Do you use Uber to get around?

oneman

Never once used an Uber. I have used Lyft when I was in San Francisco a couple of years ago, but never used an Uber, or similar, over here. Just never had the need to.
Its difficult to own a car in SF these days. I was out there in 2019 and one of the drivers said there are 10,000 uber/lyft drivers in the city (most drivers are signed up for both companies). Often I could call a cab in the hotel room and it would be waiting for us before we got to the lobby. I used both as both had offered vouchers for the first xxx rides.

My main issue was the airport when I landed as lyft and uber are not allowed near the terminal and they have to go to the main car park and up a few flights of stairs. I found this to be the case in many airports now. Not a huge issue but if you have just done a long flight with young kids and lots of luggage its just something to be aware off.

The Dark Horse

I understand regulation and all that, but that doesn't mean the black cab industry doesn't need an overhaul. It's very expensive and lacks the interface expected in modern times.

It must be frustrating being a black cab driver as learning the knowledge isn't easy and buying/renting a cab is very expensive. I'm not sure how they can compete anymore though, I've heard the arguments about knowing the roads and routes but in most cases is that level of expertise needed, probably not.

aVdub

Distinguished Member
It must be frustrating being a black cab driver as learning the knowledge isn't easy and buying/renting a cab is very expensive. I'm not sure how they can compete anymore though, I've heard the arguments about knowing the roads and routes but in most cases is that level of expertise needed, probably not.

Learning the knowledge must be a dying art now with satnav and the like.

mjn

Distinguished Member
Learning the knowledge must be a dying art now with satnav and the like.

Quite a few “driving” jobs require you to be able to navigate London without using sat nav.

Laureline

When I'm in the US I tend to use Lyft (a rival to Uber there) quite often though the problem there tends to be that in the Suburbs they're not very plentiful with the large territories and scarcity of people without a car it's hard for a driver to just drive round waiting for someone to appear

In the City, but not downtown, they're great because they rides are plentiful and you just can't wander the streets hoping to find an unoccupied cab driving by.

Downtown itself then there's no need cabs are plentiful and why wait for a driver to find you when 10-or-more cabs will pass you by.

I found that to be the same when I was last in London, if you're out in further suburbs then a Uber was easier than hunting down a Cab. But when I was in Birmingham there didn't seem to be many around even when I was at the top of Corporation Street so hardly far from the centre.

In Germany I'm thinking I've never really had a need for one. When I've needed a lift to the airport I've always used a taxi company and no-wonder checking the App there's not an Uber rider in town (Aschaffenburg) . Looking at downtown Frankfurt there's only a handful

Plumsandpearls

When I'm in the US I tend to use Lyft (a rival to Uber there) quite often though the problem there tends to be that in the Suburbs they're not very plentiful with the large territories and scarcity of people without a car it's hard for a driver to just drive round waiting for someone to appear

In the City, but not downtown, they're great because they rides are plentiful and you just can't wander the streets hoping to find an unoccupied cab driving by.

Downtown itself then there's no need cabs are plentiful and why wait for a driver to find you when 10-or-more cabs will pass you by.

I found that to be the same when I was last in London, if you're out in further suburbs then a Uber was easier than hunting down a Cab. But when I was in Birmingham there didn't seem to be many around even when I was at the top of Corporation Street so hardly far from the centre.

In Germany I'm thinking I've never really had a need for one. When I've needed a lift to the airport I've always used a taxi company and no-wonder checking the App there's not an Uber rider in town (Aschaffenburg) . Looking at downtown Frankfurt there's only a handful
You're not allowed to flag down taxis in belfast (though some do stop), so I do find uber handy.

Tel69

Standard Member
Back when we had a social life I used Uber from time to time and never had a problem. The cost is reasonable and I’ve not had a nightmare driver yet plus the app is really good too.

coolblu

Yes..it’s quick, convenient, reliable, safe and relatively cheap.

Never had an issue with them once in the 30+ times I’ve used them.

Best thing to happen to the taxi trade in my view.

internetuser

Inside Uber etc as it’s easier to get a taxi and you can track it and your journey.

especially at transport hubs when taxis used to take the mickey with prices and or routes, even in my home town they tried to do this to me as I got a taxi from the station. Didn’t realise I was local till we got destination and I asked for his badge number and an explanation for the route he took.

with Uber you check the route afterwards. Any issues it’s gps logged. And the drivers know this so don’t take the mickey.

Autumn Rain

We don't have them where I am but I've used them elsewhere and generally found them to be very good and a lot cheaper than using regular taxis.

anticlaus105

The first time I used uber I manged to order it to a few streets away. Other than that glitch it's worked well for me. A friend ordered one on a drunken night out but decided to cancel. The next day he found it had driven to his home, back to the start and back to his house. He had to go through the licensing authority to get a refund as uber didn't want to know.

Notorious PIG

I’ve used them all over the place. UK, USA and mainland Europe. Quick, convenient and reasonably priced. Takes a lot of hassle out of sourcing cab companies in every single place, faffing about with cash, etc.

I’ve never had any issue with dodgy behaviour or safety or anything.

Koeman2021

There's no uber coverage here so no. Plus the abundance of local taxis charge £3.50 for a 3-4 mile trip so cheap enough. Most have their own apps too.

My friend booked me one to do a 40 mile trip once and seemed fine.

Laureline

I’ve used them all over the place. UK, USA and mainland Europe. Quick, convenient and reasonably priced. Takes a lot of hassle out of sourcing cab companies in every single place, faffing about with cash, etc.

I’ve never had any issue with dodgy behaviour or safety or anything.

Yes all my Uber/Lyft drivers have ranged from talkative and very friendly to ones who don't say a word for the entire journey but never have I had one who's been rude or I've felt unsafe with

Midnight Falcon

I used Uber once. Unfortunately the driver started evangelising at me with the excuse that her faith demanded she “spread Gods word”.

Fortunately it was a short trip or I would have ended it there and then.

I have nothing against people’s faith as long as they don’t seek to force it on me, respect is a two way street.

oneman

There's no uber coverage here so no. Plus the abundance of local taxis charge £3.50 for a 3-4 mile trip so cheap enough. Most have their own apps too.

My friend booked me one to do a 40 mile trip once and seemed fine.
wow, I think its more than that just to get in the cab round here and mileage on top.

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom