Do you work out and do you need Motivation VIII

sniffer66

Distinguished Member
Struggling a bit at the moment :(

My Menieres has kicked in pretty heavily the last few weeks and I'm getting constant rotational vertigo and screaming tinnitus. Not sleeping much either
Been to see my Consultant and I've also lost the hearing in my left ear entirely now - I had a little before that was helped with an aid. So based on that we've taken the decision to "obliterate" my left ear entirely and go fo the big Op. So, will have a trapdoor cut in my skull, the nerve sectioned and everything removed. My ear will be blocked up using tissue from my stomach apparently.

Training and work has been a but tough but have been trying to muddle through. I had series of injections through my ear drum to chemically section some of my ear on Mon/Tues and am just recovering now. Hopefully that will help until the big Op in September.

I've only got 6 weeks til my lads beach holiday so that has put me back a bit. About to kick off an FBW at home and see how that feels.

Onwards and upwards :)

sniffer66

Distinguished Member
Oh, and I might ask him how much fatty tissue he could take from my tum. A little extra might help :)

DrWise

Banned
Hope it all works out sniffer with the op

qwerty321

What would be the best way to track calories burnt during weight workouts? I currently use MyFitnessPal to track my calories and the only way to put them in there is a weights section which shows 60 minutes of weights at around 250 calories. Bearing in mind that that 60 minutes includes rest time.

silent ninja

What would be the best way to track calories burnt during weight workouts? I currently use MyFitnessPal to track my calories and the only way to put them in there is a weights section which shows 60 minutes of weights at around 250 calories. Bearing in mind that that 60 minutes includes rest time.
It's really hard to estimate. Too many factors. I would just take that value and run with it. it's a reasonable esimate. You could try a heart rate monitor if you have one.

sniffer66

Distinguished Member
I've mucked around with a few devices. The problem is that HRM's algorithms are set up for aerobic calorie burn related to Heart rate (oddly enough :) ). Weight lifting is anaerobic so an HRM is not suitable. Fitbits and pedometers are out for obvious reasons
Guesstimating is hard because of daily changes in intensity, reps, weights, rest times etc

The best device I borrowed was a Ki-Fit, which is the UK version of the Bodybugg. That usually had me at between 290 and 350 calories burnt per session. That device has multiple sensors and algorithms so knows what type of exercise you are doing
The one thing none take into consideration in the post workout calorie burn from lifting weights so at the end of the day everything you do is guesswork. and as per Ninjas recent video, your body adapts all the time to intake and exercise anyway so numbers will never stay constant

I've now learnt to just pick a decent deficit, spike it now and then with a good carb up and let my results tell me if I need to adjust at all. Trying to accurately estimate calorie burn is like trying to nail jelly to a wall :)

I think the best way to use MFP is to try and hit a daily intake target, at the right macros, and adjust based on a few weeks results. Forget about working out exercise cals

qwerty321

Cheers guys. Ill probably just stick to recording cardio in there which I usually enter in Endmondo and that syncs to MFP.

Another question now. Whats the best way to avoid sore kness that I seem to get with the leg press? Over the few weeks I've gone from around 70kg to 85kg. The 85kg isn't too bad for my legs, I can now manage 3 x 10 at that weight but I've noticed that my knees feel sore the next day. I have had a week and a half off due a cold but I felt this happening before that and didn't think much of it.

Don't want to take it too far and damage something. Doing other exercises like Leg Extension/Curl feels fine.

sniffer66

Distinguished Member
Cheers guys. Ill probably just stick to recording cardio in there which I usually enter in Endmondo and that syncs to MFP.

Another question now. Whats the best way to avoid sore kness that I seem to get with the leg press? Over the few weeks I've gone from around 70kg to 85kg. The 85kg isn't too bad for my legs, I can now manage 3 x 10 at that weight but I've noticed that my knees feel sore the next day. I have had a week and a half off due a cold but I felt this happening before that and didn't think much of it.

Don't want to take it too far and damage something. Doing other exercises like Leg Extension/Curl feels fine.

if you really did want to try and track it I would say 300 cals an hour would be a good estimate. I've seen averages like that posted and my Ki-Fit data suggests the same. maybe up it to 350 on a heavy leg day. I think a lot of people overestimate burn when try to track, couple that with the fact most underestimate calories and its easy to end up on the wrong side of the equation

Like I said, for fat loss I now pick a target I know is on the low side say 1800-1900 cals (when I burn approx 2700), that then has a built in error factor if I overestimate my intake by a few hundred. I'll still be in a decent deficit - and allows me to grab a treat if I'm really needing it :)

Is the pain right in the knee joints, like a warmth ? A friend and I get that when we overdo it on legs (and after a long i.e 100 mile cycle) Doc says its age related and the cartilage :( Been told not to overdo it and megadose the fish oil. I'm a bit older so do about 8g of fish oil a day anyway for joint health

Personally I wouldn't push it too hard if its hurting, Your body is giving you feedback. Maybe increase the weight a little slower until your body adapts

reiteration

if you really did want to try and track it I would say 300 cals an hour would be a good estimate. I've seen averages like that posted and my Ki-Fit data suggests the same. maybe up it to 350 on a heavy leg day. I think a lot of people overestimate burn when try to track, couple that with the fact most underestimate calories and its easy to end up on the wrong side of the equation

Like I said, for fat loss I now pick a target I know is on the low side say 1800-1900 cals (when I burn approx 2700), that then has a built in error factor if I overestimate my intake by a few hundred. I'll still be in a decent deficit - and allows me to grab a treat if I'm really needing it :)

Is the pain right in the knee joints, like a warmth ? A friend and I get that when we overdo it on legs (and after a long i.e 100 mile cycle) Doc says its age related and the cartilage :( Been told not to overdo it and megadose the fish oil. I'm a bit older so do about 8g of fish oil a day anyway for joint health

Personally I wouldn't push it too hard if its hurting, Your body is giving you feedback. Maybe increase the weight a little slower until your body adapts
yeah, I got that a few months back when i was doing lots of leg presses - it was really painful (was hard to even kneel down on it) and after googling it - seemed like it could be permanent.. :eek: but I stopped doing leg exercises for a few weeks and the pain went away luckily...

m1stergeorge

My motivation has been atrocious recently. Two gym visits this week due to what I believe to be slothness being disguised as lethargy.

I have a target of 13th July to lose 15 pounds which is entire possible, it's just getting the final push to make it to the end. When I'm on form, I get to the gym 4 times a week minimum without fail. What has changed though, I just dunno.

DrWise

Banned
I know I've trained quite hard, now I'm slacking :( diet is out of the window
Doesn't help with the boxing club going under refurb

Br00n

How do guys :hiya:

After a lay off for 18 months with a rotator cuff injury then coming off my bike at the top of the Pentland Hills and injuring my right arm in December (still hurts) I have been training again for the past 3 months, at first nice and low to strengthen the problem shoulder and now getting back up to strength.

Just back from 2 weeks holiday (yes I kept the training going as best I could) and want to step it up now but probably more from the diet point of view.

Start of the year I had crept up to 15st 9 so had put on about 1.5st during the layoff and lost a lot of muscle mass.
I am now about 15st 3 and have been for 3 months.

I feel much better and have got the fat% down quite a bit but as shifting the gut and losing the fat is proving to be a right pain.

I have been putting in 3 full upper body sessions (all dumbbell work) and 3 1 hour cardio sessions a week increasing intensity as I have got stronger/fitter.

So to my diet ... clearly I have not been eating in such a way that helps me shred the fat so am now determined to sort it out.
My aim is to be strong and fit, not concerned about getting big or bringing out a 6 pack :)

My plan is to have a decent smoothie for breakfast with a a mix of fruit and natural yoghurt or a piace of wholmeal toast and a couple of eggs.
Lunch will be a substantial salad with egg/ham/tuna/chicken or a big bowl of hommade soup (tons of veg, lentils)
Dinner time will consist of chicken breast, lean beef and veg, small amounts of carbs like 50g of pasta or a few new potatoes.

Gonna cut out alcohol (for a while anyway :) ) and reduce tea and coffee to 1 cup a day.

Supplement wise I will continue to have a shake after a weights session but haven't considered anything else yet.

Any tips on my food plan or recommendations are really what I'm after so feel free to advise away

cheers :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Foster

Distinguished Member
No leg day :O, what you have set out for your diet looks good mate. give it time and you'll see the results.

Br00n

No leg days, legs are actually coming on great with running and cycling :)

reiteration

I had a tough weekend in some ways...

friday night was kettlercise and metafit which was hard in the intense heat of the local church hall...

then saturday morning - was at a bootcamp...we do various exercises but in the summer months we're outside :)
we started off with arm ups of running on the spot, skipping, burpees and squat thrusts - 3 rounds of that... the a sprint, then kettlerbells - 12 kg swings with each hand for 2 minutes (per hand)...tho, a couple of women were talking so we had do some burpees haha - then start again (we'd already completed a minute), then the same for the swing and jerk...and high swings etc...

was hard going but great fun :)

DrWise

Banned
Boxing gym still getting refurbed
Been on/off running
Diet sucks

Will get it on point though

Foster

Distinguished Member
Anyone here give any tips on deadlifting, i'm 6ft 4 and it is just awkward. Should I take a wider stance so I don't have any issues clearing the bar?

Foster

Distinguished Member

Foster

Distinguished Member

silent ninja

If those drugs had no side effects or after effects (loss of gains), and if I was a guy that wanted mass, I'd take them. Why not. People's limits are different so many would do it in spite of the side effects-- and in fact lots and lots of people in regular gyms do indeed take substances. Most don't have a clue what they are doing though.

Probably all athletes take PEDs anyway. Let's not kid ourselves. It's not a bunch of ice baths, sports massages and tweaks to training regimes that have enabled humans to make astronomical gains in track and field, whatever the sport. We're kidding ourselves if we believe that. A 10s 100m sprint isn't anything special anymore. Think about it.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020

Latest News

Denon, Marantz and Yamaha AV receivers hit by HDMI 2.1 bug
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
McIntosh launches MX100 AV processor and MI347 power amp
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung updates and expands access to Samsung TV Plus
  • By Andy Bassett