• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Dodgey Zoom

jamesgeorge

Standard Member
Hi Everyone,

I have a Panasonic FS30 compact camera which was bought for me as a Xmas present. From day one had what I would call a "laboured zoom lens." By this I mean when I switch the camera on each time the lens extends (as it should do) but the motor sounds as if it is struggling a bit - even on a fully charged battery. I feel that this is not quite right and the slight delay it causes may be the difference between getting a good instant picture shot or missing it. Everything else seems to work ok on the camera apart from this rather annoying detail. Has anyone else experienced this problem with this camera or have I got a tea-break model? Any help will be much appreciated.:)

shotokan101

Banned
Hi Everyone,

I have a Panasonic FS30 compact camera which was bought for me as a Xmas present. From day one had what I would call a "laboured zoom lens." By this I mean when I switch the camera on each time the lens extends (as it should do) but the motor sounds as if it is struggling a bit - even on a fully charged battery. I feel that this is not quite right and the slight delay it causes may be the difference between getting a good instant picture shot or missing it. Everything else seems to work ok on the camera apart from this rather annoying detail. Has anyone else experienced this problem with this camera or have I got a tea-break model? Any help will be much appreciated.:)

Go to comet or jessops etc. and try and find the same model and compare it...

Jim

jamesgeorge

Standard Member
Thanks for your quick reply. What I should have said was that I have already compared similar models in Best Buy, Curry's etc but because the FS30 is an discontinued model I could not compare like for like. However, my son and my daughter both have TZ models (8 & 10) I think but neither seem to have the same "laboured" sound to the zoom. If it's just the FS30 that suffers from this fault genericly then ok but if other people have faultess ones then I need to get mine fixed.

jamesgeorge

Standard Member
Thanks to all those that replied with suggestions. Although a definate solution has not yet been found your suggestions have helped me make decide to send the camera back under manufacture warranty. Bit of a cheek that Panasonic do not pay the postage from my end but at least they don't charge the return from their end. Just hope the turn - around time is quick!

topgazza

Distinguished Member
I sent a Panasonic DVD player back last year and they refunded the postage, £5, when they established it was a genuine fault. Of course the consumer shouldn't pay and a lot of companies send or allow you to print off prepaid labels to ship with. Some manufacturers just haven't got that set up.I suspect because of the volume and NFF returns. Maybe...

jamesgeorge

Standard Member
Person who bought the camera for me ontacted Best Buy where the camera was purchased from and now it seems I don't have to send it at my own expense for repair. I will see how it pans out. Watch this space!

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom