Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness Movie Review & Comments

Fillumgeek

Yeah, I echo that. I mean I'd probably give it a 6, for Elizabeth Olsen who is a good actress, and not un-easy on the eyes.

Poor plot, in terms of Doctor Strange, and poor use of the multiverse, which (if you go back) is quite well explained and traversed in the very first Doctor Strange movie.

MCU is going downhill imho and needs a massive shot in the arm.

SunnyIntervals

Downhill? I can't agree with that view when you consider No Way Home, Hawkeye, Moon Knight, Ms Marvel and the next Thor film just around the corner.

It was always going to be difficult to fill the space left by Cap and Tony, but I'm still enjoying their output. The MCU is drawing from decades of comic book source material, if Marvel wasn't telling compelling stories (in their comics) they'd have shut down a long time ago and we wouldn't have the MCU at all.

Slinkywizard

Distinguished Member
Eternals is the only truly bum note for me in the MCUs recent output. Everything else has ranged from average to excellent. Maybe I'm in a minority, but I really, really liked this movie. I'd put it in the top ten somewhere MCU-wise.

richp007

Distinguished Member
Yeah, I echo that. I mean I'd probably give it a 6, for Elizabeth Olsen who is a good actress, and not un-easy on the eyes.

Poor plot, in terms of Doctor Strange, and poor use of the multiverse, which (if you go back) is quite well explained and traversed in the very first Doctor Strange movie.

MCU is going downhill imho and needs a massive shot in the arm.

I don't think it's going downhill, it's just kind of stagnated for me. Gone sideways in a fashion.

They seem to have peaked TV wise early with Wandavision, the last offering Moon Knight I thought was poor. Failed to introduce a new character with any real substance. Falcon and Soldier pretty terrible, Hawkeye and Loki though very nice.

The films have been hit and miss. Shang Chi was great until the end, Eternals was just an absolute mess, and Dr. Strange good but not as good as it should have been. No Way Home was top stuff though, and I'm hoping Love and Thunder rides nicely alongside the great Ragnorak.

I think they're struggling a bit without the central focus of Iron Man and Cap, and obviously no Avengers. But it's to be expected when you achieved such a pinnacle of storytelling based around a solid structure. And then you find that structure is no more.

Fillumgeek

I don't think it's going downhill, it's just kind of stagnated for me. Gone sideways in a fashion.

They seem to have peaked TV wise early with Wandavision, the last offering Moon Knight I thought was poor. Failed to introduce a new character with any real substance. Falcon and Soldier pretty terrible, Hawkeye and Loki though very nice.

The films have been hit and miss. Shang Chi was great until the end, Eternals was just an absolute mess, and Dr. Strange good but not as good as it should have been. No Way Home was top stuff though, and I'm hoping Love and Thunder rides nicely alongside the great Ragnorak.

I think they're struggling a bit without the central focus of Iron Man and Cap, and obviously no Avengers. But it's to be expected when you achieved such a pinnacle of storytelling based around a solid structure. And then you find that structure is no more.
Yeah, a good summary. This is just how I feel however. I like Taika Waititi, his Mando episode was excellent but I just can't be bothered for the new Thor movie.

I like feel like the MCU has moved into a predictable colour band that's just a little.............boring.

lucasisking

Distinguished Member
Yeah, a good summary. This is just how I feel however. I like Taika Waititi, his Mando episode was excellent but I just can't be bothered for the new Thor movie.

I like feel like the MCU has moved into a predictable colour band that's just a little.............boring.
I think they're at full steam and so are churning out content left, right & centre. Without the Infinity Saga to build towards, they are in an experimental phase. Some of it will inevitably miss the mark for some.

I feel its been a mixed bag since Endgame. Loved No Way Home & Wandavision. Really liked Shang Chi, Hawkeye and Multiverse of Madness. Everything else, bit meh.

scrowe

Distinguished Member
I think they're at full steam and so are churning out content left, right & centre. Without the Infinity Saga to build towards, they are in an experimental phase. Some of it will inevitably miss the mark for some.

I feel its been a mixed bag since Endgame. Loved No Way Home & Wandavision. Really liked Shang Chi, Hawkeye and Multiverse of Madness. Everything else, bit meh.
I do think though we are looking at Secret Wars for this 'big saga', mainly based on the modern Hickman version, that had it as a 'galactic threat' of incursions, of parallel worlds/universes. It will take time to build something of that scale, whilst trying to introduce the new generation of heroes that will be front and center for the next 5 years.

bmwracer

Didn't see this in the theaters and I'm glad I didn't. If it wasn't for Dr. Strange and Wong, I would've really hated this movie. It was nothing more than WandaVision: The Movie. Ugh. :suicide:

I don't get why Disney has given so much time to such a minor character as Wanda/Scarlet Witch. Once I saw where this movie was going, I was rather disgusted with it all. Wanda is completely selfish and self-serving. Okay, I get she's overwhelmingly traumatized by the loss of Vision, but come on, a streamed TV series and a movie about her depression?? See a shrink goddammit. Ugh. :suicide: I really really hope this is the last of it.

Much less Wanda and much more Clea, please. I give the movie an overly generous 5/10.

Fillumgeek

They of course don't need me to buy tickets, in my mid 40s. They have some grace too because I feel like the post-pandemic Box Office, folk are grateful for almost anything. Surely, in normal times Multiverse would have made more average returns.

If they are building up to some big Secret Wars arc, they are taking a very long time over it, be interesting to see how they do in 2023, when Cinema is (touch wood) pretty normal again.

As I didn't really like Shang Chi or MoM, I feel the latest movies have been a waste of pixels. Wandavision was very good though and Loki, I really enjoyed Loki, an excellent way to turn a side character into a compelling series.

The ending of that series was so good, it feels like they have been dicking about since.

barnaby jones

Distinguished Member
They’re not ‘taking their time’. It took 3 phases to get to the Thanos throw down. He appeared for approximately 10 secs at the end of phase 1.

lucasisking

Distinguished Member
Didn't see this in the theaters and I'm glad I didn't. If it wasn't for Dr. Strange and Wong, I would've really hated this movie. It was nothing more than WandaVision: The Movie. Ugh. :suicide:

I don't get why Disney has given so much time to such a minor character as Wanda/Scarlet Witch. Once I saw where this movie was going, I was rather disgusted with it all. Wanda is completely selfish and self-serving. Okay, I get she's overwhelmingly traumatized by the loss of Vision, but come on, a streamed TV series and a movie about her depression?? See a shrink goddammit. Ugh. :suicide: I really really hope this is the last of it.

Much less Wanda and much more Clea, please. I give the movie an overly generous 5/10.

I'm kind of the opposite. Love Wanda and really wanted to see her in a film with Dr Strange. Those two are nearest equivalents in terms of their power levels, so it was ace seeing them interact, basically for the first time. I also think Wanda is much more interesting than either Danvers or Black Widow. Her story arc I think is one of the best in the MCU.

It probably also has something to do with the fact that I totally fancy her. Although I'd never cheat on my Gamora.

The film itself has issues for sure, but I still thought it was a blast.

Toasty

Distinguished Member
When did Scarlet Witch become a minor character? She is massively powerful and played a key role in the fight with Thanos. A film dedicated to her almost becoming the next big villain was a story worth telling and a good match up with Strange..

barnaby jones

Distinguished Member
Feels like they are taking their time, as it all so one dimension and rubbish.
3FCD0027-45E7-436C-A566-EDE4464B1B5E.jpeg

bmwracer

When did Scarlet Witch become a minor character? She is massively powerful and played a key role in the fight with Thanos. A film dedicated to her almost becoming the next big villain was a story worth telling and a good match up with Strange..
She's no Captain America, Iron Man, Spider-Man, Captain Marvel, or Agent/Captain Carter, that's for sure, IMO.

scrowe

Distinguished Member
Feels like they are taking their time, as it all so one dimension and rubbish.
And yet for many Thor 2 and Iron Man 2 and 3 and Cap 1 are near the bottom of everyone’s lists of the 25ish movies up to Endgame. All Phase 1/2, Avengers 2 is not well liked either.

Storvay

Distinguished Member
Just watched this and, I’d agree with a 7, perhaps a high 6.

To be honest, I thought it really grabbed my interest in the first ⅔ and I thought 7 was perhaps a little on the low side. However, that interest did wane and the score trended downwards as the film reached its climax. Much like Shang-Chi, in fact.

Had I watched this in the cinema, I would have been a bit disappointed. Absolutely agree that it would have benefitted from a release closer to Wandavision.

Anyway, great review Cas.

richp007

Distinguished Member
I actually watched this again tonight. Perhaps I enjoyed it a little more on the sofa at home with a beer, but I still can't really shift from my initial thoughts.

Basically it's too Raimi for me. I love Raimi of course, but just not for the MCU.

I may revisit it again in future, but more than likely not if I'm honest. As I said in another thread earlier however, it does look like they're shaping this phase around Dr. Strange.

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
I enjoyed this more than most of their recent output. It was at least nice to see some familiar characters again rather than new ones, I loved the cameos and as I'd managed to avoid spoilers really got a thrill out of them.

It's still far off the highs of earlier movies but was a decent turn. I haven't enjoyed any of the TV shows really and found them a chore, so much so, that I'm not bothering to tune in for any of the others unless I hear it's awesome or important to the ongoing story.

It seems a few are thinking Wanda is still alive, I'm not sure, but what she's done seems pretty irredeemable. How many did she kill across the Multiverse?

I am looking forward to Thor and Blade.

Last edited by a moderator:

mazon27091

Post Endgame if we
hadn't lost the three Avengers
or maybe only one of them. They could have turned up less often and could have helped titles like this one a bit more. Iron Man or Cap being available for Iluminati duty would have helped the
shock deaths as they would be active A-list characters dying, but not for real of course.
Now it just seems that most of the new characters aren't as iconic and if you put them together as Avengers they just wouldn't cut it.

Last edited by a moderator:
A solid 4/10. Chavez was awful. The silliness of the story (huge monsters are introduced at the beginning because "that's me being reasonable", the Evil Dead reliance on 'the book', the mass slaughter followed by "but I wouldn't hurt anyone", it was all just an excuse to throw CGI up on the screen to keep viewers distracted for 150 minutes. And for Dr. Strange's character development we have a failed romance. Yikes. I came away thinking all these actors must feel so embarrassed being in this. I certainly could never sit through it again.

rustybin

Distinguished Member
Watched this for the second and third times last night and again today.

The PQ on Disney+ for this is absolutely out of this world. Looks phenomenal.

Really enjoyed it... Possibly more the second and third times around - just so much fun, doesn't give a sh*t and thoroughly enjoyable. And Cumberbatch / Olsen are incredibly watchable.

gimpli

Watched this for the second and third times last night and again today.

The PQ on Disney+ for this is absolutely out of this world. Looks phenomenal.

Really enjoyed it... Possibly more the second and third times around - just so much fun, doesn't give a sh*t and thoroughly enjoyable. And Cumberbatch / Olsen are incredibly watchable.
I enjoyed this at the cinema, haven’t had chance to watch it on Disney yet, but reports of PQ and sound have been very good

richp007

Distinguished Member
I have to be honest the PQ is outstanding on the Marvel films. Looks pretty much flawless to me.

However I do get a little miffed that some content just doesn't look as good as others that are also meant to be output in 4K.

For example Obi-Wan did not look 4K. Looked more like 2K to my eyes. But then The Mandalorian does look 4K as does the rest of the Star Wars/Marvel stuff.

Amazon have the same issue as well. The Expanse looks 4K all day long as does Bosch. But then other shows like Jack Reacher and Jack Ryan don't look upto the same standard.

Maybe it's just the bandwidth on the day I don't know, but inconsistency annoys me.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN800B 8K TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Movies Podcast: 8th August 2022
  • By Casimir Harlow
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 8th August 2022
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Warner Bros Discovery set to combine Discovery+ and HBO Max
  • By Ian Collen