Doctor appointment during work

Pizzalover1

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Anyone else have this problem at work.Apparently I'm only allowed 3 appointment per quarter or I will lose my quarterly bonus?I've had 2 appointments this week where it's not possible to have after work

'Apparently' or according to your contract and conditions of employment?

I'm not sure they always change everything. It might be in my staff handbook

As above it all depends on the individual company there are no hard and fast rules. The odd one my company will allow without penalty, other then that its either holiday time or unpaid, neither would effect my bonus. What I would say is keep your line manager/HR informed at every step, become illusive and they are less likely to authorise but if they know it serious then they can also give extenuating circumstances.

We have had guys in the past who would have an appointments between 10.00am and 13.00pm knowing fine well the boss couldn't send them anywhere so essentially they were having a free day. They were soon found out.

Last edited:
I am allowed as many appointments as is deemed necessary as it will not affect any bonus as it's not worked on that, i can if needed shift my lunch break as required.

I've got to go back Thursday for blood test so that's 2 appointment this quarter. Got issues with my prostate

Can take as much time off for doctors appointments, car\house repairs, deliveries and so on without taking the pee. It's all a give and take :)

I've got to go back Thursday for blood test so that's 2 appointment this quarter. Got issues with my prostate

Then I would take that to your Line Manager/HR and make sure they understand it could be fairly serious. Other then that m8 put your health before your bonus and if you have to give it up then so be it.

Anyone else have this problem at work.Apparently I'm only allowed 3 appointment per quarter or I will lose my quarterly bonus?I've had 2 appointments this week where it's not possible to have after work

Just take the whole day sick. Get to see the doctor, have a half day to yourself and you don't lose your bonus. Job done.

Half a day for a Doctors appointment?
Waiting times getting longer and longer?

Half a day for a Doctors appointment?
Waiting times getting longer and longer?

Sometimes people's doctors aren't outside the door to their office. I would have to do a 32 mile round trip plus time to find a parking space. My offshore medical was a 320 mile round trip. Try fit that into your dinner hour.

Last edited:
At most Doctors you would be lucky to even get 3 appointments a quarter, I would book it as a holiday if the bonus meant that much

I'll use holidays for the rest if needed. Bonus Its rubbish £150 per quarter lol

Last edited:
It's just give and take at my place. I can go to an appointment if it's needed. As such I try to book them first thing in the morning or as late as possible. My doctors has appointments as late as 545pm

Just take the whole day sick. Get to see the doctor, have a half day to yourself and you don't lose your bonus. Job done.
If your company isnt good at give and take I would do what steakandcake says. A lot of time you get no better thought of being a good worker and your health is more important. My dad last year had to give me a talking to and his words were "work will be there when you are not"
Hope everything works out OK.

Not allowing employees to take time off for medical appointments could, in some circumstances be disability discrimination. Every employer I've ever worked for has allowed paid time off to attend as many appointments deemed necessary as long as they were genuine.

Chin up lad :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom