Do you think the USB interface on the HDR is fast enough for HD content?

Grinnders

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been keen to get more HD content for a while but can't help thinking that with the way memory sticks are getting smaller and with greater capacity that soon spinning shiny discs maybe a thing of the past and solid state may provide a more reliable, portable and resilient media.

Therefore (and I realise there may be a format thing to do) could it be viable that in the near future Blu-ray quality HD films could be released (and protected) on USB sticks and then you could use the interface on the HDR to play them... for obvious copyright reasons not transfer them to disk, just real-time play. Now that would be one hell of a feature. No requirement for another box, or TV feed or AV receiver connection.

Is a USB2 interface fast enough to pass through the amount of data required for HD content ? Would the distributors be interested in the format ? Is this a viable strategy ?

Could it be just a firmware upgrade from Hummy and the film distributors to get onboard and it's Blu-ray players are R.I.P.

I've been keen to get more HD content for a while but can't help thinking that with the way memory sticks are getting smaller and with greater capacity that soon spinning shiny discs maybe a thing of the past and solid state may provide a more reliable, portable and resilient media.

Therefore (and I realise there may be a format thing to do) could it be viable that in the near future Blu-ray quality HD films could be released (and protected) on USB sticks and then you could use the interface on the HDR to play them... for obvious copyright reasons not transfer them to disk, just real-time play. Now that would be one hell of a feature. No requirement for another box, or TV feed or AV receiver connection.

Is a USB2 interface fast enough to pass through the amount of data required for HD content ? Would the distributors be interested in the format ? Is this a viable strategy ?

Could it be just a firmware upgrade from Hummy and the film distributors to get onboard and it's Blu-ray players are R.I.P.

USB2's ok but it was designed as cheap standard and has problems with sustained through put esp where there are several devices contending for access.

USB3 is due to come out soonish which is a lot faster

Seagate CEO is saying what you are saying (or is it the other way round?): Seagate CEO: Blu-ray won the battle but lost the war | CES 2008 - CNET Blogs

We've just concluded that the USB interface on the HDR (remember it can only perform at about 3.5MB/s when copying recordings) can cope with playing its own HD recordings: External USB drive problem - Freesat+ - Digital Spy Forums

But there's no way Freesat and Humax are going to allow playback back of foreign video format using the HDR via the USB interface... (Only iPlayer using the network connection, as this is part of the Freesat spec...)

USB2's ok but it was designed as cheap standard and has problems with sustained through put esp where there are several devices contending for access.

USB3 is due to come out soonish which is a lot faster

I doubt we'll be seeing any USB 3 compatible TV devices for over a year

USB2 is MORE than fast enough for compressed HD content - there are plenty of USB2 compatible DVB tuners that deliver HD content, and you can connect Blu-ray and HD-DVD drives to PC over USB2.

You might have issues with read speeds on some media - but the interface is fine. HD content at consumer quality runs at between 8-40Mbs. Copying files to my USB2 external hard drive last night I was getting >160Mbs speeds.

USB2 is MORE than fast enough for compressed HD content - there are plenty of USB2 compatible DVB tuners that deliver HD content, and you can connect Blu-ray and HD-DVD drives to PC over USB2.

You might have issues with read speeds on some media - but the interface is fine. HD content at consumer quality runs at between 8-40Mbs. Copying files to my USB2 external hard drive last night I was getting >160Mbs speeds.

well if you have a bunch on usb stuf connected they can get in the way of each other :-( then again i did have 2 musical keay boards 3 conroll surfaces plus all the other USB gubbins mice tvtunes ect :)

Well my vision is that you can rent from Blockbuster or Ilovefilm.com a USBstick (copyprotected of course) with all an HD content film on it and play it through the Humax-HDR USB port.... Am I off my rocker???

Well my vision is that you can rent from Blockbuster or Ilovefilm.com a USBstick (copyprotected of course) with all an HD content film on it and play it through the Humax-HDR USB port.... Am I off my rocker???

As I say, this won't happen. What's more likely is this 'rent' stuff will come down the wire (broadband/net), in the same vein as iPlayer and Apple TV. But this won't happen any time soon. (For one thing, the iPlayer facilities have yet to be implemented and matured.)

I think if your idea was to work, it would appear on a more dedicated media device first (like the Apple TV or the KiSS media players: Linksys® by Cisco » Home » UK)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom