Do You Workout And Could You Do With Motivation II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dextur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Please look below this ever growing FAQ for the purpose of this thread, the FAQ below is to cut down on similar questions in this thread.

NOTE: This is a continuation of this thread here: http://www.avforums.com/forums/general-chat/1442221-do-you-workout-could-you-do-motivation.html

================ FAQ ========================

Getting a few questions PM' etc, going to try and cover them all here.

Q: Can you give me the quick and simple version of a fat loss diet?

A: Depending on where people are coming from and what they tell me about current weight, BF%, previous exercise routines, health status, activity levels etc it differs but here's a real basic "for dummies" to work from , with ONE CAVEAT, this presume you are exercising with weights 3 a week plus doing some additional exercise on other days 2-3 days a week.

Get 1g of protein per lb of bodyweight in, this can come from whatever protein sources work for you, shakes, whole food etc.

Get about the same in carbs, give or take, this is the one variable that's hard to determine because it depends SO much on activity levels and workout volume etc. Some people need to go lower, some right down to more like .5 or so, it entirely depends on sensitivity to carbs but you can start at say 1g per per pound, do NOT exceed it, start there and move carbs down the scale if you have to.

Get about .4 grams per lb of bodyweight in fats.

Aim for about 12 calories per lb of bodyweight give or take for the first few weeks, keep a very careful eye on the scales but more importantly your body fat % and adjust, some people may need to go much higher and 12 calories per lb is to low, some sadly have to go even lower than 12 calories per lb.

Calories work like this.

1 g protein = 4 calories
1 g carbs = 4 calories
1 g fat = 9 calories.

Diet should be at about 35% Protein, 35% Carbs, and 30% Fat. This % split is also known as your Macro Nutrient split.

IMPORTANT NOTE< your macronutrient split is based on CALORIES, not grams. So 35% protein calories, 35% carb calories and 30% Fat calories.

Protein can go a little higher, carbs a little lower if the diet works out that way that day but essentially that's the baseline, fat should never go higher than 30%.

So ...Mythical man @ 200lbs.

* 12 calories per pound of bodyweight = 2400 calories per day for fat loss.

1g Proten per lb of bodyweight = 200grams
1g carbs per lb of bodyweight = 200 grams

30% of calories from fat 2400 calories /100 x 30 = 720 calories

9 calories per gram of fat = 720/9 = 80 grams of fat.

So..

200 g Protein @ 4 calories per gram = 800
200g Carbs @ 4 calories per gram = 800
80 grams of fat @ 9 calories per gram = 720

Total calories 2,320 near as damm your *12 with a small built in margin for the extra "butter" :)

Q: What do you recommend for workouts for fat loss?
A: For most, especially beginners whole body workouts are by far the most metabolically taxing, they burn calories like crazy and create a good core for most people new to weight training, they also by definition of the low volume of sets per bodypart work nicely within a calorie deficit where extended volume can be anti catabolic and even cortisol inducing running counter to what you're trying to achieve.

Here's a good whole body routine with details

Put aside 30 minutes 3x a week.
Mon/Wed/Fri
Tues/Thurs/Sat

Or similar.

Do 3 whole body workouts.

Just 2 sets per bodypart for the first month.

2 Sets , Dumbell Bench Press.
2 sets barbell rows (or dumbell rows)
2 sets shoulder press.
2 sets squats
2 sets calf raises (holding dumbell in your hand)

Thats IT.

If you're cardio isn't leg heavy more Squats to first in the routine, if not keep as is.

Take 4 seconds to lower the weight on each exercise.
Explode upwards on each exercise .
1 second pause at contraction point on each exercise.

This has what we call a cadence of

4-1-1

4 seconds to lower under tension
1 second pause at full tension
Immediate up again.

Do 10 reps for each set.

That will give you what is called a TUT (time under tension) of around 50 seconds per set which is perfect for fat loss and muscle growth.

Take a 60 second breather in between each set and 2 minutes in between the squats.

Keep a proper record of how much weight you lifted each time and how many reps you managed.

When you can reach 15 reps with the same weight increase the weight until 10 reps is as many as you can mange.

Do this 3 x per week, the workout if followed as above will be done and dusted in way under 30 minutes.

Within 2-3 weeks, you'll feel much better and you'll see some shape.

Q: How long should you stick to a whole body workout?
A: Depends on how long you've been training for generally but 3 months is a good guide, 3 months of busting your ass in the gym 3x a week on a whole body workout will deliver amazing results in the untrained.

If you've already trained a lot with weights but had a lay off and are coming back I recommend 1 month of whole body workouts, it primes you're body perfectly for a split.

Q: Do you think whoel body workouts are better if on a mass gaining diet?
A: Depends again if your new to weight training but looking to gain mass and fat loss isn't the primary issue, then 2-3 weeks of whole body , low volume workouts to prime your body is ideal, but past that a split routine is superior for gaining mass when fat loss isn't the primary aim.

Q: Do you have a split routine ?
A: All the ones below work fine on splits, depending on the days you have available.
NOTE I do NOT recommend people who are focussing on fat loss follow a split without about 3months of whole body workouts behind them, this depends on your existing workout experience.

The 3 day Split, antagonistic option
Day 1: Chest, back
Day 2: Shoulders, Biceps, Triceps
Day 3: Quads, Hams

The 3 day Split, push-pull option
Day 1: Chest, shoulders, triceps
Day 2: quads, hams, calves
Day 3: Back, biceps, forearms

The 4 day Split
Day 1: Chest, biceps, abs
Day 2: Quads, hams, calves
Day 3: Shoulders, Triceps, abs
Day 4: Back, calves

The 5 day Split
Day 1: Chest
Day 2: Legs
Day 3: Shoulders
Day 4: Back
Day 5: Arms

Q. Do you need 1g of protein per lb to gain muscle ?
A: Strictly speaking, probably not for the average trainee, however the protein guide achieves much more than purely lean mass retention/growth. This thread covers many of those issues.

Q: 12 calories per pound for me at 200lbs is 2400 calories, isn't that to much to lose fat on ?
A: It entirely depends on you, your activity levels and various other factors, its' an industry standard guideline but you need to keep track of your body fat % and weight and adjust accordingly.

Q: 12 calories per pound for me at 200lbs is 2400 calories, isn't that to LITTLE to lose fat on ?
A: Again depends, it may well be, some people can lose fat os much as 15x bodyweight, you have to find a baseline and work from it individually, nobody can give you the perfect number, but 12 calories per lb is a solid guide if you're eating reasonably healthy and working out 3-4 per week weight weights plus some cardio.

Q: Are the diet details basically the same for muscle growth, I'm quite skinny, don't need to lose weight.
A: Pretty much although getting 1g protein per pound isn't so vital when you have an abundunce of calories and carbs to draw from, protein is probably a little over what's needed but acts as a good safe guard so. 1 g protein per lb of bodyweight, about .5g of fat per lb and fill up on carbs to hit your total calorie requirements.

Q: How many calories for weight gain ?
A: Hugely depends on general activity levels and current BF% but if you started at about 15 calories per lb and worked your way up from there to 25 calories per lb based on how much you gained each week you would be doing fine. Generally speaking newbies can gain significant muscle in the first 6 months, 25lbs+ is not unusual.

Q: I was losing fat fine on 12 calories per lb the first few weeks but now it's stalled a bit, should I cut more calories ?
A: NO, in fact the opposite, go and increase calories by 25% for 3-4 days, then weigh yourself 3 days after the end of that calorie burst, you'll find you've probably dropped a few more pounds and you'll be good to go back down to the 12 calories per lb again for another 2-3 weeks.

Q: What do you think of calorie cycling?
A: I agree with it and it works well but I don't prescribe it much here because of the complexcity of getting it right and over confusing people.

Q: If you had to give a "for dummies" version how would calorie cycling work.
A: The simplest way is to add/remove carbs, so for example, here's a diet of a natural bodybuilder friend of mine when he's cutting.

1.25g protein per lb of bodyweight.
.7 g carbs per lb of bodyweight.
.4 g fat per lb of bodyweight.

This works out for him at at 12calories per lb of bodyweight.

He eats like that mon, tues, thurs, fri, sat.

The on Sunday and Wednesday he doubles his carbs to 1.5g per lb

That allows him to sustain a pretty tough cutting diet but resets his maintenance levels and stops any plateus with the extra carbs/calories, it revolves around a whole complex issue of leptin refeeds , which is way beyond the scope of this thread but if folks want to calorie cycle "for dummies" this is the easiest way, 2 small carb increases each week.

That diet above by the way is responsible for a guys physique who looks so insanely awesome 100% naturally it's scary.

Q: I used the Harris Benedict formula and it says I need 100000 bazillion calories just to maintain.
A: I don't put any stock in online or old fashioned calcs, the margin for error is insane, the only accurate measure is you keeping a record of your weight up and down.

Q: Why are you so anti-traditional cardio ?
A: Cos it's **** , oh yeah it's **** and boring.

Q: Yeah but got anything more intelligent to say on the matter?
A: Ok , look I am not anti cardio, I do it myself but sitting on a stationary bike watching MTV isn't organic, it's not what I believe the body was intended to be used for. There are far more natural interesting and effective ways to burn fat and be in peak condition than mimicking a demented hamster.

Resistance training done right, "whole body workouts" will make you fitter, leaner and more functionally strong than any cardio based activity you can find, not to mention it also builds muscle and increases IGF and testosterone naturally in the body whereas cardio often does the opposite.

Check out any athlethes who are big on cardio, long distance runners yada yada, then check out sprinters or gymnasts etc and look at their development in their primary respective muscles, they both look lean but who has the physique ?

Lastly traditional cardio burns very few calories for the huge amount of time required to do it, you can burn in a 45 minute wholebody workout done right, twice to 3x the calories burnt on a bike and you'll also have a tight waist, broad shoulders, muscular legs , strong back and great biceps and triceps for your effort, none of which you'll get on a stairmaster.

Q: Does it matter what type of foods I eat as long as I hit my calories?
A: This is a big debate in nutrition circles of late, recent data has shown that in reality the difference in body composition between eating 2000 calories of entirely whole fresh,"clean" foods and 2000 calories of protein shake and biscuits to meet the same macro nutrient and calories has little effect on body composition or fat loss in general.

BUT, this doesn't make it ok or ideal, in the short term you may lose roughly the same amount of weight but you'll feel like crap, your body will become less efficienient at processing foods, your health will be in shatters due to the lack of vegetables, fibre, minerals and vitamins and you'll assimilate a lot less of the nutrients, your skin will go to **** and so on. So honestly, no, it probably makes little difference in the short term but this game is about more than how your abs look. I strongly subscribe to the 80/20 view, which is 80% foods we tend to classify as clean, chicken, tuna, beef, salmon, eggs, vegetables, fruits, yada yada, and 20% based on stuff you just like to eat which works for you, if you need that bowl of icecream to keep you sane, then eat it BUT make sure you have left enough calories in your diet to accomodate it.

Q:What supplements do you recommend for fat loss?
A: None, no supplements burn fat effectively, exercise and diet control whether you see your abs. The only one I can recommend connected to fat loss is a pre workout stimulant, they give you more energy, you work harder, you burn more calories/lift more weight, you get in better shape , that's about it for fat loss, even healthy fats don't burn the fat the media want you to believe they do.

Q: What about supplements generally ?
A: I think a decent protein powder is useful to get your protein intake up, a fish oil for various health reasons, a decent sports based multi-vit, perhaps some beta alanine and creatine for the bodybuilding guys, and at a push some aminos for the very hard training guys at the gym, that's about it.

Q: What would you say is the most important key to success, diet or training>?
A: Neither, the most important is keeping a log of what you do so you can manipulate your diet and training accordingly, that and consistency, going hell for leather for 2 weeks is nothing like as useful as consistently going for it at a decent pace for a month.

THIS POST IS NOW FULL, FAQ CONTINUED IN POST 8 BELOW or link here.

Feel free to hit the thanks button if this helped.

==================ORIGINAL FIRST POST BELOW ===================
There's been a recent splurge of interest in diet, workouts and so forth here and based on a number of PM's I have had, It seems there's quite a lot of confusion and a lot of people failing due to lack of motivation and consistency.

In my experience the best way to ensure you stick to a diet / workout is to be held accountable (1) and get praise and encouragement (2).

Would there be any interest in us starting a thread / section here where people who want to be motivated by others posted all their current stats, details and a target they want to achieve and the time scale and updated their progress each week or so?

That way when you're thinking of quitting you know you have a bunch of people following your progress and pushing you on and it's harder to just not bother.

Anybody interested in putting themselves on the line , if so I'll participate with photos etc and start the ball rolling but I want 10 people to put their hands up and agree to do the same.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK Hijacking this post for a contined FAQ as the top post is "FULL" and it won't let me add any more.

Q: Why are you so focussed on Body fat % ?
Because your total aim should be to lose FAT not weight.
If you train hard with weights, which you should be doing to lose fat, you'll gain lean muscle, so you step on the scale and may not have lost that much weioght but your body will look entirely different. People who drop a lot of weight quickly also lose muscle mass, bone tissue and water, none of which is desirable.

The most important stat you can find out is your body fat %, this will allow you to accurately see how much fat your losing, this is the only important factor.

Q :Do you think 5-6 meals is more important than 3 squares?
Not really, ultimately do what works for you, if you want to eat all your calories in 3 meals a day, feel free, if more smaller meals works for you , go for it, ultimately it won't make 1 iota of difference to your body composition, meals per day can't alter the basic lay of thermodynamics which is cals in / cals burnt.

Q: Do you think KETO, VLCD diets work ?
A: Any diet which reduces calories past your maintenance calorie level work, but why the heck would you want to be on a diet that cuts out carbs, carbs taste great, the trick is to control carbs in your macros so they are sane and balanced with protein and fat consumption, not to cut them out so you breath stinks from protein and fats, you have no energy and half the weight you lose is water from the lack of carbs. Screw that, I like my carbs to much.

Q: Won't protein damage my kidneys etc?
A: 1972 called, they want their studies back.. There's no data showing protein consumption in healthy individuals has any deterimental effect at all but a ton of studies showing very lean, healthy fit athletes eating protein at the same or much higher than prescribed here.

Q:I'm fat, shouldn't I do my cardio first, lose the fat, then train with weights?
A: 1972 called again... NO, no and no. If you're fat, the very best thing you can do is build muscle mass, muscle burns calories for energy even resting, the more muscle you have, the more calories you burn doing nothing. Also resistance workouts burn more calories during and even post (EPOC) than cardio does, they also release IGF and Testosterone hormones both of which help with body composition. They also create that "cover model" look from the magasines, no model on mens health got there doing cardio, they got there from weight training. If anything I woudl say fat people should ditch all cardio to start with so they have enough energy to do the weight training and control your body weight with your diet. Then add cardio later if you're addicted to going around on the gyms hamster wheel.

Ouch, sounds killer, calorie burn ahoy!

Bloody hell Kav!

Tell me about it, I looked like I had been hosed down after it, was dripping sweat from head to toe. The guy said it's an extremely intense full-body workout, and there's not a muscle in our body that shouldn't be aching tonight...I think he'll be proven right.

Simon, you should probably start a new thread as this one will get locked after it goes over 1k posts. Thanks again to you for starting this, it has been a real benefit to me. :thumbsup:

Tell me about it, I looked like I had been hosed down after it, was dripping sweat from head to toe. The guy said it's an extremely intense full-body workout, and there's not a muscle in our body that shouldn't be aching tonight...I think he'll be proven right.

Simon, you should probably start a new thread as this one will get locked after it goes over 1k posts. Thanks again to you for starting this, it has been a real benefit to me. :thumbsup:

No wonder mate, I'm knackered after a twenty minute squat circuit never mind that lot!

And to echo your second paragraph, cheers from me too Simon. This has been brilliant for my motivation and my diet has changed beyond recognition since the thread kicked off. Nice work!

I was thinking about this, I wonder if Stuart might be kind enough to set us up a little sub form in general "Fitness & Health" or something, that way everybody could keep their own log as a unique thread.

I'll see if perhaps this is a possibility, pretty clear this topic has generated significant interest.

I'll start a new thread to start with, I can copy the first post over too:)

No wonder mate, I'm knackered after a twenty minute squat circuit never mind that lot!

And to echo your second paragraph, cheers from me too Simon. This has been brilliant for my motivation and my diet has changed beyond recognition since the thread kicked off. Nice work!

You're welcome, perhaps we can create the fittest AV fans in the world :)

YOu can set us UP our own subforum in GC?

That would be awesome, or do you mean, start a new thread?

Sorry, just a new thread, my powers are weak...

Let me ask "the man" see what he says unless you think it would be better coming from you IG?

Did an absolutely lethal circuit routine at lunchtime, it's simply called "the thousand". Eleven sets of exercises - 9 of which you do 50 reps, 2 of which you do 25 reps, which give you 500 reps. Then when you've done it once...you do it all again. :suicide:

It consisted of:
  • 50 squats
  • 50 dead lifts (using a bar - 20-25kg)
  • 50 push ups
  • 50 bent over rows (using a bar - 20-25kg)
  • 50 tricep push ups
  • 25 burpees
  • 50 left leg raises (with lowered foot placed on a raised step so the tension is all on your arse as you raise your leg)
  • 50 right leg raises (with lowered foot placed on a raised step so the tension is all on your arse as you raise your leg)
  • 50 step-ups (25 right leg, 25 left leg)
  • 50 more squats
  • 25 clean and press (using a bar - 20-25kg)
Repeat x 2. I'm dying after it, brilliant workout. Out of the thousand, I reckon I maybe did 900...I could barely move towards the half-way mark of some of the exercises (such as tricep push ups).

Struggling to understand this?! 11 sets of 50 on each of them excercises??

Let me ask "the man" see what he says unless you think it would be better coming from you IG?

Probably best coming from you and the people interested, What about a poll to gauge interest.? Let me know if you want help with that.

Struggling to understand this?! 11 sets of 50 on each of them excercises??

No, one set of 50 of each exercise (well 9 x 50 and 2 x 25) gives a total of 500 repetitions across all the exercises. Doing the whole thing twice gives you a thousand reps.

GUYS Please Read.

You may or may not have seen it but I think there may be grounds to expand this single thread into a "Fitness / Health / My Workouts" sub forum of GC, lets face it there are nearly 1/4 the posts in this one thread in a few weeks that the entire muscians and white goods section have since they started.

So it would seem we have the interest .

My thoughts are we see if Stuart would allow us a subforum of GC, we can make a few stickies, the mods will yank out the relevent sticky stuff for the sub forum, but this would then allow each individual to keep a log online and have folks give them feedback , your own "personal" space so to speak.

I guess it would also allow us much more organisation so we could have stickies on

Best Workouts.
Supplements Advice.
Nutrition Facts.
Before/After Photos.

Yada yada..

Sort of make it a "Fitness & Health " dedicated section.

Thoughts, do this seem like a good idea?

IG could you slap a poll on this post?

Sort of

Would you like the idea?

Yes , Stuart , please let us have a sub form for health and fitness.
No, prefer all in one thread as it is.

Probably best coming from you and the people interested, What about a poll to gauge interest.? Let me know if you want help with that.

IG, could you slap a poll on my last post?

thx

I can't add a poll I'll have to start a separate thread and put in link in here, unless you want to do it?

Would you like the idea?

Yes , Stuart , please let us have a sub form for health and fitness.
No, prefer all in one thread as it is.

I know I'd be interested in starting my own personal thread will daily information on my diet/routines.

I've been reading Kavs blog but it probably doesn't get the same feedback as it would if it was on a thread somewhere.

Was it a case of just going from one exercise straight into the other?

Might try doing something similar this evening.

On the first 500, we got about 30 seconds between each set. On the second 500, we had to go as fast as we could with no break between sets. (I took some breaks.)

Same, the blog just isn't the same as multiple personal threads folks can easily swop between, plus we can link to stickies, constantly add new informaiton, workouts, have a sticky "video thread" for good fitness stuff from YT.

I think a custom "Fitness, Health & Workouts" section might well be hugely popular.

IG, how far are we away from hitting the 1k posts?

Subforum sounds good to me Simon, I think the way it has been done in the past is that a poll needs 100 or more replies in the positive before Stuart will consider it. :smashin:

Am I being dense, I can't seem to find the page navigation on this thread any more?

Where the heck is it?

I'm hoping Stuart might not need 100 confirmations, simply because in a few weeks
we are have 1/4 as many posts as entire sub forums do from their start.

Never know, he might be in a good mood.

Thinking about it, we could have a bunch of stickies.

Best Motivating Workout Videos........

Yada yada.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom