• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Doctor Who taking a gap year

Steven

Senior Moderator
Now all I need to hear is BB is taking a "gap year" as well and its :clap:

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
If Catherine Tate is to be persistent through 2008, then 2008 will also be a gap year as far as I am concerned. In fact, that may easily be enough to make me forget to bother watching again. In fact, it began to suffer as soon as Eccleston left IMO.

krish

Distinguished Member
this kind of confirms the rumours leaked in the tabloids some time ago

... they first said Who would be cancelled after season 4, then that it would only be back for specials, and also that DT would certainly not be doing a fifth series as he's signed up for Hamlet at the RSC during 2008/09 when he would normally expected to be shooting Who

So what we have is the beeb bending over backwards to accomodate DT's sabbatical, even though he's most probably not going to return for series 5 in 2010 (apart from a regeneration scene perhaps) which will hopefully see Steven Moffat running the show.

Also looks like the break is to enable them to gear up for the change in production team and transition to HD ... effectively a new show requiring the same kind of lead time as when it returned in 2005 having been announced 2/3 years earlier.

brian s

Distinguished Member
Has there been any word of the length of the episodes? If there were 90minute specials that would almost be half a series.

All the best
Bri

P

pags payback

If Catherine Tate is to be persistent through 2008, then 2008 will also be a gap year as far as I am concerned. In fact, that may easily be enough to make me forget to bother watching again. In fact, it began to suffer as soon as Eccleston left IMO.

I have to agree with you Eccleston was superb but however I put down David Tennant's sub-par Dr Who down to writing not the actor's ability. Admittedly Eccleston raised the bar with what he was given. Even the poor episodes Eccleston was an extreme highlight which Tennant has not managed on equivalent episodes. But I do feel Tennant has suffered with a lot more weaker material .

I also have to agree with you that Catherine Tate being named as the companion seems an odd choice and I can't help but think it's a red herring. While I'm sure certain quarters liked her, a large percentage absolutely hated her. So I think maybe they're trying to give the UK public a surprise for a change. UNLESS the gap year is about RTD going into rehab for an addiction to hallucinogenic drugs, I can't explain Catherine Tate replacing an excellent companion with any rational reasons... Even more so with the actress who played Sally Sparrow proving herself during the terrific episode "blink".

As for the "special" episodes filling between season 4 and 5 if RTD is behind them I have little to no faith that they are going to be anything but :censored: poor just like the Christmas specials.

Now if MOFFAT (spelling?) was writing any specials I would have infinitely more Faith. He appears to be the only writer of any talent working on Dr Who, let's hope by the time season five appears he's hired other quality writers !

Has there been any word of the length of the episodes? If there were 90minute specials that would almost be half a series.

All the best
Bri

I would imagine they would be feature length.

The question is will the Christmas 2008 special be one of the three specials between season 4 and 5? Will this mean that there will only be a Christmas 2008, Christmas 2009 and one more "special" as part of the three "specials".

brian s

Distinguished Member
I would imagine they would be feature length.

The question is will the Christmas 2008 special be one of the three specials between season 4 and 5? Will this mean that there will only be a Christmas 2008, Christmas 2009 and one more "special" as part of the three "specials".

Only if Xmas 2009 was on Xmas Eve and that would be taking the pee.

Bri

krish

Distinguished Member
Now if MOFFAT (spelling?) was writing any specials I would have infinitely more Faith. He appears to be the only writer of any talent let's hope by the time season five appears he's hired other quality writers !
Him, Paul Cornell (Father's Day & Human Nature/ Family Of Blood adapted from his novel) and Rob Shearman (Dalek - slightly adapted from his audio play Jubilee) have been the best Dr Who writers, all with strong Dr Who credentials well before the series returned

brian s

Distinguished Member
Him, Paul Cornell (Father's Day & Human Nature/ Family Of Blood adapted from his novel) and Rob Shearman (Dalek - slightly adapted from his audio play Jubilee) have been the best Dr Who writers, all with strong Dr Who credentials well before the series returned

Quite agree and I seem to be one of the few to think RTD is good for Who. Without him there'd be nothing to pull apart. It could be better but I'd rather have some Who than none at all.

Best wishes
Bri

soundstory

The longer the break the better, RTD should have well and truely moved on to butchering another BBC classic series by then.

brian s

Distinguished Member
Also looks like the break is to enable them to gear up for the change in production team and transition to HD ....

Krish

Is this just speculation or have you heard something? HD Who would be very nice.:thumbsup: Hope they up the budget to cope with it.

Cheers
Bri

krish

Distinguished Member
I heard it mentioned when the series came back ... that if it was successful and recommissioned for a few more seasons that they intended to shoot in HD by 2010. It was also mentioned when Torchwood started that this was a testbed for it.

Still somewhat speculative though ;)

brian s

Distinguished Member
I heard it mentioned when the series came back ... that if it was successful and recommissioned for a few more seasons that they intended to shoot in HD by 2010. It was also mentioned when Torchwood started that this was a testbed for it.

Still somewhat speculative though ;)

Thanks Krish

I don't have access to Sky HD so I hope any HD Who is released quickly to HD DVD and/or Blu-Ray.

All the best
Bri

Oakwood

As a "Who" viewer from day 1, I have to say that Russell T Davies has to be congratulated for what he has done. Some diehard Who fans(with an encyclopaedic memory of every episode from 1963) might disagree, but its been a cracking piece of entertainment for a Saturday night.

If the gap year, with specials, means that we get a full series with David Tennant in 2010, that"s great. If not, he should be thanked with Christopher Ecclestone for doing a grand job, along with RTD(and the whole production team) as well as Billie Piper in resurrecting and revitalising a piece of tv history. Roll on Kylie on the Titanic this Xmas!

brian s

Distinguished Member
As a "Who" viewer from day 1, I have to say that Russell T Davies has to be congratulated for what he has done. Some diehard Who fans(with an encyclopaedic memory of every episode from 1963) might disagree, but its been a cracking piece of entertainment for a Saturday night.

If the gap year, with specials, means that we get a full series with David Tennant in 2010, that"s great. If not, he should be thanked with Christopher Ecclestone for doing a grand job, along with RTD(and the whole production team) as well as Billie Piper in resurrecting and revitalising a piece of tv history. Roll on Kylie on the Titanic this Xmas!

As a diehard fan of the old school I agree with most of what you've said but lookig forward to Kylie I am not.

Cheers
Bri

krish

Distinguished Member
I agree too, as a who fan not quite from day one as it was 8 years years before I was born, but certainly from Tom Bakers early days ;)

Though I do think RTD should bow out (as he most probably intends to do) after season 4 and those 3 specials; something JN-T failed to do contributing to its original demise

brian s

Distinguished Member
I agree too, as a who fan not quite from day one as it was 8 years years before I was born, but certainly from Tom Bakers early days ;)

Though I do think RTD should bow out (as he most probably intends to do) after season 4 and those 3 specials; something JN-T failed to do contributing to its original demise

I once operated the lift for JNT. Not some code as you might imagine nor am I a lift operator. Just happened to be in a lift with JNT, S McCoy and Sarah Sutton. This was much later than her Who days but she was still very nice.

JNT should have bowed out sooner than he did but even he,in his way did a good job. Given that RTD has Who, Torchwood and Sarah Jane I agree it's time he should give up.

Cheers
Bri

krish

Distinguished Member
I once operated the lift for JNT. Not some code as you might imagine nor am I a lift operator. Just happened to be in a lift with JNT, S McCoy and Sarah Sutton. This was much later than her Who days but she was still very nice.
I used to fancy Nyssa, I think it was just after she got rid of her silly Trakenian outfit and showed a bit of leg. Have also met S McCoy on a flight back from Las Vegas in 2004 ... he was travelling economy class, and a very friendly chap :smashin:

brian s

Distinguished Member
I used to fancy Nyssa, I think it was just after she got rid of her silly Trakenian outfit and showed a bit of leg. Have also met S McCoy on a flight back from Las Vegas in 2004 ... he was travelling economy class, and a very friendly chap :smashin:

Can you remember her last story and she just got rid of her outfit? No reason whatsoever as I recall.

Still, drool
Bri

NB

Yes, nice chap. All of them.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom