Docking station advice

Rickster32

Novice Member
Hi,
New to the forum, I currently have a Dell Inspiron 15 5000 15.6" Intel® Core™ i5 laptop, I have had it for about 3 years, it's a non usb-c device. I want to hook it up to at least 2 monitors plus keyboard mouse etc, and know I will need a docking station, I am after some advice as to what to go for, would like to spend no more than £50 ideally, but realise I may have to go above this a bit, and product suggestions world be appreciated, thanks.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Which model of laptop is it? The 5000-series has had quite a few models. Is it the 5567?

You don't need a dock to connect more peripherals, the purpose of a dock is to make it easy to frequently connect and disconnect them because there are fewer plugs.

Generally your laptop won't be able to use the video outputs on the majority of docks with a Type C connector, unless they explicitly say that either work with a Type A port or don't require DP Alt Mode support.

Rickster32

Novice Member
Which model of laptop is it? The 5000-series has had quite a few models. Is it the 5567?

You don't need a dock to connect more peripherals, the purpose of a dock is to make it easy to frequently connect and disconnect them because there are fewer plugs.

Generally your laptop won't be able to use the video outputs on the majority of docks with a Type C connector, unless they explicitly say that either work with a Type A port or don't require DP Alt Mode support.
I will check the exact model,

Thanks for the reply, the model is 5570, I have been looking at this

Targus Universal Docking Station With Laptop Power, USB-A 3.0, SV 2K, Dual Video 1K Video, Black (DOCK171EUZ)​

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Targus-DOCK171EUZ-Universal-Docking-Station/dp/B07423KK44#

1. Targus Universal Docking Station With Laptop Power, USB-A 3.0, SV 2K, Dual Video 1K Video, Black (DOCK171EUZ)

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
That should work, provided the monitors you're looking at have those connections and are 1920x1200 or less.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom