1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

do you use a Projector at work? Do you treat it nicely?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Jules, Dec 8, 2004.

1. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +754
    As an HC projector owner, I give my unit plenty of time to cool before restarting and take great care not to disturb it whilst it is hot.
    Basically I follow all the good advice given on this forum to look after it.

However, my job involves carting a lap top and projector around for various presentations, and it occured to me how I (and others) rather abuse the companies projectors... yet they're all a few years old and still fine!!

As an example, today I had 3 presentations to deliver in 3 seperate venues.
    The projector was turned off and on at least once during each session,
    and was packed away in its case and carted around whilst still hot!
    I also didn't give the unit time to power down probably.... I just unplugged it!

Unless you're into H/C, anyone who uses a projector for work probably won't have a clue how to look after it. But is it really necessary?
    Are we over reacting in our efforts to protect our HC projectors?

2. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    I remember reading somewhere that just unplugging your PJ is actually kinder to the bulbs cause it allows them to cool more gradually.

The main point is not to allow them to be switched on again until they've cooled down completely. Although i'm not sure why. I would imagine that if you could keep the bulb at a constant hot temperature. It would be less likely to die thru thermal shock.

3. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +316
    As I understand it, the projector cool down period is necessary because the types of lamp used in projectors continue to generate heat for a short period of time after the power is removed - in the confines of a projector case, this heat generation might cause the bulb to overheat if it's not being actively cooled.

4. jhjerpe

jhjerpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    At lot of the business projectors are designed to be abused. Sacrifices are made in other areas to accommodate this. However I am continually amazed that the projectors we use at work actually survive!

5. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    When you pull the plug out the fan basically stops.

What actually happens is the temp inside the bulb actually RISES, simply cos there's no fan to dissipate that heat. That is no gradual cooling down process ! It can take over an hour and it ain't good.The latent heat kills the lamp.

Switch it back on again within a short time is worse. The lamp then generates further heat on top of what is already there. Kills it big time.

And boy do they generate some heat !

The thing about the work and business PJ's is you don't worry about them since you don't have to foot the bill :)