Question Do you think we'll see 49' oleds?

winka45

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I'm toying with getting the b6 but unsure about the 55' it is OK from where I sit but the other side of the couch where wife sits a 55' will be slightly blocked by the fireplace so dunno whether to just get a 49' HDR uhd Lcd or wait and see if they make a 49' oled

Thanks

I asked a similar question here a few days ago (though I'm after a 40") but no answers. Others have asked this question too so it seems there is demand for sub 55" screen sizes.

I suspect the answer is this: as long as the electronic giants can convince people to buy 55"+ screens, they needn't bother producing anything smaller. Chances are, their profit margins are larger with the larger screens.

AFAIK, only LG are currently manufacturing OLED screens (though other electronic manufacturers incorporate them into their sets) so only when there are not enough purchasers to consume LG's entire OLED screen output will LG likely consider making smaller screens. With successful marketing currently managing to convince enough folk to buy 55"+ screens, smaller OLED screens may take some time to reach the market - if they ever do.

If there were many electronics manufacturers producing OLED screens, I'm certain we would have a wider selection of screen sizes because the 55"+ market would saturate rapidly which would force the production of smaller screen sizes.

Promisingly, it seems there are several electronics giants currently working on the next generation of OLED screens, QLED. But then there were quite a few manufacturers working on OLED a few years ago.

No. LG Display are the currently sole manufacturer of domestic OLED screens, and they make them in three sizes only; 55", 65" and 77".

I asked a similar question here a few days ago (though I'm after a 40") but no answers. Others have asked this question too so it seems there is demand for sub 55" screen sizes.

I suspect the answer is this: as long as the electronic giants can convince people to buy 55"+ screens, they needn't bother producing anything smaller. Chances are, their profit margins are larger with the larger screens.

AFAIK, only LG are currently manufacturing OLED screens (though other electronic manufacturers incorporate them into their sets) so only when there are not enough purchasers to consume LG's entire OLED screen output will LG likely consider making smaller screens. With successful marketing currently managing to convince enough folk to buy 55"+ screens, smaller OLED screens may take some time to reach the market - if they ever do.

If there were many electronics manufacturers producing OLED screens, I'm certain we would have a wider selection of screen sizes because the 55"+ market would saturate rapidly which would force the production of smaller screen sizes.

Promisingly, it seems there are several electronics giants currently working on the next generation of OLED screens, QLED. But then there were quite a few manufacturers working on OLED a few years ago.

A 40" screen is a complete waste of time for 4k unless you want to sit a few feet away.

OLED screens are expensive to make, so it seems reasonable of LG to make them in the larger sizes where more customers are willing to pay a premium. I only expect smaller sizes when they can be made at a cheaper price. I look forward to a smaller size that suits my space.

A 40" screen is a complete waste of time for 4k unless you want to sit a few feet away

I don't doubt you're correct but I want a 40" screen positioned about 3m away from the viewing position because that suits me and my room.

Personally, I'm not particularly fussed about 4k. It's not the pixel count that interests me (so long as there are enough!). I'd just like an OLED (or maybe QLED?) screen because, from what I've both read and seen so far, the picture quality is better than any LCD screen I've viewed (and I can't pretend I've viewed hundreds of LCD screens - just a few dozen).

I wonder if there will ever come a time where the pixel density is so high that the recommended screen size (for viewing distances typical of UK sitting rooms) won't physically fit in the room?

it seems reasonable of LG to make them in the larger sizes where more customers are willing to pay a premium

Absolutely. Whilst their entire output of OLED screens is being consumed, there is no reason for change - unfortunately for you, me and many others, it would seem.

I'm hoping that they do eventually produce a 50" OLED because I've backed myself into a corner regarding my TV (admittedly as I place projector viewing as more important in my set up). I've put my existing 50" LCD on an electric lift so that it drops down out of the way into a cabinet to reveal a fixed projector screen behind it, but if I go any larger in future then a 55" tv will be too tall.

Since I'm not bothered about going 5" bigger when I've got a 3 metre wide screen behind it I'd just like the option of going OLED at some point (doesn't even have to be 4K given the viewing distance). So fingers crossed a 50" (or 49") model comes along at some point.

i really doubt it. oled has been out many years now and nothing below 55inch. its probaly not worth it for LG to make them that small.

oleds are very expensive to make thats why the price is so high. maybe if LG can reduce the production costs significantly then we will see 50 inch and under oleds

I think (hope) it will happen when LG bring the cost of manufacture down sufficiently or they get some competion. 49" is the maximum I can go so i might have to crack and get a 49" UHD samsung to tide me as it wont happen anytime soon.

I've measured and remeasured and even stuck a bit of cardboard onto current tv to see if I can get a 55, I can, I'll be able to see all screen from where I sit but Mrs won't, but if she shuftys up the settee a bit she'll be fine.
I'm currently waiting a price drop on the c6 now

I'm sure we'll see smaller sizes one day. LG are supposed to be increasing OLED capacity by replacing its current LCD production lines with OLED lines in the next couple of years. That would suggest that OLED would be the majority of its offering which would surely mean we'd start seeing 32", 40", 42", 49", 60" etc. I'm hoping for 60" myself. Got a 55" now and don't think my room could take a 65".

I'm hoping for 60" myself. Got a 55" now and don't think my room could take a 65".

I'm in exactly the same position as you. Having waited patiently for the 4K/HDR standards to settle down, I'm starting to think about upgrading my Samsung UE55F8000 for a slightly bigger 4K OLED but worry 65" might be too big.
Come on LG, you make 60" LED TV's, let's see some 60" OLED TV's in your new 2017 range at CES in January.

Great question I was wondering this myself
As said in 2-3 years they'll probably kill of traditional LED
I cannot have any bigger then 50" in my living room and 42" in my bedroom. So hanging onto my trusty old Panasonic plasma's until then

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom