Do you think these will be a good compliment to my current setup?

scythefwd

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok. I'm running a yamaha rx-v375 reciever. 5.1, running in 3.0 (no sub.. dont really miss it right now)
Its not exactly the most powerful, but its nice and clean sounding.

I'm running some OLD klipsch synergy SF-1 towers up front.
SF - 1 Floorstanding Speaker | Klipsch

I'm also running a a similar age centerchannel also made by klipsch ksc-c1.
KSC - C1 | Klipsch

I just bought a set of Klipsch Reference R-15m bookshelf speakers for my rears.
R-15M Bookshelf Monitor Speaker | Klipsch

The frequenecy response looks like it matches up pretty well, as does the db rating.. what do you guys think as a start for my home stereo. its not gonna be loud, but I think I'm going to have good coverage for surround sound. Do yall think I'll be missing much (other than the lack of sub..) for good 5.1 surround movies? I'll be using yamaha's micophone and automated setup to get the sound stage approximately right..

I'd love to get a good 8" sub to round things out in the end.. What do you guys thing as a starter?

The ideal situation is to have the same make/model of speaker all around except for the sub. This should then give you the best surround sound effect since all speaker sound the same. Looking at the frequency response and dB (assume sensitivity value) gives you no indication of how a speaker 'sounds' and whether they are a good match or not. Your speakers are at least the same make if not the same model so should be a reasonable match and should give you a good starting point.
As for a sub I would look at the BK Electronics range and would suggest going for at least a 10" driver in order to get the impact that really brings a film to life.

I appreciate the input. I have put an ear to the reference bookshelves. Unfortunately I have to assume that an idiot was setting up the receiver they were hooked to or that receiver was tuned for a different set of speakers.

One of those push a button to hear type setups. The polks connected to it sounded fine, but the klipsch's were way off.. too much bass, too much mid range. There is no way on earth the speakers could sound so muddy and wear the klipsch name.. so I'm assuming its a case of garbage in, garbage out... That and the klipsch's were 1/2 the price of the polks so it very welll could have been very intentional to steer folks to the higher costing setup. The should arrive today. I'll have them installed by tonight (if I can get the cabling fished through the walls.., Lord help me on that one.. ) and I'll give em a test drive. I've found I dont really miss the thundering boom for movies, but I dont play my movies very loud either. No idea what db I'm running at.. but no where near reference. For the most part, its at the same level as I watch normal TV. I'll have to fire something up that was designed for 5.1 and see how they perform though..

Which would you suggest.
The lord of the rings
Star wars episode 1 (that pod racing scene .. oh yeah)
Transformers
The Avengers

??

Well, used the autosetup mike thingy. sounded ok, right rear was WAY too low.. I find I like it better having them all act like big speakers vs. small (no discrete subs). they sound great though.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom