1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dodgy Aerial Installers

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by windfall, Aug 27, 2005.

1. windfall

windfall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Guys

Bit of bother here!

I have been trying to get an aeriel fitted to my other house.
    I called up a company in thompson local called ViewTek and spoke to someone about the cost of the aeriel. They said they would come along and give us a no obligation quote. We aimed for 1pm onwards yesterday (friday). The aeriel is bein fitted to a rented out house so I have to call my tennants everytime I need something done.
    Basically the guy never turned up, I called them later in the afternoon - they didnt apologise, she said the engineer was stuck on another callout, but I could have 1st thing Sat AM. Back to tennant "ok for SAT AM?" Yes ok I'll le the Aeriel people know. Sat AM came and again no show.
    I'm back on the phone and they say Sat PM but tenants dont agree so on the next phone call ViewTek say there will be some one with you in half an hour (11.09 that call came in).
    So I tell the tennants that they will be in by 12pm (giving them 50 mins).
    Next thing I know is at 1pm I get a call saying no one is at the house. Of course the tennants have got fed up waiting and have now gone out.

So the bloke from ViewTek says he is gonna charge me a call out. And says he will put an invoice through the door, so I explain that he failed to show on 3 occasions in 2 days and that it was also only for a quote - which if I was happy with would go ahead. He has said if I dont pay itin 7 days I will hauled into court.

Its a pee poor company for cust services and cannot deliver what they say.

Would anyone be able to give me some advice as to where I stand with the invoice. I told him I would not be paying it, and I am minded to send him an invoice for all my time (part time land lord innit!) and all the calls for twice what he tries on me. Then when he does not pay my invoice I will counter claim.

Please any experiences and factual based opinions would help.

Cheers

Tone

2. FaxFan2002

FaxFan2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    You haven't entered into a contract verbal or otherwise, based on that I'd ignore the invoice.

3. Heinz

Heinz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Make a written record now of the times and dates of the calls you have made and, using first person speech, what you can remember of the conversations (particularly the part about the free quotation) and date and time those records.

If it ever reachers the Small Claims Court (highly unlikely in my opinion), you'll have the evidence to refute any claim.

The alternative if to involve the local press - they love 'rip-off trader' stories these days.

4. windfall

windfall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Hi Chaps

Faxfan - Yeah I believe your correct - the whole "contract" would have been based on the no obligation quote that did not happen in the end!

Heinz121 - I have done what you have suggested also - I will consider the press as you suggest.

Would you not think the whole of HIS claim would be based on what we said between us? I mean he will possibly lie and I will maintain my line as stated above. As far as I am concerned myself and tennant gave them 3 chances, but he would probably LIE if it went to court and suggest he was turning up to install the airiel.
    There is no record of the conversations so the Registrar in the court would surely just tell him to go and wake up?

Again thanks for your responses - I doubt it will go further but recently I have learnt to expect the unexpected!

Adios
    Tone

5. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,264
    If you still need the aerial, it's best to pick an installer that is a member of the CAI.

6. windfall

windfall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
  7. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,264
    The CAI have a Code Of Practice and a Complaints Procedure. It's worth mentioning that if they do give you any grief.

8. windfall

windfall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Hi Gary
    Thats very useful to know, I will look into this as well.

Cheers

Tone

9. TrevP

TrevP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds like a company to avoid....trying / threatening to charge you for a call out which was supposed to be a no obligation quote. Just ignore the invoice. No chance of going to court

10. SamRadford

SamRadford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +309
    I'll tell you a little story which I got direct from the manager of a local TV company. He'd been advertising "Free call out" in the local paper.

One day a customer asked them to check out his TV which wasn't working very well. They duly sent out a technician who checked and found that the aerial plug had fallen out. Once that was in, it was obvious that the TV had "forgotten" the channels so he spent 20 minutes tuning them back in. When he'd finished, he handed the customer a bill for £25.

The customer disputed the bill, refused to pay and it ended up in the Small Claims Court. The judge found the TV company at fault because they'd advertised "free call out" then charged for the call out. The company's protests fell on deaf ears. Legally, the judge said, they couldn't charge for *anything* that occurred during a "free call out". They could only charge if they took something back to the workshop with the customer's agreement.

Since then, they've been advertising "local call out" and omitting the "free" word!

11. SeanT

SeanT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +371
    Report them to the ASA and trading standards too.

12. windfall

windfall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Hi Guys
    Thanks for your help. The company may have shot themselves in the foor as their advert shows "no call out charge".
    As yet I dont know if he left an invoice as my tennant has not come back to me.

Again thanks!

Tone

13. windfall

windfall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Gary - I went onto the CAI website and the following text sits at the bottom of their complaints page.

"You are advised that a copy of this complaint in its entirety will be forwarded to the member concerned in order that a speedy resolution maybe achieved without further CAI intervention."

Basically you use the CAI website to redirect the complaint directly to the company in question and then they wash their hands of it.

Nice One!

One nice thing is that at the bottom of their advert in the thompsons directory it clearly states - "No call out charge!"

I have consulted my solicitor and he suggests I send them a bill for the 3 times we arranged and counter claim against them. So if anyone else is getting grief I sincerely hope this helps you out.

Cheers

Tone

14. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Where in Midlands?

15. windfall

windfall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    They are based in Mansfield and serve North Bucks, Northants and East Mids, but cover a wider area if you can wait 3 weeks!

Cheers
    Tone