Doctor Sleep 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

Yep, totally agree with all of this..only watched the 4k theatrical cut thus far, but will be watching those extra 30 minutes of goodness on the directors cut blu ray.

Thoroughly enjoyed this, and that very active Atmos track, wowsers!

Loved this. Especially the Atmos track really adds to the atmosphere and is very dynamic with no over the top effects. Well done.

Highly recommend this film, especially as I went in with low expectations in the first instance. A strong sequel that’s respectful to both the original film and novels.

There is a touch of ‘Twilight’ here but that shouldn’t put you off. It’s a really enjoyable film.

Good review thanks one to watch out for...…. That said I am the only one that thought the shinning was an overrated/overacted pile of crap?

Caught this on iTunes last week and thought it was simply excellent. As well as a gripping new story that continues neatly from the events at The Overlook in 1980, its creators have managed to do fan service in a way that’s subtle – aimed at those of us that are not only very familiar with The Shining but a also eagle-eyed. The polar opposite of something like Terminator: Dark Fate, which although an enjoyable action sci-fi, does fan service in a way that’s as subtle as a neon zeppelin full of screaming pigs. Really, really pleasantly surprised by Doctor Sleep.

It also looks fantastic. If it’s not a native 4K presentation it certainly looks like one, and the Atmos track is one of the best I have ever heard for use of that third, overhead dimension. 9/10 from me.

Last edited:
Good review thanks one to watch out for...…. That said I am the only one that thought the shinning was an overrated/overacted pile of crap?
Yep.

I read the iTunes release has the Directors Cut in 4K - can anyone confirm before I lay down my £13.99?

I read the iTunes release has the Directors Cut in 4K - can anyone confirm before I lay down my £13.99?

Confirmed that it's there, but I can't tell you if the DC is in 4K as I'm at work and have no way to tell.

It looks like the one on Itunes is not the DC (in the UK at least) but the one on Google Play is:

Looking forward to watching this when it arrives on Monday.
As with most films I really want to see, I've avoided spoilers and only seen one teaser trailer.

Happy to read that it doesn't disappoint.

It looks like the one on Itunes is not the DC (in the UK at least) but the one on Google Play is:

Looking forward to watching this when it arrives on Monday.
As with most films I really want to see, I've avoided spoilers and only seen one teaser trailer.

Happy to read that it doesn't disappoint.
That's not the case. Here is the title page screen from the ITunes version. The listed DC version is indeed 3 hours long. The question which remains is is this version native 4K?
Screenshot 2020-03-06 at 10.12.19.png

My order from WB Shop is on the way. Looking forward to watching it again.

The Shining is up there with my all time favourite films (and books), I wanted Dr Sleep to be good (both the book and the film) but I was disappointed, especially with the film.

Loved this, and it was one of the cinematic highlights last year. I'll be picking a copy up on 4k next week. Nice to know the extras are decent too.

Well Stephen King himself famously didn't like it either, so you are not the only one. Mind you it was The Shining, he didn't like, not sure what he thought about the shinning.

I'm a big fan of the original Shining, book and film, although they are different in many ways, they are both classics, and while a sequel wasn't necessary, I could see that there was more to that world that could be explored. I read Doctor Sleep when it came out, and it was 'fine', but the movie is much better than the book. Really liked this, but I can see why it wasn't a massive hit, as it's not clear who it is aimed at. Shame the visual impact of re-visiting the Overlook Hotel was undermined a bit by the scenes in Ready Player One, but I also think it would have been weird if they hadn't used the movie version as reference. In a way it reminds me of another sequel to a Kubrick movie, 2010, which will always be seen as a pale shadow of 2001, despite being a decent movie in it's own right.

Watched it on Sky Box office as we had a code for a free movie, so not the greatest picture quality, but not bad, and it was the theatrical cut. I think I will pick up either the disc or iTunes as despite the long run time, I still felt some parts were a bit rushed, so hopefully the Director's cut improves this.

Thanks Cas.

its true what they say, never read the book before watching the film!

I was pretty disappointed with this, the book is far better. However, I'm pretty sure I would have enjoyed it much more had I not read the book.

I thought Abra was really badly cast, personally I couldn't stand her!

Great review, Cas.

I loved this. I watched the director's cut, as Flanagan said that was his prefered version. It's a shame this version wasn't in 4K.

I'll watch the theatrical at some point in 4K. Great use of Atmos in this film too.

Highly recommended.

Thanks Cas.

Got this on pre-order. I loved the book but read it a few years back so hopefully I have forgotten some of it! Even when reading the book I kept thinking 'they've got to make this into a film!'. Looking forward to it. Shame the DC isn't 4K though.

I thought Abra was really badly cast, personally I couldn't stand her!

Really? I thought she was awesome. 10/10 from me as regards the actress playing her.

Really? I thought she was awesome. 10/10 from me as regards the actress playing her.

Everyone has their own opinions I suppose, but I thought her acting was awful, at no point did she actually look like she was scared for her own life and certainly

Didn't seem bothered about her dad getting murdered!
Reading the book first was my undoing. She was a totally different character in the book.

Sounds like I should have watched the directors cut, but at the time, didn't fancy the extra half an hour run time as I was quite late putting it on.

I did enjoy the film, probably a 7/10 for me, just didn't live up to my expectations.

I only ever watched Shining for the first time after this one and I have to say I share your thoughts on the first one :) both actually...

I only ever watched Shining for the first time after this one and I have to say I share your thoughts on the first one :) both actually...

Blasphemers the pair of you. :p

Well Stephen King himself famously didn't like it either, so you are not the only one. Mind you it was The Shining, he didn't like, not sure what he thought about the shinning.

I'm a big fan of the original Shining, book and film, although they are different in many ways, they are both classics, and while a sequel wasn't necessary, I could see that there was more to that world that could be explored. I read Doctor Sleep when it came out, and it was 'fine', but the movie is much better than the book. Really liked this, but I can see why it wasn't a massive hit, as it's not clear who it is aimed at. Shame the visual impact of re-visiting the Overlook Hotel was undermined a bit by the scenes in Ready Player One, but I also think it would have been weird if they hadn't used the movie version as reference. In a way it reminds me of another sequel to a Kubrick movie, 2010, which will always be seen as a pale shadow of 2001, despite being a decent movie in it's own right.

Watched it on Sky Box office as we had a code for a free movie, so not the greatest picture quality, but not bad, and it was the theatrical cut. I think I will pick up either the disc or iTunes as despite the long run time, I still felt some parts were a bit rushed, so hopefully the Director's cut improves this.
Yeah he hated the shinning just as much!

You've saved me a tenner as I'll buy the blu ray rather than the UHD now.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom