Doctor Who General Thread

brian s

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
I've been meaning to start a general Dr Who thread for some time now. The More Fun Promised For Dr Who and Torchwood thread became the place to put Dr Who news which didn't fit into the other Who threads. That thread is getting close to 1,000 posts so it would be closed down when it got that far.

111111111500full.jpg

It is with great sadness that I have to start this thread with the news that Liz Shaw actress Caroline John has passed away. She was Jon Pertwee's companion in his first series as the Doctor. She returned to the role for The Five Doctors and for a spin off series of direct to video stories

R.I.P. Caroline John, Doctor Who Companion | Anglophenia | BBC America

Bri

Last edited:
(not sure if you already had posted this Bri ... and I was about to stick this in the True Love thread :))

No I've not seen this one before Krish. Cheers.

So has he ever been contacted by a former lover?

With his reputation he must be falling over them all the time.:laugh:

On getting the role of the Doctor.

"Of course I lost a certain amount of right to privacy, which is not what I'd choose, but I accept.
I remember Freema (Martha Jones) Agyeman saying in an interview that Tennant continued to travel on the tube until one day when he looked up from reading his newspaper and noticed that everyone in the carriage was staring at him.

Bri

It is with great sadness that I have to start this thread with the news that Liz Shaw actress Caroline John has passed away. She was Jon Pertwee's companion in his first series as the Doctor. She returned to the role for The Five Doctors and for a spin off series of direct to video stories

R.I.P. Caroline John, Doctor Who Companion | Anglophenia | BBC America

Bri
Sad news I quite took to the charchter Liz played but probably got replaced as she was too clever and needed a companion that needed explaining things, to a sly way of explaining things to viewers.

Sad news I quite took to the charchter Liz played but probably got replaced as she was too clever and needed a companion that needed explaining things, to a sly way of explaining things to viewers.

Also Jon Pertwee wanted more of a damsel in distress style of character who he could rescue. I think she was very underrated. Pertwee's son Sean made a series called Bodyguards. Louise Lombard played his bodyguard partner Liz Shaw.

Bri

Last edited:
there is a sudden surge in viewings of this 2 year old story (probably posted back then by one of us) about a surge in popularity of bow ties
- Doctor Who prompts surge in popularity of bow ties - Telegraph

I get the Telegraph's news email, and this has cropped up as the most viewed article for the last few emails

Doctor Who logo modified - apart from the grey steely version, the DW is moved to the right.

Original

2544.jpg

New

new.jpg

Hope they paid the designer a massive bonus. It'd must have taken him weeks to come up with the new look logo! :rolleyes:

Hope they paid the designer a massive bonus. It'd must have taken him weeks to come up with the new look logo! :rolleyes:

I reckon it took no time at all to tweak the logo, and he got no bonus :D

Maybe danger money rather than a bonus. When this logo was first shown in the press some of the "fans" hated it so much there were threats against the designer(s).

111111111drwho2007_175x125.jpg

:eek:
Bri

I actually preferred it with the the DW between the words. It seemed like an unnecessary change to me. When they changed it from the 2005 one that made sense. But this? I don't see the point.

The Wand Company has teamed up with BBC Worldwide to develop a Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver Universal Remote Control. The Sonic Screwdriver remote will be a gesture-based device which will use infrared (IR) to control entertainment systems including TVs, iPod docks and DVD/Blu-ray players. With advanced gesture recognition technology, up to thirty-nine remote control codes can be stored in the Sonic Screwdriver.

Sonic Screwdriver remote control on the way | Licensing Industry | News by Licensing.biz

Bri

brian s said:
The Wand Company has teamed up with BBC Worldwide to develop a Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver Universal Remote Control. The Sonic Screwdriver remote will be a gesture-based device which will use infrared (IR) to control entertainment systems including TVs, iPod docks and DVD/Blu-ray players. With advanced gesture recognition technology, up to thirty-nine remote control codes can be stored in the Sonic Screwdriver.

Sonic Screwdriver remote control on the way | Licensing Industry | News by Licensing.biz

Bri

Oh I want one!

11111imageCA0XKEZ1.jpg

11111imageCAXHBWLQ.jpg

The universal remote control based on the Eleventh Doctor's sonic screwdriver will be available to buy in the UK from Friday 31st August, the BBC announced today.

The high-quality metal replica of the Mark VII sonic screwdriver is a gesture-based remote control that uses infra-red technology to manipulate almost all home-entertainment systems - from TVs and iPod docks to DVD/Blu-ray players and beyond.

With a green flashing tip and four modes – including a practice mode – and three memory banks, a total of 39 commands can be stored, giving users the option of operating multiple home-entertainment devices.

The sonic screwdriver universal remote control works via a series of 13 short gestures, such as rotating, flicking, or tapping, and a guided set-up procedure uses spoken prompts to match gestures to commands learnt from existing remote controls. In addition, the FX operational mode has a range of authentic vintage Doctor Who sound effects, while an in-built security setting comprising a three-digit PIN will prevent unauthorised use of the device.

An announcement will be made in due course as to which retailers will be stocking the remote control.

Sonic remote update.

UPDATE (7pm): A BBC spokeswoman told Doctor Who News that the remote control will be available in the UK from the BBC Shop, Firebox, and Forbidden Planet. DWN understands that the product will be available in the USA via the BBC America Shop and ThinkGeek from September.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom