Do you think the ps3 will be more popular at launch than the 360?

Robbie Razzler

Established Member
Reaction score
With the xbox 360 having such huge demand last xmas, does anyone think the ps3 will prove even more popular this xmas making it even harder to get hold of than the 360?

I don't realy care. As long as you can see the value, and there's enough people to keep the format alive, why would it matter?

:lesson:

I understand that some people feel like they have to go with the majority, but seriously- sometimes being in the minority is still cool.

edit: but yes I'd imagine it will be hard to get hold of one.

Robbie Razzler said:
With the xbox 360 having such huge demand last xmas, does anyone think the ps3 will prove even more popular this xmas making it even harder to get hold of than the 360?

They will probably sell out of them, if that is what you are asking.

[They may do central pre-orders as they did with the PS2, allowing only 1 per household etc]

Sony have indicated that their supply chain should be more robust than MS (though of course they would say that), so we may not see the supply constraints we saw with the 360 (e.g. beyond Xmas shortages).

in short yes

Without a doubt.

Unlikely to find out

As far as I know the only figures release were units sold (all of them), not how many people wanted one

One thing is certain Sony will sell as many as they can manufacture

Maybe another benchmark of how popular the machine is could be, the average selling price on ebay

it may prove harder to get hold of one, but that doesnt really show anything other than a sony not providing the numbers of consoles.
i dont think its got a cat in hells chance of doing more popular than the 360 at launch, as the ps3 will have to contend with the wii and a cheaper 360 anyways.
when the 360 was released it was the only next gen console available, thats what made it seem popular. the ps3 is going to have a really tough time of it i think. it might do well but it wont dominate the market at all imo.

There's so many fanboys out there that Sony could just respray a box of cornflakes and it'd probably still outsell the Xbox 360. :devil:

It will be more successful globally of course because the launch consoles will sell out in all territories but those are early adopter sales.

It's the mass market down the line sales that count.

Mandark said:
It will be more successful globally of course because the launch consoles will sell out in all territories but those are early adopter sales.
But how does that make it more successful? The 360 sold out as far as I remember... I'm sure the Wii will sell out also. The first 6 months proves nothing, as has been shown historically. Didn't the Dreamcast sell really well at launch?

Mandark said:
It's the mass market down the line sales that count.
Absolutely. The big difference here is Japan, no-one will touch the PS3 there obviously. But in the US/Europe (which are both bigger markets anyway) ther is a very different story to tell, and I feel the balance will be far more even this time round, which is a good thing for us game lovers! :smashin:

Fully agree, i expect Nintendo to regain their percentage somewhat though.

Munkey Boy said:
The big difference here is Japan, no-one will touch the PS3 there obviously.

Why is that (sorry for being behind)?

The PS3 will do well, Technogeeks always want the latest, like has been mentioned it is sustainability of a product.
Can it out last the others? That will be the real test.

Tom Tom said:
Why is that (sorry for being behind)?
Sony have a massive hold in Japan, as do Nintendo. There's very little chance that the PS3 won't dominate as Sony meet the needs of the Japanese market so well, whereas MS don't at all. MS haven't got near to hitting that critical mass in Japan where there's a large enough customer base for developers to push out loads of Japanese-centric titles - it's a catch 22 situation. Sony on the other hand have established relationships with these developers and so titles will be that much easier to push out.

I think he's confused because your post said/suggested that 'no-one will touch the PS3 there obviously.' when talking about Japan. I assume you meant to say 360.

Ratinho said:
I think he's confused because your post said/suggested that 'no-one will touch the PS3 there obviously.' when talking about Japan. I assume you meant to say 360.
Ah, I see what's happened then, bad wording on my side. I meant no-one will touch the PS3 sales in Japan, not no-one will touch it! :rotfl: Ooops!

Xbox 360 sold out at launch, PS3 will sell out at launch. It doesn't take a genius to work that one out. Which does that make the most successful? I'll tell you in 5 years time.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom