Do your cooling fans stay on all the time?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Remboy, Aug 15, 2006.

1. Remboy

Remboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just installed a Sky HD box and am having problems with noisy fans as I know many others have, it's noisier than my version 2 Pace Sky+ and the fans are permanently running when not in standby.

Rang my dealer who sold me the box and he says the fans should be thermastatically controlled like the Sky+ box. On my HD box the fans fire up as soon as I switch on and stay on until I put it back into standby. My box is running cool all the time so should the fans run all the time or be thermastically controlled? What does your box do? Thanks very much.

2. Mike Groves

Mike Groves

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    The fans on my box run continuously when switched on. They go off just shortly after the HD has parked when put into standby. I believe this is the normal scheme of things.

3. rbentley

rbentley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. Remboy

Remboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies guys. Since some people say their fans stay on and others claim not I thought I'd ring Sky. Now I know that's often a waste of a long phone call but in this case I got a really helpful guy who clearly knew his stuff. He claims that the fans should NOT stay on all the time. This clearly conflicts with what a lot of people on here are saying. Has anyone actually managed to get a definitive answer on this, maybe from Thomson?

5. Goonerdude

Goonerdude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +222
    Just had my 2 month old HD boxed replaced and the new one is
    a lot nosier :thumbsdow

6. Remboy

Remboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did you replace the first one because it was noisy or another fault?

I'm really pleased with the picture performance of Sky HD but if this is the way the box is going to be noise-wise I just know it will get on my nerves eventually. Think I may have to swap it. Since I bought from local retailer maybe I can try another one in the shop before swapping.

Would still like definitive answer on those fans. If they DO stay on all the time, it would impossible to get a really quiet box.

7. Goonerdude

Goonerdude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +222
    First HD box nice and quiet, but started to get stuck in stand by mode and would not wake up,

New box Ok so far but it is noisy, just have to get used to it !

I think it is pot luck if you do get a quiet box, if you do get one
    it may not last long anyway !

8. pnangna

pnangna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    When i got my HD installed a while back the fans stayed on all the time then i did a forced software update (which should have been done by installer) and after that the fans now go off when in standby

9. Remboy

Remboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    pnangna - do they stay on all the time when your box is not in standby? Thanks.

10. drumz

drumz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    my sky box is driving me and the wife bonkers with the noise it makes due to the noisy fan which does stay on all the time the forced software update made no difference whatsoever
    i emailed thomson about the issue but they have not replied it is the fan underneath the hdd that causes the noise (on mybox anyway)
    i think ill get them to change the box

11. Remboy

Remboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes I'm sure it's the fan underneath the hard drive which is the culprit. Even in standby (with the fans off) the underside of the box stays warm to the touch so there appears to be a cooling issue with my box.

I have e-mailed SKy but no reply yet, if they reply I will post here - drumz, if you get ba reply from Thomson could you do the same? Thanks.

12. Mike Groves

Mike Groves

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Mine is quite cool while on, but in standby, with the fans off, it gets very warm on the top left hand side.