1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dodgy Dave

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by cheeseburger, Apr 17, 2004.

1. cheeseburger

cheeseburger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Arcamists.

Is it me or am I the only one who gets the gash gear that always falls apart?

I have had my DV27 replaced due to meltdown.

My P35 was stillborn straight from the box.

The A22/DAVE turned into just an A22 when the DAVE decided to die a death on me about six months ago. With all due respect to Arcam they did turn it around quite quickly.

A few weeks ago the phono stage started to sound like it was submerged in water. Again fair play to Arcam as they turned it around in ten days.

I have been using the A22/DAVE today, and if by magic DAVE has dissapeared again. Arcam home theatre has gone from the display and I now have an expensive two channel amp.

Is it worth spending £4400 to have this tackle spend more time in transit back and forth to Arcam or is it really me that is unlucky with anything that has a plug on it.

If anyone has any ideas on my latest problem then I would appreciate any comments or advice you have.

On Monday I shall be putting my thoughts to John Dawson to see if he feels I Mr Unlucky and should stick with his brands, as I would like to uprade eventually to the 7 ch amp and processor.

Many thanks in advance of any advice.

Mike

2. pringtef

pringtef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Agree with Miron, get youre 'leccy checked!

I've never had any problems with any of my Arcam kit, only gripe i've ever had has been with the remtote controls supplied with the FMJ kit!

3. cheeseburger

cheeseburger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All of the components are plugged in to a filtered mains lead.

House is brand new!

I have had problems with noise in the mains but have fitted suppressors on offending items eg. stats and freezer.

I think I may have Lady badluck on my side.

4. Miron

Miron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    might be a spooky house ...

5. pringtef

pringtef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    "They're here....................................."

6. RaceTripper

RaceTripper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I had an electrician wire a dedicated 30 amp circuit for the HT, with heavy duty outlets. That way, I don't have to worry about side effects of other devices in the house (unless the main panel goes wrong).

Dean

7. fraggle

fraggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Err, wrong I think.

All circuits go back to the single mains feed that comes into your house.

The might go through a fuse (thin piece of wire)
    Or an RCD (trips out if too much current flowing through earth)
    But I really doubt any electrical main panel has RF filtering in it.

So when your fridge turns on/off and injects its usual huge spike of RF back into the mains, it'll still just go back to the mains panel and then down your seperate feed and into your AV gear.

Of course the seperate feed might go into a nice decent RF filter / surge supressor and then to your AV gear, in which case it'll be a mighty lot happier! :)

8. RaceTripper

RaceTripper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    OK, but I do have everything connected to a Transparent Powerbank 6

Dean

9. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    No one is that unlucky, it must be your area mains... :eek:

10. cheeseburger

cheeseburger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dodgy DAVE is back!

I had already tried turning off the A22 and turning it back on via the power button on the front panel to no avail.

I then turned off the power at the wall to box up the amp for its annual vacation to Arcam when I decided to turn it back on for a final look. To my surprise Arcam home theatre popped up and DAVE was back.

All the AV settings had reset to factory, which makes me think either a loose connection or a software issue could be at fault.
    A loose wire is not favourite as the unit is not moved or subject to any vibration.

Any further advice would be much appreciated. I am just happy I have not got to lose the amp again. I will try Arcam on Monday as they are always helpfull over the blower.

Many thanks Mike.

11. steeled

steeled

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Hi Cheeseburger

I have had an Alpha 10/DAVE system for around 3 or 4 years now and have noticed that from time to time the DAVE module appears to disappear. (It has not happened for a while now). As you say the only way to get it back is to remove the mains (switching off at the front is not enough). Mine does this if you try and change the settings while the bitstream input changes from say PCM stereo to Dolby Digital.

Had no other problems with the 10/DAVE and the Alpha 8 Tuner/Alpha 8 CD and Alpha 10/P3 that form the rest of the system.

Hope this helps

David Steele

12. cheeseburger

cheeseburger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that Steeled.

I am glad I am not alone with this 'glitch'.

I do not think it can be overly common, as when I first had this problem, Arcam asked for the machine back to remedy the fault.
    They never metioned switching off at the wall.

At least next time I know where to look first. Walmart- for a £79 disposable DVD player, and a 95 year olds hearing capability.

Cheers.

13. nightrider_1uk

nightrider_1uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Never hand any problems with my Arcam gear, right from originally owning an A60AP, except fro one small problem many years ago. (when I had the A60). Started to get a buzz on phono after moving.

In short after having the A60 checked, the ARC050 (speakers) checked and the rega arm re-wired all for free (now thats what I called customer service) the problem turned out to be mains born. hum stopped after I moved again.

Had an Alpha 10/Dave/10P3 set up for a while now, not planning to change again unless somthing happens to the Dave.

I have heard rumors that Arcam are no longer repairing Dave units, dont know if this is true, can anybody enligthen. (Will post his question on new thread

Colin