1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you video switch?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by MarkHudds, Aug 21, 2002.

1. MarkHudds

MarkHudds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi,

Just wondering how many of you use your av amps for video switching???

If you don't, was there any reason why you chose not to i.e. fear of signal loss?

Cheers.:D :D

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Of course I do, there is no practical reason not to. "Signal loss" ??? Come on...

Mike.

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,909
    Yes.

All my sources are connected via composite and SVideo into my Denon 3801. The composite monitor output goes to the TV (only a 24" model, and not used for movies so ultimate picture quality not important). The SVideo monitor output goes to my projector.

The DVD is the only component source I have, so it has a direct component cable to my Sony VW10 PJ (ie not via the amp) which is used for DVD movies. For Laserdisc. live TV, & VHS, when watched on the PJ, I use the SVideo feed from the amp.

I did compare Laserdisc direct to PJ with Laserdisc via amp to PJ and couldn't see any visible difference.

4. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No!

I have enough inputs on the TV for my needs.
    If I didn't I'd video switch thru the amp though, no problem!

True, a direct connection is usually preferable to switching thru the amp, but just because you switch, doesn't mean you have to switch all your sources. As few, if any, amps can switch RGB, that's one issue, esp for Sky and DVD.

The other is that many amps don't allow you to mix S-video and composite sources - well they do, but not at the same time!

What I find annoying is the total lack of any sort of logic from the manufacturers.

Let's make an AV amp which can switch either S-video or composite, and then make products which output RGB as the high quality video alternative. Then lets make sure our TV sets only have one RGB input.
    Then let's add component video switching to the amps, even though few people actually need this, as it's only really used on DVD players and few people have more than one DVD player (which they will no doubt connect directly anyway).
    Let's make sure that no conversion can take place to make things doubly useless.

One day we'll get an amp which can switch RGB, S-video, component and composite, and be able to handle them all at the same time.
    The trouble is that this would then require 4 inputs on the TV, which probably defeats the object a bit.........., so it would probably need to do conversion as well, and I feel a 2grand price tag coming on :)

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Not whilst the major markets are the USA we won't. They won't change their amps to include switching of RGB just for the Brits.

In answer to the question I don't use my amp for video switching and wish it didn't have the facilities at all.

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MikeK,

It's possible to use component socketry for RGB switching (sync via composite).

IanJ, I do hope you're not being a snob again...:D

Mike.

7. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Yes. My DVD player's svideo output goes into my TAG processor which then feeds an svideo output to my TV via an svideo/SCART lead.

Why do I do this?

1. My DVD player has no SCARTS!:eek: - (it does have component video out but my TV doesn't accept these)
    2. The TAG menu/volume control are displayed on the screen whenever I adjust them (which is quite handy)
    3. I don't know how much truth there is in this but I was told routing the video signal through the processor (along with the audio signal) can help to minimise any lip synch errors.

So, in my case, it's the logical thing to do.

Matt.

8. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't use the amp for video switching.

I don't see why i should compromise my video quality and choose a lower standard video signal when nowadays, it many cases, there is no need to.

It may be needed in the US market and for those with projectors but most (but not all) televisions have more than adequate audio passthrough capability for the non-digital audio sources.

9. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "compromise" ? "lower standard" ? Are you precieving this quality drop or are we just talking about hypothetical/pscychological/somone-told-me-so differences ? You're running a very substandard amp if you can see the difference between it being in the video path and it not.

I've got seven sources and video switching them via my amp is the best way into my TV's single input.

Mike.

10. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Yes, using S-Video as the inputs on my TV are limited.

Actually I should use component but haven't had time to make a long enough cable (x3) and wall outlets, thus I prefer one run using S-Video.
    Thinking of installing an outlet with 4 RCA (3x component, 1x composite) for DVD and VCR/OSD to reduce the visible cables.

11. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    lower standard as in not being able to use RGB or component and having to use s-video instead. Or in some cases having to use composite instead.

Nothing hypothetical about the loss of quality between RGB and composite.

12. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is no perceptable difference between s-video and RGB/component in most circumstances.

Mike.

13. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does this work with all AV amps with component video?

And how does it "switch" the fast blank signal which many TVs require to switch into RGB mode?

IanJ
    I agree about the US-centric nature of these products - but it's not just the Brits, most of Europe is in the same boat.
    It would be nice if they did a cheaper audio-only version of some of these AV amps/recvr's, but I guess the same comments apply - if it can't do video it's not an AV amp - shame really (although I suppose technically they are correct).

As for there being no difference between having the amp in the video path or not, I guess mostly that may be true, but there are several posts on this issue, most recently from somebody suffering interference when using an AX10, a non too substandard £2500.
    In any case, I really can't see any postive benefits on signal quality from doing this - only potential negatives (which, fair enough, may or may not be readily apparent).
    My opinion is connect directly whenever possible and use switching only if you need to!

14. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Depends very much on the TV I think.

On mine the difference is quite easily noticable, although either is still watchable. With S-video, line edges are more jagged, there's slighlty more noise (tizz) in the picure, and moire patterning is present at times (presumbaly the comb filter) - but then it seems ever so slightly sharper (I put this down to edge enhancement)

15. chic

chic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +871
    yep i use the switching on my denon 2802

i have ps2 connected via svideo
    svhs video connected via svideo
    svideo cable runs from amp to panasonic ptae 100

tosh 510 conected to amp via component
    game cube connected to amp via component

component cable runs from amp to pj

the switching works very well and its save me from unplugging thing the switching capability was the main reason i bought a new amp

16. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I posted elsewhere last week that in the hifi world of amplifiers "Less is more" and the better amps have been stripped of all extras in the search for better sound.

I don't use the video switching, dsp modes or multi room facilities and would rather have an AV amp without all of these unnecessary bits.

17. johnny

johnny
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    until i got my AE100 i didnt video switch at all. I daisy chained everything via RGB scart which works great. (ITV Digital, Tivo, DVD player all into 1 RGB scart on TV)

Now with the PJ i use S-Video, with the ITV Digital / Tivo going into an RGB to S-video converter (into amp) and the DVD going into the amp, then the output going into a ProV into the PJ

Works a treat.

Only downside is my TV picture is now composite only, by using the VCR scart ouput of the Tivo to feed the TV. I could get round this by buying the John Sims Frame Buffer thing, but to be honest, I cant be bothered.

18. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I only use video switching for tape copying (video camera tape) or very occasionally copying a rental DVD.

Saves digging around the back of the 950.