Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness Movie Review & Comments

KiwiRob

She's no Captain America, Iron Man, Spider-Man, Captain Marvel, or Agent/Captain Carter, that's for sure, IMO.

Almost agree she’s no Captain America (not the Antony Mackie version) Iron Man or Spider-Man but she’s ahead of Captain America or Peggy Carter.

KiwiRob

I have to be honest the PQ is outstanding on the Marvel films. Looks pretty much flawless to me.

However I do get a little miffed that some content just doesn't look as good as others that are also meant to be output in 4K.

For example Obi-Wan did not look 4K. Looked more like 2K to my eyes. But then The Mandalorian does look 4K as does the rest of the Star Wars/Marvel stuff.

Amazon have the same issue as well. The Expanse looks 4K all day long as does Bosch. But then other shows like Jack Reacher and Jack Ryan don't look upto the same standard.

Maybe it's just the bandwidth on the day I don't know, but inconsistency annoys me.

I think with the massive success of Reacher the production values for season 2 are going to take a big step up.

The worst recent series has to be Wheel of Time, that was a huge disappointment on so many levels.

scrowe

Distinguished Member
I have to be honest the PQ is outstanding on the Marvel films. Looks pretty much flawless to me.

However I do get a little miffed that some content just doesn't look as good as others that are also meant to be output in 4K.

For example Obi-Wan did not look 4K. Looked more like 2K to my eyes. But then The Mandalorian does look 4K as does the rest of the Star Wars/Marvel stuff.

Amazon have the same issue as well. The Expanse looks 4K all day long as does Bosch. But then other shows like Jack Reacher and Jack Ryan don't look upto the same standard.

Maybe it's just the bandwidth on the day I don't know, but inconsistency annoys me.
I suspect it’s a combination of bandwidth/compression, plus creative choices in the cinematography, from cameras/lenses through to lighting. Even if shot on 6k digital, some creators digitally add film grain back in. In terms of the Star Wars shows, it woukd be interesting to understand the impact of filming with ‘The Volume’ where the backgrounds are pre-filmed and displayed on massive TV screens, constituting the background sets. So filming of a film onscreen may be also a reason why the finished product seems to lack the resolution/depth, from other 4K productions.

richp007

Distinguished Member
I suspect it’s a combination of bandwidth/compression, plus creative choices in the cinematography, from cameras/lenses through to lighting. Even if shot on 6k digital, some creators digitally add film grain back in. In terms of the Star Wars shows, it woukd be interesting to understand the impact of filming with ‘The Volume’ where the backgrounds are pre-filmed and displayed on massive TV screens, constituting the background sets. So filming of a film onscreen may be also a reason why the finished product seems to lack the resolution/depth, from other 4K productions.

That's a good point. It would certainly account for the difference we see.

I know everyone has different TV's and quality setups, but I would defy anyone to put the last episode of Obi-Wan on and then Dr. Strange, and not see the difference in quality immediately.

I'm a stickler for my PQ, and at least you know what you're getting when it's 1080p. But when I see 4K I do want it to be like Dr. Strange.

Roohster

Distinguished Member
I watched this last night and it was decent, if a bit over-long (as is the case so often nowadays).

It was my first encounter with the America Chavez character... seriously, "America"?
I guess Captain America's name just wasn't American enough :p

I like Doc Strange though and Wanda is a great character.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom