Dodgy Dell PC

PlasmaVirgin

Hope someone can help me with a problem.

I'm trying to fix my brother's computer as it has just about ground to a halt. It is a Dell Dimension desktop and about 4 years old now and running Windows XP. Recently it has been taking an absolute age to start up. I thought this might be a Windows issue at first, but when I visited him to check what was happening I noticed that the machine won't even get past the initial DOS bootup for about 10 minutes.

I've checked all connections both externally and inside the case and there isn't a loose cable, card, drive, etc to be seen. I thought about going into the BIOS settings to check things out, but it won't even do this. Instead, upon powerup it just sits there with a black screen and flashing white cursor for about 10 minutes before eventually going into Windows. Even then, it takes another 10 minutes for Windows to get going.

I asked him how the hell he has been putting up with it and he said him and the missus just leave the machine on for a few days at a time now to save all the faffing around at boot-up.

Anyone got any ideas as to what might be wrong and what I can check out on it? :confused::lease:

Mr Incredible

Distinguished Member
To me it sounds as though it's a hard disk problem. A quick boot off a floppy (or Linux CD) should give a hint as to whether it is a disk or another issue that is slowing the whole PC down. It'l be a process of elimination I'm afraid.

leeb

I was going to post a similar reply. Sounds like a dodgy harddrive. Try disconnecting it completely and see if you can quickly get into the BIOS without the long flashing cursor.

The latest video from AVForums

LG CX Best Picture Settings
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom