Dodgy Amp

Toonaroond

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi, bit of technical know how required. Have just bought a second hand Cambridge Audio A5 amp off Ebay and have tried it out with my Arcam CD62 and Wharfedale DIamond 9.1s.

Problem is that when listening at low volumes no/very little sound comes out of the right speaker. When you turn the volume up a bit, sound comes out of both but (and I may be imagining this) the right speaker always seems quieter than the left.

I switched left and right speakers around and they both work ok on the left so it must be something wrong with the amp or the cables (which are also second hand) when it comes to feeding this right channel.

Any ideas what the problem is? (apart from buying from Ebay in the first place :rolleyes: )

Cheers

Likely problem is simply poor matching between the 2 sides of a (relatively) cheap volume pot....this isnt uncommon,but it is very irritating.

Assuming it has a balance control,you may be able to use that to overcome the problem by setting the level slightly higher,and using it to reset the balance.

Cheers alexs2, have played around with cables and stuff and the problem is mainly noticable at low volumes and not really at all when I weight the balance as you suggest. For what this amp cost me second hand I think I can live with it...

Cheers for advice:thumbsup:

.........Oh and now I've noticed a "squelch" noise from the speakers when I turn off the amp (again this is louder in the left speaker :rolleyes: ). I would expect the dull thud that accompanies it, but is the squelch not a good sign??

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom