Dock advice

stitch123

Hi all,

I have a work laptop which is a Dell latitude 7390. Currently I have the laptop set up next to my external monitor. It is connected by USB C. When video conferencing I use my C920 webcam on top of my external monitor. For audio I have been using a USB plantronics headset, however it is very uncomfortable so I am trying to move away from that. I like using my apple EarPods (the ones with a jack, not lightening). For some reason, even though the Dell has a joint mic/headphone jack) it doesn’t detect the mic on the earphones but audio does come out. Searching around the internet this appears to a problem with this laptop and Realtek drivers which need re-installing. Unfortunately, work IT Support (NHS) are not willing to do this for me.

Can anyone recommend a USB C dock where I can connect the laptop too, also have power pass through to charge the laptop, connect to my monitor, which also has a mic/headphone jack so I can use my earphones? I like having just a USBC cable from the dock that I can plug my laptops in (I have 3 I use).

Alternatively is there some form of USB to jack (mic and headphones in one) dongle? I’ve had a look but couldn’t find anything.

Thanks for any advice.

Stitch.

Last edited:

next010

Distinguished Member
Dell sell USB-C docks with power delivery 180w model and 130w model.

However they do not feature any audio inputs, Dell did have this 180w model with an audio output and a headphone input jack that may double as mic but you could have the same problem as before.

You could try getting a mic splitter cable (I think this is correct) which will split the single 3.5mm audio jack into two, then get a USB audio adapter like this and connect via that to the PC.

The mic splitter is cheap and worth trying before getting any dock.

stitch123

Dell sell USB-C docks with power delivery 180w model and 130w model.

However they do not feature any audio inputs, Dell did have this 180w model with an audio output and a headphone input jack that may double as mic but you could have the same problem as before.

You could try getting a mic splitter cable (I think this is correct) which will split the single 3.5mm audio jack into two, then get a USB audio adapter like this and connect via that to the PC.

The mic splitter is cheap and worth trying before getting any dock.
Thanks, that looks like it might work. I had seen the USB audio adapters, but not the cable that splits the signal, I didn’t even know those existed. Thanks for the help.

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom