1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you want to receive HDTV today?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Boy Lex, May 10, 2005.

?
  1. I've seen it... It rocks!!!!

26 vote(s)
    41.9%
  2. I've seen it... It's no big deal.

5 vote(s)
    8.1%
  3. I've not seen it, but it's going to rock!!!

26 vote(s)
    41.9%
  4. I've not seen it and I think it'll be a disapointment.

5 vote(s)
    8.1%
  1. Boy Lex

Boy Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just out of interest why is everyone going nuts for HDTV? There seem to be plenty of people just itching to spend a great deal of money on HD kit who are seemingly quite angry that it isn't here already and that broadcasters aren't broadcasting it in the UK already?

Why? What's the big deal?

Out of those that are interested in spending wads of cash on it, who has actually seen it in action? What makes anyone think that they will get a better picture out of it? Is it just a hankering to plug into an unused port on a plasma tv? Or is HD going to be the same as the colour TV revolution (wasn't that freeview?!)?

Post abuse here!

2. jondarren

jondarren

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am in the process of buying a Plasma and had put the order in for an HD set top box with the screen so i could get the best picture possible, but then i had 2nd thoughts. Do i really want ANOTHER box and ANOTHER remote to deal with when i'm only getting HD for a handful of channels? I decided that i would just buy the Plasma, run a quality component cable connection from my DVD player and enjoy the benefits that way. Until HD is broadcast for cable and sattelite channels too, i think i'll wait.

Jon.........

3. sy278

sy278

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I saw HDTV in action in the states a few years ago, and the picture quality is simply fantastic! :thumbsup:

4. mentsugi

mentsugi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I saw HDTV in Japan in a hotel thi syear and it blew me away too. I would certainly spend the extra for it when it is available.

5. Hairy Herman

Hairy Herman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the question you have to ask yourself is, if HD wasn't on the way, would you be dissatisfied with, for example SD DVDs? I think the quality, from an average viewing distance, is superb! I also think, with the amount of compression Sky currently use, HDTV will end up looking like this! (see attatchment)

PS anyone who can tell me who that picture is of gets a free panasonic pv500 :D

disclaimer: only kidding

6. Boy Lex

Boy Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think that's at the heart of this question. Is there anything wrong with standard definition? Working in tv, I get to see the quality of stuff that comes out of standard definition cameras... and it looks awesome. I find it hard to believe that an HD picture will look that much better than an uncompressed SD picture just because it's using more pixels. It seems a bit funny to me that a lot of people are going mad for stuff to be shot in HD when we aren't even broadcasting the SD stuff at its maximum potential.

7. KoThreads

KoThreads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    At what sort of quality is the SD camera standard in comparison to the best broadcast picture we can receive now?

And is it going to be that we will never see this quality on any home screen as it'll be by-passed for HDTV?

8. Boy Lex

Boy Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well it's comparable to DVD, except that DVD is still compressed (albeit a lot less than digital tv). So basically, the potential is on a par to the best quality DVD you've seen.

If HDTV takes off, it's most likely that 98% of what is shown (to start off anyway) will be standard definition upconverted to HD. This should look stunning (theoretically), but theoretically standard definition looks great until it is compressed to pieces. If the broadcasters decide to broadcast HD but compress it to pieces then it seems to me that it'll be a bit of a waste of time.

I think the problem is from a marketing perspective, HD has the ability to stir up a frenzy of buying new kit, subscriptions, etc, whereas Sky would never broadcast something and bill it as 'uncompressed' as it would never generate the same interest.

9. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

I suspect the reverse will be true.
    All the movies will be genuine HD taken from the original or remastered prints. Premiership footy will be filmed in HD and virtually all SKY's US imports are available in HD already.
    Of course I am only talking about SKY's offerings since they are the only ones who have committed to broadcasting HD, even the BBC have only so far committed to HD production targets.

The BBC from what I have read have done an upconversion of The Blue Planet with good results but it's an expensive and time consuming process which should become a thing of the past when producing HD native content is cheaper than SD plus a conversion process.

The only thing HD has over SD is image quality, unlike the move to digital which was all about cost savings the move to HD will only generate money if the service lives up to the hype.
    IF the cut throat US market can get HD right then I have no worries about the UK market especially if the BBC get involved, mind you they have done bugger all about raising the standards of SD picture quality so their presence in the HD arena may not make any difference.
    However EURO1080 will have it's channels broadcast from 28.2 using mpeg4 so a side by side comparison with SKY and anyother UK broadcaster should be possible.

10. akagotenks

akagotenks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im a satalite engineer and i have done a few HD installs for some brand shops now the only thing u can get in this country is a looping advert on a satalite 19.8 degrees and seeing the HD picture on a sony plasma even going through a component cables not a HDMI cable (as no sony plasma tv or other has a HDMI slot untill autumn) it still whipped the floor of any picture qulity that is around an if your a serious tv watcher and are into your set ups it would be well wourth the money

11. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +211
    I went to a BBC R&D open day around 5 years ago and they had a HDTV set. The quality was amazing. In one part of the demo they had a film of an English country garden. It looked like you were looking out of a window. :eek:

Try changing your PC settings from 1280x1024 to 800x600. That's the kind of difference.

Did you upgrade from VHS to DVD? What was the point in that? They both offer the ability to view recorded material ;)

12. JayCee

JayCee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,884
    I don't think I would employ you when you can't even spell your occupation properly :rolleyes:

13. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +211
    If he could spell satellite it wouldn't make him a better installer ;)

Do you give all trades people a spelling test before you let them in ? :rotfl:

14. JayCee

JayCee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,884
    Come on........if he's sloppy in a basic thing like that stands to reason he's going to be sloppy in other area's too IMHO :lesson:

15. Plamff

Plamff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    areas

16. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +211
    :rotfl: must mean he's cr@p at his job :rotfl:

17. JayCee

JayCee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,884
    :rotfl: :rotfl:

18. ijd

ijd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    areas = more than one area
    area`s= the area is :lesson:

19. ijd

ijd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    Come on........if he's sloppy in a basic thing like that stands to reason he's going to be sloppy in other area's too IMHO
    do you live in a glass house???

20. Boy Lex

Boy Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    how do you spell hd?

21. ijd

ijd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    however you want

22. newbiebie

newbiebie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The picture is of Paris Hilton :clap:

Can you send me the PV500 now please? :D

23. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +711
    I didn't think that the Paris Hilton looked anything like that.
    And why isn't the Eiffel tower in the background ? :)

Chris Muriel, Manchester

24. newbiebie

newbiebie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :rotfl: :rotfl:

25. diverse

diverse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Footie on my 505XDE in Std or Sky def is unwatchable, roll on HIDEF!