1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dodgy DVI

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by adieboy, May 29, 2005.

1. adieboy

adieboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi,
    I've just tried connecting my Radeon 9600XT to my projector via DVI. All I get is a flickery, low-res (840x380?) image.
    "Display properties" only offers this resolution.
    I've never used DVI before, as this is the first time I've had a suitable display.
    I've just purchased Gary Lightfoot's NEC HT1000- he was running an almost identical hardware configuration- same graphics card, cable, etc.
    Any ideas, Guys???

Cheers Adie

2. bigfatsi

bigfatsi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hopefully someone will come along and help you soon. Have you tried something like powerstrip?

3. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    It should work fine with the standard 1024 x 768 which is what I was using.

Have you tried installing the latest ATI drivers? I wonder if that might help.

Also try it without the vga connected so that it only sees the DVI connection. That might force it to look at the NEC and decide what resolutions it should be using. How have you got the ATI panel configured for displays? I had it set to use alt F5 to switch between them as in the past having two running at the same time would cause problems (That was a later driver issue as it wasn't a problem with previous drivers).

Other than the cable being iffy, I can't think of anything else right now. VGA worked perfectly didn't it?

Gary.

4. adieboy

adieboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Gary,

I must be honest, I haven't tried any other drivers, just the generic Catalyst ones - I'll try Sapphire's next.
    VGA is perfect (I tried only plugging in DVI on it's own - no change. I'm beginning to suspect the cable.

Adie

5. adieboy

adieboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Gary,
    I've re-installed all my ATI software, with the latest drivers. Working OK now.I don't think it was the display driver itself but the version of ATI's control panel. I still wasn't able to select any higher resolutions via the standard "Display Properties" dialogue box but only via ATI's "Control Center". Curious but not a problem.
    I must say that I would be hard-pressed to tell the difference between the analogue and digital feeds, they both look good.

Adie

6. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    Hi Adie,

Glad to hear that fixed it. :)

I also found it hard to tell the diference between the two, but close up you can sometimes see more noise in the picture with the analogue connection. It's most noticable with test patterns, but fortunately we don't watch those very often. :)

With the DVI connection you'll have to set white and black levels with the software DVD player as those adjustments aren't available via DVI. There's a basic tutorial on the DLP forum to help you find the relevant chapters with DVE.

Gary.