• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

do you think we will ever see XBMC on the 360 ?

er yes - because most of the functionality is already there is you have Media Center XP!

However I hope a 360 XBMC arrives so we can bypass the reliance on XBMC and get the "extra" functionality of playing AVI's etc without using transcoders etc!

the_ape

Standard Member
I doubt you will see XBMC (Media Centre, not media connect, as that is already in 360), why? well the extra security in the 360 has basically stopped the abilities the XBox had (i.e. complete access to the booted firmware).

The 'best' you could possibly hope for on the 360 is the ability to play backups, that (I personally believe) will be via modding the information that goes down the IDE bus, using a mod that sits in the middle of the DVD -> motherboard (just like the current PS2 stuff).

So for the time being (next couple of years at least) the 360 will not have the same functionality.

I could be wrong and someone could possibly find a hack that allows you to launch an XBox arcade 'game' that allows loading of external developer stuff, but I think MS have it bolted down pretty good.

cj

What I'd really like is the ability to play my DVD collection, currently sitting on my server. I bought 2x 360s thinking that I could retire my trusty XBMC machines, but alas they can't play any of my collection, or even access it as it sits on a Windows 2003 server :( I don't want to play 'backup' games, just the ability play one of my DVDs would be nice :)

ParmMann

At the moment the connectivity between the 360 and PC's is limited, and people aren't able to play/do everything they'd like to.
However, I think that Windows Vista will open a whole new set of features. It should have 360 written all over it...at least, thats what I hope. :smashin:

Try Windows media center 2005 in a VM - works a treat!

cj said:
What I'd really like is the ability to play my DVD collection, currently sitting on my server. I bought 2x 360s thinking that I could retire my trusty XBMC machines, but alas they can't play any of my collection, or even access it as it sits on a Windows 2003 server :( I don't want to play 'backup' games, just the ability play one of my DVDs would be nice :)

safekidda

Standard Member
noikz said:

He means XBOX MEDIA CENTRE, NOT Xbox Connect OR Windows media connect. Type XBMC into a google search, if you'd ever owned a chipped xbox1 you'd almost definately know about it. It was a new dashboard which did everything! Best piece of freewhere ever brought out. It's still used by many many people and it's still constantly updated and improved. I still use it because of the p*ss poor functionality of the media extender on the 360

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom