what is suitable for them.

Violence
    Violence must not dwell on detail. There should be no emphasis on injuries or blood. Sexual violence may only be implied or briefly and discreetly indicated.

Imitable techniques
    Dangerous techniques (eg combat techniques, hanging, suicide and self-harming) should not dwell on imitable detail or appear pain or harm free. Easily accessible weapons should not be glamorised.

Horror
    Sustained moderate threat and menace are permitted. Occasional gory moments only.

Drugs
    Any misuse of drugs must be infrequent and should not be glamorised or instructional.

The advice from the BBFC on what the film contains.

Advice for consumers
    Concise Contains strong language and fantasy violence.
    Language Infrequent, strong
    Sex/Nudity Once, moderate, nudity
    Violence Frequent, some strong, fantasy
    Other None

Remember that the 12 and 12A certificates were brought in because of the genrall public saying that some films did not desreve a soild 15 certificate.
    So what you have to figure out is , doesTterminator 3 contain enough violence and bad langguage to warrant a hard 15 certificate, or should parents, given that the BBFC now supplies advice as well as certification, be given the choce to deside for them selves. Like I said they have made some mistakes in the past (your amadeus directors cut for example, which I have a feeling is an actuall mistake rather than it being allowed in at that rating.) but I think at the moment the system is pretty good.

Amadeus consumer advice............

Advice for consumers
    Language Some, mild ........................(it would appear that if you are correct about the use of the "c" word than it was a mistake and may have even been missed bt the examiners of the film)
    Sex/Nudity Some semi-nudity
    Violence Some theatrical horror
    Other None

Dave.

3. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    The worst I can remember is the original Star Wars trilogy, all rated U. God knows how they got away with that.

4. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I think Batman Begins was on the cusp for 12A but didn't warrant a 15. Therein lies the problem I think. :)

5. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Yeah I've always wondered that, what with all the fighting, severed limbs etc.

Yes the BBFC have been much better lately and have stopped giving everything 18 ratings, I have noticed they the main difference between 15 & 18 seems to be stronge sexual conent, but I still dont understand the rating for T3 and never will, it has at least 3 uses of the word f***, quite a bit of violence (hand through the car seat anyone) and quite a heavy theme how this gets the same rating as spiderman is beyond me, its is for example much worse in content than the matrix films which are 15's.

6. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Because it's classed as fantasy, like Tom & Jerry.

I remember George Lucas saying he deliberately made the Stormtroopers faceless so he could slaughter them at will!

7. Mad Jack

Mad Jack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    They're not the only ones, and I've watched the DVD a couple of times now. :confused:

8. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    Hi,

I would certainly prefer "Terminator 3" to have been a 15 rating, rather than a 12A or 12. I actually e-mailed the BBFC and complained, stating that I personally felt the content was too strong for a 12A certificate in cinemas, and at the time I went to see it, severl people had young-ish children of 7 or 8 years of age! :nono:

The BBFC did e-mail me back, and the reply was that the film was definitely on a borderline 12/15 certificate, (for both cinemas and home viewing). In fact, the first viewing by the BBFc got a mixed 12A/15 ratings, and so the then president of the BBFC Andreas Whittam-Smith, viewed it personally with another set of examiners, and between all of them felt that the film was just safe enough to warrant a 12A in cinemas and a 12 on home video. Theire reasons were, that:
    - the violence wasn't felt to be overtly intense or personalised
    - it was a stylised comic-book fantasy film, that younger audience members would easily have been able to understand
    - that the 3 uses of the "f-word" were used in a non-aggressive manner, in situations, rather than used by characters against other characters as a vulgarism.
    - good ultimately triumphs over evil, and
    - that violence is shown to not generally be seen to give a good outcome

However, I find this troublesome because:
    - "The Terminator" was originally an 18, and still is on home video, yet you buythe exact same, uncut version on DVD, but with a 15 certificate.
    - "Terminator 2" was a slightly cut 15 at cinemas, and then cut more for home-viewing in the UK, but still retaining its 15 certificate. Then an uncut UK laserdisc came out, and that was raised to 18. Later on, longer, but still cut versions of T2 came out on UK home video, and all were given a 15 rating. The most recent release, is the original and completely uncut version, for UK DVD release, and is still a 15 certificate. (The violence isn't overtly graphic, but it is pretty much unrelenting, either it being gun usage, fist-fights, chases, etc, etc)

As the original contains some strong and graphically violent footage, I can see why it was given a 15 for UK DVD. Ditto with T2 being uncut. It would therefore make more sense to me, to make Terminator 3, a 15 also, keeping all three films in the series at roughly the same level.

Nowadays, providing no explicit language is used, or is at least infrequent and contextualised, then the BBFC will often give a film a 15 rating, e.g. "Aliens V Predator", "Jason X", etc, etc. Only the strongest or most adult of films will now get an 18 rating, e.g. "Sin City".

With regards to "Batman Begins", again, it was felt that a 15 certificate would be too restrictive, and that a 12A would be more appropriate, even though again - just as with "Terminator 3" - the film comes at the stronger end of a 12A rating.

I'd highly recommend anyone interested in why the BBFC make the decisions that they do, download the PDF files of their Annual Reports. This can be done here! :smashin:

Each download covers the previous year, e.g. the latest report came out in May 2005, but covers May 2004-May 2005, etc, etc. Each report is always released in May/June. Unless you're mad, I wouldn't recommend printing the reports out, as most of them run betweem 120-200 pages! But they are always interesting to read - moreso about the films that get pre-cut and why, or how certain films are banned or rejected. Enjoy! :)

Pooch

9. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Now if Batman had bad language it should have been a 15 but it didnt unlike t3

10. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Regarding film censorship as an example i would say look at Fellowship of the Rings - how this got a PG rating is beyond me, it contains headbutts and heads being cut off, yet take a look at Star Wars Attack of the Clones which has had a headbutt removed for a PG certificate, both have fantasy elements but are treated differently, now i appreciate the reasons given by the BBFC but i think they got it wrong there.

I think when Ferman left the BBFC improved in leaps and bounds and is getting it right and more often than not these days if a film is cut its because the distributors wanted a lower age certificate, the BBFC now allows 2 different versions of a film to be released which is very pleasing and i think the balance is almost spot on now.

11. robyoung

robyoung

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Re: Terminator 3 "Good ultimately triumphs over evil"

Does it? I seem to remember them being trapped in a bunker awaiting the Nuclear holocaust to destroy the world...! ;)

rob

12. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +222
    I think what we also have to consider ,is that movies are classified within the context of the current times. Ie a film that may have got a 15 or even 18 ten years ago, is more acceptable for a larger majority of people these days at a lower classification. Signs of the times if you will. :)