Do you use a rain repellent?

m1stergeorge

Prominent Member
Reaction score
As title really, I'm going to start buying a couple bits and bobs to look after the car myself as the £12 visit to the car wash every few weeks is starting to sting.

One of this things I'm keen to get opinions on are Rain Repellents. I've heard stories ranging from great to awful depending on the brand/quality and Rain-X seems to be the main brand that people go for. Also, do you usually apply direct to the windscreen or are there additives to add to the screen wash? Reason I ask is because I was going to start using the AutoGlym branded screen wash as well.

Last edited:
I have rain x....I don't rate it. It's quite smeary and difficult to apply. It causes the water to bunch up but doesn't really help keep the glass any clearer.

Slightly different topic, I would recommend Gtechniq C2 as a finisher (instead of wax or on top of). So incredibly quick and easy to use and such an impressive finish. Better than anything else I've tried. I use it on the glass now (including windscreen) watered down and a lot easier to apply and similar effect.

Another vote for gtechnic products from me

Yes and on every car I have owned since the stuff came out .
The secret I believe is the Prep.
You have to really clean the glass 100%
Then get the time right before polishing it all off etc .
I also apply it to my wiper blades .
I find it makes them very quiet

In heavy rain there is a amazing difference and it's a lot safer .

Most get it wrong , so they end up not liking it .

Another vote for the gtechniq glass stuff.

I use the GTechniq G1/G2 on my glass

It's good stuff. But I don't rate all their products.
But I am not in to "detailing " . A good wash and some fast polish cleans the car enough for me .

I have Gtechniq G1/G2 on my windows. To be honest, I'm starting to think they're a waste of time. Are using wipers that difficult? The main gripe I have is that you can't/shouldn't use proper screenwash if you have the product applied because the acidic or alkaline nature will destroy the coating. What this means to me is lots of insect marks that just don't budge with plain water. So every couple of days I use a bug spray to get rid of them (which is killing the coating anyway). Yesterday i hit a local A road for 30 minutes and I had no less than 60 bugs splattered over my windscreen and bumper. The white smears on the windscreen are really annoying.

Yes, rain beads off and above around ~50mph there is no need to use wipers. But back to my first question: what's wrong with wipers? What value proposition are rain coatings actually providing because I'm just not seeing it.

Like anything in real life . We can all have different opinions and differences about products .
I can be happy with 90% of most repellent products . I have been using them so long etc . It's easy for me to get right without much effort . I use " Prestone" screen wash as I think it's fine for the money . And it never cause me any issues .

I like the fact that all the glass is a lot easier to see out in rain etc . The side windows so much better .
People who have not used it find the whole experience interesting . Less use of the wipers is much nicer . And in terrible rain I feel safer .

I still think it's down to how it's used . And most people apply it wrong . I never ever apply it on a hot day . And I give it anothe polish with a slight wet fibre cloth the next day .

I have Gtechniq G1/G2 on my windows. To be honest, I'm starting to think they're a waste of time. Are using wipers that difficult? The main gripe I have is that you can't/shouldn't use proper screenwash if you have the product applied because the acidic or alkaline nature will destroy the coating. What this means to me is lots of insect marks that just don't budge with plain water. So every couple of days I use a bug spray to get rid of them (which is killing the coating anyway). Yesterday i hit a local A road for 30 minutes and I had no less than 60 bugs splattered over my windscreen and bumper. The white smears on the windscreen are really annoying.

Yes, rain beads off and above around ~50mph there is no need to use wipers. But back to my first question: what's wrong with wipers? What value proposition are rain coatings actually providing because I'm just not seeing it.
I've found that bugs wipe off very easily with a bit of water and a bug sponge. Worst case, a bit of autoglym shampoo in the water will remove everything.

The only thing that really caused me a problem was when an old BMW 3-series decided to dump its coolant all over the track and my windscreen at the bottom of Eau Rouge. It then left the track in a sideways manner in a cloud of white smoke. Very scary.

Using wipers on my windscreen smeared said coolant leaving me with a lap to go and hardly any visibility. A bit of Fairy liquid removed the coolant but not the gtechniq.

FWIW, mine was applied by a professional detailer.

I'm pretty sure I use the Gtechniq C2V3 on my whole car including glass. It's been so long since I washed my car though... :)

i used autobrite stuff on my windscreen for the first time the other (usually use autoglym fast glass) and it came out great....

incidentally - i'd also recommend autobrite's snow foam wash (if youre getting into doing your car) - amazing stuff.... i'll throw a pic on in a bit..

Slightly ot..... [emoji1]
Image1464783475.056509.jpg

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom