Doctors - SystemOnline - Are you on it? Any risks?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Tempest, Aug 12, 2018.

1. Tempest

Tempest
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,584
    Had a search and could not find anything about this on the forums, so forgive me if it's been talked about and I can't find it.

Anyway. I picked this form at my docs the other day.
    SystemOnline - Book/Request/Register.

Basically you fill out the form and take it to your docs with some ID, then, if all ok, shortly after you can log in to:

Book named GP routine appointments
    Request repeat prescriptions
    View you medial summary record
    See your coded medical record which includes your test results.

Now, this all sounds good, not that I have use for much of that right now, but viewing results, and perhaps booking future appointments rather than hanging around on the phone line to get through.

There is a warning, saying that I'm basically responsible for the security and if I let anyone else see/access my records then it's down to me, and also to let them know if I think my account has been accessed by someone without my agreement, which is pretty much the norm.

Anyone else, done this?
    Any risks one can see?
    I'm presuming my, and everyone's records are already on-line, its just that I don't have an account/can't get access to them.
    I'm not actually putting any records about me, now on in the future at any higher risk of getting hacked, AT THEIR END by signing up?

Just thought I'd ask for opinions before I sign up, in case there is some big NO DON'T DO IT warning I'm unaware of.

2. Jase

Jase
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,417
    It's quite handy if you need repeat prescriptions as you can just pop on-line, order them and they get sent to the local chemist you've chosen for collection. Your entire medical history/record isn't on there. Just things related to GP appointments and any results/reports for tests they have arranged (blood tests for example).

With my local GP you sign up and they send you a log-in name and password and request you immediately change that assigned password for another one.

I find it quite useful personally. :)

3. MrFraggle

MrFraggle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,761
    I am on it up here in Edinburgh, though it is called Patient Access. So far I can make appointments and request repeat prescriptions which are sent to the pharmacy of choice. As yet I do not have access to my medical records which I would like to have.

I have just discovered that calling the NHS hotline 111 is a pretty hit and miss. I have had to phone on behalf of my partner who has COPD and is 75 years of age and we will need to wait at least 2 hours before we can speak to a doctor.

4. hyperfish

hyperfish
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,509
    Been using Patient Access for a few of years. Works well enough for my annual checks but not so for more immediate needs. Available appointment slots are always a week or more on the horizon. If necessary I phone for a cancellation slot and usually get a call to come in sooner. Arranging to pick up a prescription was fine but I use Pharmacy2U now and get it delivered.

5. Tempest

Tempest
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,584
    Thanks to all for the reassurance.
    I just wanted to check in case it was something I should stay well clear of due to some news I did not know about.
    I'll fill in the form now :)

6. rancidpunk

rancidpunk
    In Memoriam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,964
    I mainly used it to book appointments, which it is absolutely useless for. Can't book beyond 3 weeks, and never an appointment free within 4 weeks.

7. drhcnip

drhcnip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +873
    used it for a while (patient access) and find it very good as we have a few things we need on repeat...it's good for booking routine appointments in 1-3 weeks but still have to ring up for emergency appointments...

8. DIYlady

DIYlady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,050
    Patient access here too. Good for repeat prescriptions. Can use to book appointments, but rarely much available. Given the NHS is somewhat prone to IT issues, then probably not massively secure but it is convenient

9. SteveCritten

SteveCritten
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,833
    I am on it but it is systmonline not system. I use it as I am coeliac and don’t order items monthly they can be random.