Doctor, I've got a painful back/kidneys

DJT75

Distinguished Member
My kidneys are killing me today, I'm going to the Docs at 4.20pm & I've read up on what it could be.......but anyone else had this & what was it?

It's like the kidney aches you get after a boozy few days, but this is constant, well, aches every 10 seconds or so...

Obviously the doc will attempt to tell me what it is but on past experience they're not always right so would like to be armed with some suggestions.
 

luke_1983uk

Active Member
kidney stones, i had them 2years ago, i usually had the real pain in the morning, although i did still get pain every so often throughout the day

so thats my guess
 

Drd

Well-known Member
You'd have to be pretty unlucky to experience kidney stones on both sides at the same time!!(or at least to experience symptoms on both sides at the same time)
 

Singh400

Distinguished Member
It sounds alot like kidney stones, only because I watched Friends yesterday mornings - the one where Joey had kidney stones.

Far as I know, there are 2 methods. Shockwave treatment so that the stones break down or you can *try* passing them through.
 

James Ferrier

Novice Member
i had the same kind of pain a few months ago and went to the doctors - i could barely walk with the pain in my kidneys.

They asked me for a urine sample and tested it for protein levels - the high levels at the time indicated an infection

they did some further tests but none showed higher levels of blood cells / protein in the urine so they discounted a kidney infection and prescribed me painkillers (very strong :D) and told me to rest up for a week.

the pain went but has come back a bit recently so i think it might be a back problem and i had trapped a nerve or something previously. i wouldn't rule out the possibility of back pain - stretching exercises / bringing knees up to my chest whilst lying on my back seemed to alleviate most of the pain.

see what scenarios the doctor proposes to you but i'd keep an open mind on kidney infection or back injury.
 

DJT75

Distinguished Member
Drd said:
You'd have to be pretty unlucky to experience kidney stones on both sides at the same time!!(or at least to experience symptoms on both sides at the same time)
Good point, unlikely to have the pain both sides at the same time, good.

thanks
 

DJT75

Distinguished Member
James Ferrier said:
i had the same kind of pain a few months ago and went to the doctors - i could barely walk with the pain in my kidneys.

They asked me for a urine sample and tested it for protein levels - the high levels at the time indicated an infection

they did some further tests but none showed higher levels of blood cells / protein in the urine so they discounted a kidney infection and prescribed me painkillers (very strong :D) and told me to rest up for a week.

the pain went but has come back a bit recently so i think it might be a back problem and i had trapped a nerve or something previously. i wouldn't rule out the possibility of back pain - stretching exercises / bringing knees up to my chest whilst lying on my back seemed to alleviate most of the pain.

see what scenarios the doctor proposes to you but i'd keep an open mind on kidney infection or back injury.
Thanks, I'm probably hoping it's just an infection rather than a back injury or stones. Those are the exact exercises my grandfather suggested last night & which I ignored:rolleyes:
 

Solomon Grundy

Distinguished Member
Could just be a kidney infection...I had kidney pains which made it really difficult to sit down or stand up and it turned out to be an infection cured by antibiotics...
 

IronGiant

Moderator
Why wife has had kidney infections that were excruciating, but again only on one side, but there's no reason why you shouldn't have both infected. When you pee in the sample pot it will probably be cloudy if you have an infection.

I'd suggest peeing in a glass and having a look now but you might as well wait for your appointment now.

Good luck.

Dave
 

DJT75

Distinguished Member
Apparently it's not a kidney infection, it's not kidney stones & it's not a back injury/problem. He thinks it could just be an extreme indigestion symptom. Going back next week after a few days on some tablets...

Hope so but sounds a bit weird to me
 

rhino2k

Well-known Member
DJT75 said:
Apparently it's not a kidney infection, it's not kidney stones & it's not a back injury/problem. He thinks it could just be an extreme indigestion symptom. Going back next week after a few days on some tablets...

Hope so but sounds a bit weird to me
has he recommended eating an extremely healthy diet for the next few days also?

i would recommend you eat mainly salads and only a small amount of white meat. no bread or high sugar/junk foods.

drink water and tea only ect. also get out and about if you are a bit of a couch potato, walk beside the river ect will do you a lot of good.

i had pretty bad stomach trouble recently and as i used to be a health freak i started eating healthy again and lifting weights. ,y job is very labour intensive anyway but a bit extra never hurts...until the morning :devil:

my oh my how much better i feel, lots of little niggles i had have vanished :)
 

drskhaled

Novice Member
DJT75 said:
Apparently it's not a kidney infection, it's not kidney stones & it's not a back injury/problem. He thinks it could just be an extreme indigestion symptom. Going back next week after a few days on some tablets...

Hope so but sounds a bit weird to me
Dont mean to tread on your gp's toes but it Sounds very strange i wouldnt rush to make a diagnosis of indigestion with back pain (it can happen but common things first eh). By kidney area pain i take it you mean the sides of the back were the lower ribs are. If so it sounds like renal colic (kidney pain). I assume he tested your urine before excluding this. Anyway its a simple idea if the indigestion remedy works then thatsthe diagnosis, antacids wont relieve kidney pain. whats the name of the pills he gave you out of interest?
 

MikeTV

Well-known Member
I had similar symptoms in the morning last week (but only on my right side). I found ibuprofen very effective. I visited the doctor, but I haven't had the results from the urine test yet. But I had an urinary infection anyway, and it probably progressed to a kidney infection. I have been taking antibiotics, and the pain has not returned. The doctor still wants me to get an xray and scan, to rule out kidney stones. Probably worth drinking lots of water, and maybe get a second opinion -kidney infections can cause real damage.
 

Matt Horne

Well-known Member
Hope its not kidney stones.. I have had 4 in the last couple of years... really not recommended :(
 

stealther

Novice Member
I reckon they used me to write the book on kidneys

Let me see my left one is deformed and dont do squat my right one alternates between Kidney infections uncomfortable and infectious (cough cough) and Kidney stones excruciatingly painfull! When its kidney stones there are several things that can form them including Calcium build ups.

My advice drink lots of water, cut down on your caffeine and your red meat to give your kidneys an easy ride.
 

DJT75

Distinguished Member
drskhaled said:
Dont mean to tread on your gp's toes but it Sounds very strange i wouldnt rush to make a diagnosis of indigestion with back pain (it can happen but common things first eh). By kidney area pain i take it you mean the sides of the back were the lower ribs are. If so it sounds like renal colic (kidney pain). I assume he tested your urine before excluding this. Anyway its a simple idea if the indigestion remedy works then thatsthe diagnosis, antacids wont relieve kidney pain. whats the name of the pills he gave you out of interest?
Sorry, had a busy few days (drinking & eating unhealthily:eek: )

Haven't got the name of the pills with me, begins with "Ret......." I think. I'll find out. The pain started to come around the front too & he did a urine test there & then which he said was conclusive enough to rule out any kidney problem. Anyway - these tablets were fantastic, I had the 1st one Friday evening, all pain had gone Saturday morning before I had the chance to take the 2nd one. I'll continue to take them today & then stop to see what happens. I have 2 weeks worth but he said to take them for about 4 days.
 

drskhaled

Novice Member
Looks like your gp was spot on. likely he gave you some ranitidine which is a good tablet for supressing acid in the stomach. so if its worked the diagnosis can only be acid indigestion. cut down on alcohol, smoking and oily foods and you should be fine.
 

DJT75

Distinguished Member
I've always suffered from acid, mostly from booze - i don't smoke or particularly eat oily foods. I'm glad to have discovered these tablets after years of using inaffective over the counter remedies. GP did say a half strength version of these is now available over the counter..:thumbsup:

But I do need to cut down a bit :eek:
 

Similar threads

Trending threads

Top Bottom