Dock with Airplay, DAB, and Alarm Clock!

garylythgoe

Am I asking too much? Does such a thing exist?

I'd love a 'system' for my room which would allow to ping tunes to it over airplay, then at night dock it (charge it), and just have a decent alarm clock which uses radio/iphone songs to wake up etc?

Am I asking too much?

I think I'm going to plump for the Pioneer X-SMC3 but it doesnt really do the DAB function, and whilst having a 'clock' on it, i'm not sure it really offers alarm clock functionality?

Help?! Any suggestions, or am i wanting the world?

garylythgoe

Ok I just got one from John Lewis at lunch. Priced matched to £189 (Richer Sounds) in store. Can't wait to get home and try it :D

garylythgoe

Hi bpsmith, here is some comments I posted in another thread:

So far, I love it, especially at its price point. Few little drawbacks but nothing worth shouting about.

The SQ and volume, are excellent, works very well in my bedroom.

If you have an iOS device (ipod touch,iphone, ipad etc) then its criminal not to use the airplay function! Connect unit up to the wireless, enter password on remote etc. Then when using your iOS device in its proximity, you get the airplay icon up next to your volume bar, press it and select the device (can even rename the unit to Gaz Bedroom, Gaz Kitchen etc), few seconds later the music is playing out wirelessly all controlled via the iOS device. Negative point to airplay, is you need good wifi for it.

The difference between the 3 and 5, is that the 5 has a CD/DVD player built into it. I have no need for that in my bedroom, so the 3 served perfectly and its £189 vs £349!

Oh and airplay works via PC/Mac too, from iTunes.

HTH!

windfall

I've now got one of these Pioneer units and it's excellent, the choice of getting media from:-
iPhone docked
Aux in
My western Digital NAS (runs twonky)
Internet radio
FM radio
USB flash drive
AirPlay

It's just amazing!

Sound output is very good at medium levels too...

Great for the bedroom which is where I use it...

Tone

mountfa

Novice Member
Bringing this thread back to life again as I have been searching for a system with the same requirements as the original poster.
I would like a system for the bedroom that has DAB, Airplay and ideally a dual alarm too.
I have done lots of searching on this both online and in various stores and there doesnt seem to be anything out there that hits these criteria, everything seems to have either Airplay+FM or DAB but no Airplay.
There are a few mini-hifi systems out there such as the Marantz Melody Media that have both DAB+Airplay but i want an all in one system as opposed to something hifi as its only for use in the bedroom.

I love the look of the JBL On-Air Wireless (On Air Wireless - JBL) that hits all the criteria apart from DAB ... i have emailed JBL to ask if they have plans to release a model with DAB but no response as yet.

I did come up with the following during a google search tonight though that sounds quite promising .... apparently its a new system by Panasonic that will have DAB+Airplay but i cant find anything official about it on the Panasonic website just this link from a 3rd Party that says its going to be released in May ...

PANASONIC SCHC57DBEBK - Micro HiFi 40W CD/FM/DAB/Internet Airplay iPod-dock | Power Direct Online Electrical Superstore

What do you guys think?, it looks very similar to the Pioneer unit you have been discussing but with the mystical DAB and Airplay .... if its genuine then it looks promising (although no details on an alarm but it must surely have a least a single alarm even if not a dual)

Has anyone else managed to find anything similar in these past few months or have you all given up? ;)

john316

The all conquering dock just doesn't seem to exist - I want a nice iPhone dock with dual alarms, DAB, airplay, good sound quality and a little OLED display to eliminate brightness issues at night hopefully. There just doesn't seem to be anything out there that ticks all the boxes!!

zed4

Bringing this thread back to life again as I have been searching for a system with the same requirements as the original poster.
I would like a system for the bedroom that has DAB, Airplay and ideally a dual alarm too.
I have done lots of searching on this both online and in various stores and there doesnt seem to be anything out there that hits these criteria, everything seems to have either Airplay+FM or DAB but no Airplay.
There are a few mini-hifi systems out there such as the Marantz Melody Media that have both DAB+Airplay but i want an all in one system as opposed to something hifi as its only for use in the bedroom.

I love the look of the JBL On-Air Wireless (On Air Wireless - JBL) that hits all the criteria apart from DAB ... i have emailed JBL to ask if they have plans to release a model with DAB but no response as yet.

I did come up with the following during a google search tonight though that sounds quite promising .... apparently its a new system by Panasonic that will have DAB+Airplay but i cant find anything official about it on the Panasonic website just this link from a 3rd Party that says its going to be released in May ...

PANASONIC SCHC57DBEBK - Micro HiFi 40W CD/FM/DAB/Internet Airplay iPod-dock | Power Direct Online Electrical Superstore

What do you guys think?, it looks very similar to the Pioneer unit you have been discussing but with the mystical DAB and Airplay .... if its genuine then it looks promising (although no details on an alarm but it must surely have a least a single alarm even if not a dual)

Has anyone else managed to find anything similar in these past few months or have you all given up? ;)

Hi,

I came across this thread as I'm looking for the same thing.

I have an Apple Airport Express in the kitchen connected to a micro hifi, but for the bedroom I wanted an all in one solution as we're short on space and I didn't want to clutter the place up with wires.

The Panasonic SC-HC57DB looks like it's the only product on the market that does Airplay, dock, DAB and alarm. Strange, as I would have thought such a device would be pretty sought after! It looks like a nice little package too, which is just what I'm after.

It's only £199 here too, which seems a very good price: http://www.rgbdirect.co.uk/ProductDetails.asp?SKUNumber=113855&Model=Panasonic-SCHC57DBEBK

So my question is, have I missed anything obvious, or is this really the only option! :smashin:

mountfa

Novice Member
The only warning I would give about the Panasonic unit is that the iphone/ipod fits into the dock on that unit very snugly.
Now if rumours of a new apple dock connector on the new iphone are to be believed then you may find your iphone wont fit in there if you need to use an adapter.
Not a problem i guess if you arent planning on docking it but something to consider prior to purchase.

zed4

The only warning I would give about the Panasonic unit is that the iphone/ipod fits into the dock on that unit very snugly.
Now if rumours of a new apple dock connector on the new iphone are to be believed then you may find your iphone wont fit in there if you need to use an adapter.
Not a problem i guess if you arent planning on docking it but something to consider prior to purchase.

Ok, thanks. :thumbsup:

zed4

Could always use something like this I guess... DOCK SYNC AUDIO VIDEO EXTENSION CABLE FOR IPAD 1 2 IPHONE 3G 3GS 4 4S IPOD TOUCH | eBay

To be honest, I probably wouldn't dock the phone anyway, I'd just use Airplay.

zed4

Also, if by chance, anyone has one of the Panasonic units, I'd be interested to know if you can rename the device from within the Apple Network Utility, as I'd like to buy a couple of them. I'd like the change the name to "Kitchen" and "Bedroom" for example. This is how I've currently got the Apple Airport Express set up.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom