Do you use something other than Google?

S

Salad Dodger

Hi,

Just curious, really.

Do you all use Google for things you want to search for, or do you use other sites like Ask, or MSN, etc.

I prefer Google, tbh, I'm just interested to know what others use :)

Ta,

Salad Dodger :D

Started using google in 1999 when I was at uni as It always seemd to return the most relevant results. Have not use anything else since.

I use Dogpile, seems to work fine for me. I'm not a fan of the format of the Google results page, but I'm weird that way...............

I use Dogpile, seems to work fine for me. I'm not a fan of the format of the Google results page, but I'm weird that way...............

I'm the exact opposite; I've become so used the to the results page, I find it hard to go somewhere else.

I have used Dog pile once or twice, but not a fan.

not really used anything else since 2000
- before that used Yahoo and Metacrawler

if I was a fictional character in a British TV show I would probably use www.search-wise.net due to advertising regs :D

depends. I usually use google, although If I'm using IE7 (which is very rare now), I just use Live search because its quicker (i'm lazy lol).

If I'm looking for images though, I tend to do searches on all the main search engines as they bring up different results.

Google all of the time, although I don't visit the homepage anymore. Just changed the IE search box so that it use Google instead of Live Search.

"Google" all the way for me - been using it for last 5 years, did have a brief flirtation with "Dogpile", found that better for music but that was about it.

I've been using google since it hit beta, '99 or '98? Tried other search engines and not really found anything that much better. For all the corporate portals that I've put in, the first thing on the suggestion list from me is how to make it more "google like".

I do expect something radically different to break through soon though, takes a bit of tweaking to get decent search results on google for certain things.

Google does seem to give the most relevant results, occasionally i use Yahoo if i'm not getting much joy at Google (though it never makes an improvement).

I used to use Infoseek all the time though...i forgot about it until this thread (good question actually :clap: )

i tend to use yahoo most of the time....i only use google if yahoo is throwing back too many shop listings and not enough homepage links......does annoy me that....google does it too.....but sometimes if yahoo is doing it google isnt and vice versa...

remember a friend of mine tearing his hair out at work for a uni course he was doing....had been searching google every day for best part of 2 months for a site with information on something that would help him......i wandered past and he said could i think of any other way of asking google to try and find it.....so i said type this in the URL.....www.yahoo.co.uk .....so he said if google isnt finding it how is yahoo going to...i said just do it....then type in the basic search string......voila.....first link :D

... remember a friend of mine tearing his hair out at work for a uni course he was doing....had been searching google every day for best part of 2 months for a site with information on something that would help him...
was it a particular site in question ... or just any random site with a complete text he could copy and paste or print?
- two months is indeed a long time, sure he wasn't looking up other words like britney? :D :devil:

I remember the days that t'interweb played no part in university coursework, essay writing etc .... ;)

I've been using www.alltheweb.com for a few years now. It got taken over by yahoo a couple of years ago, but I just like the simple uncluttered look of it. It's never let me down yet, whether looking for pictures or just information.
I never went the Google route, I tried it, but hated the way it tried to 'take over' everything

I've noticed it does take longer to find something with Google now. Before it only took a couple of minutes and 1 or 2 word query. But now, it takes alot longer and you need to be more specific with your queries. Feels like Google is over-saturated.

though not a search engine in the traditional sense, Wikipedia is of course very good and represents that friendly cooperative free spirit that was what the WWW was originally about .... e.g. they don't do any censorship deals with the Chinese govt like Microsoft, Google, et al.

google for me, i've had google.co.uk as my homepage for years, i got fed up with having a screen full of ads and links on yahoo, google is nice and clean

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom