1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you think the quality of DVD's have improved in the last 7 years?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Family Guy, Aug 8, 2004.

1. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I ask because last night, I watched one of the first DVD's I ever brought - Batman Forever. I must have had this disc since I've been collecting DVD's - some 6 years now.
    The picture quality struck me as really poor...and the sound didn't really grip me either. I remember when this disc came out it was used as the benchmark for all DVD reviews. The sound in particular, back then, was amazing. However, looking at the disc again, there's a LOT of print damage and grain...the colours are bright, but there's not a lot of detail in the shadows...and the bit rate is normally up there at 8mbps!!
    Looking at one of the later discs I brought - Secondhand Lions - is like chalk & cheese. There's next to zero print damage and plenty of detail in dark scenes, while the coulours remain vibrant and clean. there's also very little evidence of edge enhancement (though it was viewed via a 42" plasma - not a projector)...
    I'm pretty sure, looking at it now, the Batman Forever disc is a direct copy of the laserdisc, which again was a benchmark back in the days when Dolby Digital wasn't illegal..( :clown: )...
    Of course, extra's have come on leaps and bounds. The extra's on the Batman disc amount to nothing more than a few pages of writing. Most of the extra's I see today aren't worth an extra disc and amount to nothing more than the director and actors telling the audience how good each other all are...but there are the exceptions. LOTR & Indy sets spring to mind, and hopefully the Star Wars set will be up there as well...personally, I don't give a monkeys who shot first...I just love 'em for what they are.
    I post this thread because it's actually 6 years to the day since I got my first DVD player...a Toshiba that was a R1 only machine and couldn't decode a dts track...those were the days... :devil: Cost me nearly £600 but is still going strong today upstairs in the bedroom.
    What's your views on the evolvement of DVD since it's launch...? Defo better IMO...but already there are better things available to people in other countries - DVHS - I've seen it running, and set up correctly, it does make DVD look like VHS - and of course blu ray is just around the corner.
    Is 7 years to short a time for a format to last? For Joe Normal, thing's will be fine for years to come...but for us av nutters, who simply MUST have the best around, is there an expensive time just around the corner...?

2. krusty

krusty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    dont know bout the quality of discs army bloke...but the build of dvd players has certainly got worse........turning more to horrible plastic and cheap components.

3. dvdmike

dvdmike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    now i have a ref monitor i think dvd's look like **** even the best superbit or fox sepcial eds

4. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    alldepends what dvd player you buy though...

I think the quality is as good as you will get.. but now ppl are getting high end displays capable of hi-def resolutions then dvd's are beginning to show their limitations..(but for me with a 32" crt its not yet a problem.. they all look good :) )

Matt

5. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    Build quality may well have fallen, (not that I've noticed), but I think the drop in prices is significant compensation. You can pick up Toshiba's 330 for £40!

6. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,741
    I don't agree with this at all; simply, the market has diversified to cater for EVERY type of punter out there. When DVD players first came out, I bought a first generation Pioneer player for £450 - the build quality wasn't amazing (it wasn't bad either though), and whilst newer and lower end machines nowadays won't be as good in terms of build quality, they trounce the old pioneer is every department on the image front.

7. dvdmike

dvdmike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    the thing i most hate.
    i loved being the only guy i knew with laser's and the new movies 1st now every man and dog has a telesync or an import dvd
    dvd didnt help home cinema it turned it into a kinda special olympics

8. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    Don;t worry you'll have Blu Ray to start the whole process again :)

9. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,741
    The thing I most love. Whilst I agree that it's "nice" to be the only person your friends know with a kick arse sound system and a format like laserdisc to wow people with (as it used to be with me), I wholeheartedly DON'T miss paying through the teeth for software (£35 per laserdisc!), and I believe the whole AV thing has developed for the good.

But as Matt says too...Bluray will be your next niche:)

10. dvdmike

dvdmike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    i have dvhs for that :) now thats av
    have a blu ray recorder on order too

11. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    I just hope blu ray has less or better compression. Ever since ive had my DVD player (pioneer 737) its sounded as though its faulty. DVD for me was a step forward for picture and a step backwards for sound.

Most LaserDisc's just had something that would make your hairs stand on end when the sound came from your speakers. DVD just doesn't cut it.

12. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,741
    Can't say I've ever really noticed it, personally I think that's psychology as much as anything else.

13. west

west

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've only been collecting DVDs for a couple of years and I think it's come on in leaps and bounds. My DVDs that were released many years ago are usually bog-standard affairs with one trailer and unimpressive sound. While newer releases come with tons of extras, animated menus and even Dolby Digital only DVDs sound pretty good. Even TV DVDs have come on some with 5.1 tracks instead of stereo.

I have no intention of replacing all of my DVDs with any new technology that is just around the corner. I'm happy with DVDs and because every man And his Dog has them the prices become more and more competitive. If you want to spend a fortune to be the envy of your friends I say good for you but like laser discs you could end up spending a fortune on a technology that doesn't catch on.

14. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think Blu-Ray will be launched in the UK next year but its supposed to be launched in America then ( its already out in Japan ) Sonys failure to buy the MGM studio and its large catalogue of titles might work against it and Warners who now look favourite to buy MGM might support the rival "official" HD-DVD format which will be competing with Blu-Ray.

I checked a disc from around 6 years back Face/Off from Paramount and to be honest it still looks detailed and sounds great ( 1 small pixellisation problem on the boat near the end ) on the other hand Dragonheart DTS Fullbitrate which i think is from around 1998 or 1999 tends to look a lil grainy and doesnt look as good as i remember, at the time people raved about its picture and sound quality ( sound is still great )

I think the people who master the discs now do a better job of it and the compression has moved on leaps and bounds, the only problem people tend to see nowadays is edge enhancement, most movies do look great on DVD but people with higher end equipment always want the next best thing and i would imagine there are several people on these forums who have D-VHS and will import Blu-Ray next year.

They have already announced Dolby will be used on Blu-Ray ( likely to see a bitrate of 640kb/s become standard for Dolby on the new discs but with the option for even higher bitrates ) but i hope a second lossless format such as MLP or the new DTS lossless codec is chosen, lossless would be preferable to a lossy format even though it will eat up disc space.

15. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,984
    Warner are backing HD-DVD and if the MGM catalogue is bought by them, then HD-DVD will be the next format, discs and hardware are due Q4 this year in the states. I don't see Blue ray catching on.

16. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    Agreed. MPEG2 compression is considerably better than it was five years ago (hardly a surprise)! The biggest difference IMHO is in the 'low budget titles' on which, in the early days, you could see some horrific compression. The BBC's Persuasion stands as an example of utterly dire digital encoding even from reasonable quality source material! Things are much better these days but, apparently, MPEG2 can still be pushed further...

IMHO the only thing that hasn't improve with DVD-Video over the years is the menus. Yes obviously they have become fully animated, have sound and video and are really rather clever. But when I insert a DVD all I want to do is watch the programme - not wait a couple of minutes while I watch a fancy menu before I'm allowed to play anything. :lesson:

Agree with you 100% on that Foxy - although does eating up disk space matter too much on a 50GB dual layer BluRay disk or even a 30GB dual layer HD-DVD?

I think you could have a point there THX: BluRay does have it's drawbacks - more expensive production and it requires a caddy or special coating (and whether this will make the disk sufficiently robust remains to be seen). In BluRay's favour though it has considerable support behind it - but whether this is the 'right' support remains to be seen. Certainly though it will be the movie studios that decide which format wins the 'format war'!

17. sjp1966

sjp1966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi Army, i have been collecting DVDs for about 2/2.5 years now, so ive not been in as long as you :) i would image that overall PQ and SQ would have inproved since your first started to get into it, technology evolves very quickly, just look at computers, in 6/12 months there are bigger, better, faster machines, but not only has the technology improved, but also your own experience, you may look out for things now that you didnt then, and so what you classed as the bees nees back then, maybe mediocre now

personally i although i welcome advances in technology it pi :censored: es me off that it all happens quickly, as i just cannot afford to keep up, i will stick with DVD, as i have just shelled out a load of cash on new equipment, and i have loads of disks, i just hope they dont kill it off like normal VHS

18. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    The quality of DVDs has come on leaps and bounds. This has happened in both picture and sound quality. I bought my first DVD player in 1998, it was a first generation Panasonic A350 and as Army bloke has said if I look at some of the first discs I purchased ( I think there were a total of about fifteen R2 discs available at the time!) both the PQ and SQ are poor compared to releases in the last three years. A lot of the discs back then were in Dolby stereo or Dolby surround and a lot of discs were flippers! You were lucky to get Dolby 5.1. I dont think blu ray or HD DVD will catch on any time soon, you just have to look at the pitifull performance of DVDA and SACD. If you look back at the history of formats, its only the ones that have provided a giant leap in either performance or convenience that have succeeded. Examples of which are CD over the compact cassette or DVD over the VHS cassette. It has to be a massive leap in order for joe public to want buy it. I think at best Blu ray and HD DVD will remain niche products for AV inthusiasts like LD was. :thumbsup:

19. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    Perhaps initially. But as Plasmas and LCDs get cheaper more people can 'see' the defects in DVD and then will want a new medium without those defects - which is one of the reasons why DVD took off. Additionally as people 'see' the improvement in PQ on Sky HD then they will want pre-recorded content to match that.

Both BluRay and HD-DVD will filter into your homes whether or not you want it to: they will be added to DVD recorders where initially they will provide greater capacity as well as playback of high def media. And your next DVD player may well have BluRay/HD-DVD playback as standard (we can expect the first such models that do this relatively soon).

There won't be the almost instant switch we saw with DVD but there will be a steady movement towards High Def material as we have seen elsewhere. The clearest example of a desire for high quality goods in the UK is Superbit titles - they are selling presumably to the same people who will buy HD-DVD/BluRay.

Your DVD collections aren't going to 'die' because of the arrival of BluRay/HD-DVD either - much material released on DVD (old TV series, old films etc) won't benefit significantly from a High Def makeover anyway. It will just be major films and new series. So you will still have your DVD collection - you will just have a High Def element within it.

20. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
  21. sjp1966

sjp1966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    All i really meant was that technology forges ahead all the time, equipment becomes out dated very quickly and i am the sort of person that like to have the very best i can afford. and so it is expensives to keep up.

As with regards HD, I dont relaly know much about it, i cannot afford the equipment, and so it wont beneft me. I am with NTTL rather than SKY and i dont know what NTLs plans are with regards HD

22. mr_fantazmo

mr_fantazmo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just a question that i have been asking myself, these new formats that are about to descend on us, will they be backwards compatible with dvd? Surely that's the way manufacturers should be going so that you don't have to re-buy your collection again!! I've seen laserdisc/dvd players on the market and if i had a big collection of laserdiscs then i would have definately bought one of them instead of just a standard DVD player!

It's worth thinking about!!

23. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    Both BluRay and HD-DVD recorders/players are fully backwards compatible with DVD and CD. At the moment, on models like the Panasonic E700, backwards compatibility is achieved by twin lasers. But soon tri-wavelength lasers will be available which will form the basis of future players/recorders.

24. zantarous

zantarous

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I really hope Blu-ray falls flat on its face, not because I have anything against Sony, but simply the public do not need a format war to help confuse them. However the ace up Sony’s sleeve will be the fact that PS3 will most likely use Blu-ray.

As with regards to with DVD getting better, my first player was a PS2 using a 20” TV and I still marvelled at Gladiator and Star Trek Generations, fast forward almost four years latter and Gladiator still looks as good as the best of them, however there loads if DVD’s that are better just simply as they have gone from 2.0 to 5.1 or letterbox to anamorphic.

I have to agree with one of the above posters as nice as some of these menus are once you have seen them a few times you really do not want to watch them again and to many distributors disable the ability to go straight to the main menu.

25. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    To be fair BluRay has the potential for quad-layered disks - that is a capacity of upto 100GB and so is quite futureproof. And as video compression codecs get better and better I doubt BR capacity will be a problem for a decade. On the other hand HD-DVD has a maximum capacity of 30GB: will that be enough? Guess time will tell.

And with Microsoft supporting HD-DVD could mean that format gets the support on XBox and Nintendo (which MS are looking to buy).

26. loadsofleads

loadsofleads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In technical terms Blu-Ray blows HD-DVD out of the water. It has 54gb disc space on a dual layer disc compared to HD-DVD's 30gb, but more importantly, the technology has the ability to have many more than just two layers in the future. Imagine a ten layer Blu-Ray with a capacity of 250gb :eek:
    HD-DVD are limited to 2 layers just like DVD today. I must admit I am an incurable videophile, any grain, scratches or specks on a movie drive me to despair, especially on new movies.
    A 1920/1080i rear projection DLP with Quad layer Blu-Ray pumping out a HD version of Lord of the Rings with a lossles DTS soundtrack, NURSE :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

27. dvdmike

dvdmike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    got my blu-ray recorder today dumping t3 on to it by firewire now will let everyone know

28. zantarous

zantarous

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    They may be looking to buy Nintendo but that is very far from Nintendo actually wanting to sell and why should they, they maybe third in the console race but the have the handheld market to themselves. Plus they are a Japanese company with over one hundred years of experience in doing business and are a national treasure; to sell to an American organisation would be very unthinkable.

As for HD-DVD being built into Xbox yes that is defiantly an advantage for the HD camp however I do believe that Sony has such a strangle hold on the console world that Playstation is synonymous with video gaming. While it is impossible to predict these things and seeing at how vastly inferior PS2 is to Xbox and undoubtedly the same thing will happen with PS3 launching before Xbox 2 I believe that blu-ray will come in through the back door as it were.

Is Sony the only movie studio behind blu-ray? And now that someone has reminded me that a windows codac is going to be used on HD-DVD I am not so sure this format should survive especially if it will be an on-line device (image how difficult it could be to make players multi region if each film has to get a key to play).

29. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    The Windows Media Video codec may well be added to BluRay - the 'new' codecs for that format haven't been announced yet.

Yes - at the moment.

30. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here you will find interesting news about Blu-Ray, gotta say it excites me more than the official HD-DVD camps product.

http://www.blu-ray.com/