Do you think its worth part ex-ing my 2003 E46 320D sport 142K

easyrider

Been thinking...I need a car to pick my daughter up from Manchester every other weekend. A round trip of 540 miles. So 1080 miles per month. The rest of the time the car is sat idle as I ride my motorbike to work. I may use the car the odd time if the weather is really icy but that's about it. My car usage has reduced since getting my motorbike.

I'm starting to think with Tax and insurance cost's and service costs and maintenance cost's I have a lot of money just sat there slowly rotting on the drive.

Thoughts?

https://picasaweb.google.com/116278586586264744875/BMW#slideshow/5941680010416091666

NorvernRob

Distinguished Member
Would it be possible for her to use the train or coach instead? 1000 miles per month for a single purpose is a lot to put on a car, I would keep what you have.

Buying another car may save you money in running costs, but unless you buy something cheap it will take you a long time to recoup the purchase cost, if ever.

markymark34

buying a car for 2 trips a month regardless of the distance doesnt make great financial sense.
your bm has seen better days, how does it run? how long is the MOT? I would be tempted to just run it until it dies.

mjn

Distinguished Member
Yep, that 320D isn't going to be worth much, as above, i'd just run it until it dies.

easyrider

buying a car for 2 trips a month regardless of the distance doesnt make great financial sense.
your bm has seen better days, how does it run? how long is the MOT? I would be tempted to just run it until it dies.

It has 8 months MOT left and it passed with nowt wrong with it. Its a great runner it just looks scabby as I live by the sea. I have decided I'm keeping it. I spoke with the indy...He said throw 1000 at it...Inpsection 2 is looming. I have just bought 4 new tyres and I am getting the tracking done. I'm getting the wings replaced and the rear arches looked at. And I'm getting an Acid dip on the alloys.

I'm going to throw 1200 at it. And keep it and start saving for a used F30 in a few years time.

Its interior is Plush black leather and is great nick. It still drives well with nice power...I drove my dads yaris....It may have 142k on the clock but its still tight.

The indy said what kind of car could you get for 1200? I see his logic. It has a full service history with said garage so better the devil you know.

The Indy joked....I have another 100K in her yet...He had recently serviced a 320D at 245k lol

Last edited:

RBZ5416

Distinguished Member
I thought my 2000 E46 was bad... :eek:

I certainly wouldn't be throwing £1200 at it (yours or mine). There may well be another 100k in the engine & maybe the gearbox but I have severe reservation on the rest of it, especially electrics/electronics. He's right, you can't buy much for the £1,200 but neither can you be reasonably confident that a car of that age isn't going to hit you with another £1k for a repair soon after - & then another.

My 320i has around 125k & is due an MOT next week. It should have had an Inspection II a couple of months ago but I'm waiting to see what the MOT throws up before throwing money at that. Add in a couple of tyres, brake & cooling fluid change & even at indie prices it soon mounts up. If you look at the schedule for an Inspection II it's mostly fluff. Inspect this, check that with any actual work required being additional expense.

If you still want to tart it up then I've read pre-sprayed replacement front wings can be had from Ebay for around £250 a pair. And I'd also check Ebay for a replacement set of alloys rather than spending money on yours. I picked a full set up a few years back with OK tyres for £100. At least then you'll have some spares for when you clout a pot hole or two!

But having said all that, it would make no sense to buy a replacement. So yes, just run it into the ground.

IronGiant

Run it into the ground until the rust fails an MOT. IMHO.

easyrider

Bought a new wing off ebay for 16 quid....Looking to source another...Got a quote for spraying them and sorting the rear arches out at £450...

Its just had the tracking done at the BMW indy and 4 new tyres....Its driving better than ever.

:)

markymark34

Bought a new wing off ebay for 16 quid....Looking to source another...Got a quote for spraying them and sorting the rear arches out at £450...

Its just had the tracking done at the BMW indy and 4 new tyres....Its driving better than ever.

:)
how much was the tracking?

Run it into the ground by all means, but invest a further £1,200 in it no way...Heck that would pay for car hire for at least 60 trips not taking into account the cost of insurance, tax, maintenance...so probably even more trips....Id run it into the ground, keep it clean though and not let it rot...then go for a hire car...

The latest video from AVForums

The Best Movies and TV Shows Coming to Netflix in November 2020: Tom's Thumbs.
Top Bottom