Do you think the PS3 will be good enough for the next 10 years???

Do you think the PS3 will keep you happy for 10 years???

• Yes - The machine will keep me happy for the next 10 years...

Votes: 23 19.7%
  • Only as a Blu-Ray player... but not for games

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • Definitely not - The machine is simply not fast enough

Votes: 51 43.6%

• Total voters

Master Yoda

Established Member
Reaction score
I recently read that Sony have a planned life cycle for the PS3 of 10 years... :eek:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7387628.stm

(I believe Microsoft has a similar expected life cycle for the X360)

Is it just me, or does this sound insanely optimistic... I already feel like the machine is underpowered and we all know it severely lacks memory - I can't imagine that people will be happy with the gaming speeds/capabilities of these consoles for the next 10 years??? :eek:

Playing games like GTA4 which although really cool has already revealed some dire framerates with graphics that aren't that great - it has made me think that the machine isn't really THAT fast... I appreciate that some people will say this game was developed for the X360 and transferred over to the PS3, but still - I would be shocked if there wasn't a faster console within 10 years time...

I think the machine will be used as a Blu-Ray player easily for 10 years+, but as the main 'games console' on the market???

Although I like the PS3, I don't think the machine deserves to be the main console for the next 10 years... What do you guys think?? I guess it boils down to whether any competitors will launch a machine during that time... I guess if MS and Sony both aren't planning to release anything new during that time we won't have much choice...

They'll release a new ps3 before the ten years, they will just keep supporting the ps3 in the same way they support the ps2.

They don't kill their consoles the way ms killed off the xbox.

Wasn't the ten yearlife cycle announced in 2005? Meaning that they're looking at it to extend into 2015?

Even at that I think it's pushing it - I can see this generation peaking in the next two years and the new machines being announced around 2010.

New era's point is spot on though - they had a similar cycle for the ps2 and guess what, eight years in and it's still going strong!

I heard about that from the Playstation Day commentary and it struck me as reassuring because I'm tired of having to spend £300 every few years just to have the latest in technology. I'm a stooge like that.

I think the possibility of it remaining as the status quo of console gaming is quite apparent. It can be updated constantly and I think there's a consensus that none of the games has squeezed everything it can from the console. Developers will require a couple more years to really juice the PS3 for all that it's worth. I think 10 years may be a little optimistic simply because no-one can say what form gaming will have taken on in ten years. Will we be playing virtual reality games with headsets? Just think back to what impressed us back in 1998 games-wise and where we are today.

Depending on just how flexible the PS3 is in terms of being able to be firmware/software upgraded, I imagine we could be playing with these for near-enough a decade, yes.

I read a similar story earlier today and almost posted about it. 10 year lifecycle..:rolleyes:

I was sceptical but:

Playstation was released in 1995.

Playstaion 2 in 2000

Playstation 3 in 2006/7

I don't think 10 years is an absurdly long lifecycle they've estimated but I would imagine there will be pressure from competition after 6 or so years. What does everyone else think?
Just read Astraeus post - i agree maybe a bit longer with firmware upgrades n all.

Blu-ray players will be £30 in a few years from Asda etc.
Dont think the ps3 will cut the mustart with next gen stand alone players.
Would anbody buy a ps2 solely for dvd today, like they are for ps3/bluray? as soon as bluray players are around for £100 ps3 will have to stand on its own feet as solely a games machine in my view?

Would anbody buy a ps2 solely for dvd today, like they are for ps3/bluray? as soon as bluray players are around for £100 ps3 will have to stand on its own feet as solely a games machine in my view?

The appeal of the ps2 was that it was a dvd/games machine. Even when dvd players went sub £100 people were still buying them for both features.

People aren't just buying ps3's becuase of those abilities though, with a large hard-drive it's a fantastic media centre. Mine condenses three bits of kit into one.

Whilst your absolutely right, your thinking pretty one dimensionaly. When these BD players are £30 in Asda do you really think PS3's will still be £300? Not at all, who knows what they will be priced at but I'd say looking at the PS2 now as a template for the PS3 then would be a pretty close.

To think that in it's tenth year the PS3 will be Sony's flagship console is a little naive, the PS3 will be like the PS2 now and there will be another monster stealing from out bank accounts in the PS4 guise in which case there needs to be another option in the Poll. But for a hell of a lot of ppl I'd bet they would be very happy with it still, just like PS2 sales are showing us now.

with 6 and 12 core processors on the way dont think ps3 will last longer then 5 years. technology is just progressing too fast :smashin:

It's a good piece of kit, and it may have support for 10 years but there will be another within 6-8 years m'thinks. Rumours are already rife about a 360 sequel that is expected to be here by 2011/2012, still 4 years off but that will give the life cycle of a 360 7 years which seems to be roughly the norm. I think we would then see a PS4 about 12-18 months later :) so 2013/2014 at the very latest I think.

Completely speculative of course :cool:

with 6 and 12 core processors on the way dont think ps3 will last longer then 5 years. technology is just progressing too fast :smashin:

You could have said similar for the ps2.

You could have said similar for the ps2.
what i mean is ps3 will still be supported but there will most probably be new sony console within next 5 years

I think people get a wee confused with the term life-cycle. It does'nt mean it's going to be the top of the range in 10 years, it means it will still be supported and manufactured, just as the PS2 still is 9 years on.

It could never last that long as top of the range. Can you imagine where Nvidia will be with graphics cards for PC's by then!

In the article, Sony have said they are looking (kinda blue sky thinking) at virtual consoles - all based online.

The UK broadband has a loooong way to go before we can expect any sort of relaible service for them to deliver that sort of thing.

There are already rumours of a PS3 slim model, so i would say a 'PS4' model can't be far off.

Must be joking, it's struggling enough already.

The next Xbox will be announced in late 2009 or early 2010 and most likely be an Autumn launch in 2011 or 2012.

Ten years.... rediculous. lol

You get on average a five year cycle with consoles simply to adjust to technological progression.

Must be joking, it's struggling enough already.

The next Xbox will be announced in late 2009 or early 2010 and most likely be an Autumn launch in 2011 or 2012.

Ten years.... rediculous. lol

You get on average a five year cycle with consoles simply to adjust to technological progression.

The ps2 is three years over your prediction and still going strong.

Sony will support the PS3 for 10+ years but let's face it, it will be a "last gen" console well before 2016. lol

Absolutely. The op's question was 'will the ps3 be good enough in ten years time', and I think it will be selling similar figures in both hardware and software to what the ps2 is currently.

this thread is making me laugh now........wait let me get out my crystal ball

crystal_ball.jpg

If they could make some decent future hardware addons/upgrades for the PS3, then that might change things slightly. It's a shame you can't upgrade it like a PC. I just don't see how they can significantly upgrade the PS3's capabilities apart from the HDD, but I'm sure they thought about this when designing it, so it wouldn't surprise me if that's something they do down the road. I'm sure it would be easier, cheaper and less risky for Sony to somehow produce a hardware upgrade that slots into the machine when the time comes (say with extra processors/memory in it) rather than getting everyone to buy a completely new console...

...Saying that though, the machine is pretty big and heavy already... I'd have to invest in a whole new shelf if they did that... and the "is your fan louder than mine" threads in this forum would probably need their own servers... :D

Stereoscopic is the future, would be very surprised if the next gen consoles didnt incorporate this technology. Essentially 3D games.........whether we would need a pair of nerdy glasses or a new type of TV/projector im unsure !?!

If they could make some decent future hardware addons/upgrades for the PS3, then that might change things slightly. It's a shame you can't upgrade it like a PC. I just don't see how they can significantly upgrade the PS3's capabilities apart from the HDD, but I'm sure they thought about this when designing it, so it wouldn't surprise me if that's something they do down the road. I'm sure it would be easier, cheaper and less risky for Sony to somehow produce a hardware upgrade that slots into the machine when the time comes (say with extra processors/memory in it) rather than getting everyone to buy a completely new console...

...Saying that though, the machine is pretty big and heavy already... I'd have to invest in a whole new shelf if they did that... and the "is your fan louder than mine" threads in this forum would probably need their own servers... :D

The firmware updates may extend the life of the PS3 (and 360 for that matter) a bit, but can`t see them releasing too many hardware add-ons, they never sell- look at megadrive megacd, n64 disk drive etc - the list goes on. A bigger HD/ TV tuner etc are all likely, but wouldn`t see them releasing anything that changes the game playing ability of the console, you can`t have a 2 tier system with consoles (or at least nobody has tried it) so what would happen to people without the upgrade.
There`s much more money in Sony selling us a PS4 in a few years anyway, rather than still having to spend on the R&D but then packaging it as a PS3 add-on and not being able to charge as much as a new console.
Crystal ball is saying new XBox 2010-11, new PS 2011-12, support for PS3 (a la PS2) 2015.

The ps2 is three years over your prediction and still going strong.

Not so sure about it going strong, it's just an after thought and memory now. Has been for sometime infact.

I suppose I meant it won't be considered a gamer enthusiast item by then.

In 10years time we will all be jacking into gaming consoles "the matrix" style!!!!!!!
Game will be installing your ports, and you can buy pre-owned! LOL

but seriously, i dont think i will have a ps3 in 10years time!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom