1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you turn 100hz processing off?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by CouchPotato, Mar 13, 2002.

1. CouchPotato

CouchPotato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After reading the 100hz or 50hz thread and others like it. Ive noticed that some people really do not like any 100hz artifacting.

Some sets have the option of swapping between 100hz and 50hz (Sony, Panasonic etc) and i am wondering does anyone that has the option of turning 100hz off, actually do it?

2. Banjaxe

Banjaxe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I would have thought that to make 100Hz work properly you would need a CRT tube with low persistence phosphors so that the current image fades out just in time for the next one to appear.

With 100Hz the fade time would be 10 milliseconds.

Likewise a 50Hz tube would need longer persistence phosphors that could retain the image for 20 milliseconds.

So can the same tube really do both 100Hz and 50Hz without any compromises ?

If Sony use tubes optimised for 100Hz on their FS and FQ TVs that could explain why DRC50 seems to flicker more than ordinary 50Hz TVs.

Ronnie

3. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the 36" Sony, has 100Hz and 50Hz both backed up with Sonys DRC, fantastic, no artifacts at all, have swapped it over to 50Hz once to see the difference but it soon went back to 100Hz, the flicker was so distracting, maybe it's down to watching 100Hz sets for the past 6yrs. I couldn't belive the difference.

The Phillips set i had a few years ago was pretty bad, but i cured that by turning all the extra digital processing off which i think is the main culprit, DNR and Sharpness are two of them, "wicked features". I'll stick with my 100Hz, i'm more than happy. :D

4. laurel

laurel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can switch off but don't.

Don't see any artifacts and don't like 50hz flicker.

100hz rules!!! :D

Laurel

5. CouchPotato

CouchPotato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    they were quick replys!! :)

What about football fans (are the guys above football fans?), im told 100hz artifacting is easier to spot when viewing footy games. Do you turn your 100hz off then?

6. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    Never turn mine off (can't anyway and even if I could I wouldn't!)
    It's superb, artefact free for all types of picture, incl. footy!

Can't stand watching 50Hz flicker anymore.
    My brother's 50Hz WS TV always gives me a headache now that I am used to 100Hz!

Maybe it's my eyes but I found reading colourful digital TV & DVD menus EXTREMELY uncomfortable on my old Sony 50Hz WS TV, which was the main reason I upgraded. 100Hz was like getting a new pair of specs!

7. laurel

laurel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Footy is fine on mine.

I am a poet and did not know it.

Laurel

8. bazzae123

bazzae123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Having first started the 100Hz or 50Hz thread I have slowly begun to like the 100Hz once again. I was watching the Arsenal game on ITV last night and the picture was great in 100Hz whereas I watched the Game on the BBC on Sunday and the picture was terrible. Also, some live broadcasts, apart from the footy, are great whereas on a lot of the recorded stuff the colours look really crap. Can anybody tell me why there should such a difference in broadcasting quality from the BBC and ITV especially on the footy?

Bazza

9. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Too many people mistake digital compression as a fault with 100hz televisions.

A decent tv video source (such as sky sports) will look perfect on my 100hz set. Whereas ITV The Premiership will often look over compressed and awful. Channel 5's coverage has been dire in the past. BBC seem to get it right most of the time with the big matches.

A 100hz is more likely to show the faults of compression than a 50hz set but don't blame the tv for the broadcasters error in using too much compression.

10. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    Well said DD

It's not just live ITV footy that suffers, but the ITV highlights progammes are pretty poor too.

The sky movie channels never have these artefacts and there are some films that have just as much fast moving subject matter and colourful content as a footy match.

11. CouchPotato

CouchPotato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes exactly doubledoom, at work i create animations using various codecs and so i am used to seeing digital colour dithering and noisy compressed images. Based on this previous experience i thought that (my sets) 100hz technology was extremely good. (i seriously dislike low refresh-rate flickering.)

However, it is still very reassuring to see those that have the choice still do not use 50hz even for viewing football. (tho RonnieBr puts forward a good reason for this)

it seems 100hz technology has a few friends here. :D good.

12. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    I´m another fan of 100hz, cant stand the flicker of 50hz, and only notice problems on some dvds, I put it down to poorly encoded discs as if it were the TV it would show on every single disc I watched.

I have switched the VNR and Digipure to Minimum though but cant switch them OFF totally.