Do you talk to people?...

Chadford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
...and by that I mean random people in a queue, that sort of thing.

My mother was Irish-Canadian and used to embarrass me like hell when I was young with chatting with everyone around her in any situation. For my sins I think I've inherited a tad of her blarney.

I was chatting up an old dear in Sainsbury's a couple hours ago, she was buying a lottery ticket and I was attempting to persuade her to take on me on a romantic weekend trip to Venice if she won.

Inappropriate, I don't know?

:)

I don't really...I wish I had the patter just to chat to random people... tho, I do have my moments (when suitably pissed) :)

I tend to talk to people around me especially if I'm in a queue, if only to relax all the white people. You can sense the tension when they see a a brown skinned man with a rucksack on his back join them.

I'm awful at small talk. If someone asks me "how are you" I invariably tell them.

I love the fact that now that I'm older, I don't give a stuff what people think.
If you take women in clubs/pubs as an example, one of them giving me a sneer as I attempted to talk to them aged 25 would have had me deflated.
At 47, I laugh and move onto the next one.
It's a good job I'm ugly, I'd die of cock rot, I tell you.

If someone asks me "how are you" I invariably tell them.
One of the best thing about being british is people people normally answer 'OK' to that question. I was sitting in A&E once and the paramedics brought this chap in, with a loose bandage on his head, covered in blood. They sat him down next to me and told him to wait a second and went off. I noticed blood dripping down the side of his face, onto the floor at his feet. I turned to him and said 'Are you OK?' to which he replied 'Yeah, mate'.

Nope, talking to my family is bad enough, last thing I want is to communicate with strangers.

It is pretty rubbish in the UK. Everyone is too up tight and reserved so conversations are always full of pointless banalities. Contrast to the US where talking to a stranger will usually get you some juicy personal revelations as our colonial cousins seem not to have that barrier and love to over share.

well, it's the british way to talk about the weather... :)

One of the best thing about being british is people people normally answer 'OK' to that question. I was sitting in A&E once and the paramedics brought this chap in, with a loose bandage on his head, covered in blood. They sat him down next to me and told him to wait a second and went off. I noticed blood dripping down the side of his face, onto the floor at his feet. I turned to him and said 'Are you OK?' to which he replied 'Yeah, mate'.

he was probably feeling guilty about making a mess ;)

I do, and I see no harm in it, a lot of people are far too self centered in my opinion...

Yeah, I'll talk to anyone and it does my wife's head in mainly because of her rush rush life.

I used to have random conversations with strangers whilst living up north. Never when I was down south or now in the Midlands. Trying to strike up a conversation or even just saying "Hello" is usually greeted with a look of "What's your problem"

I used to have random conversations with strangers whilst living up north. Never when I was down south or now in the Midlands. Trying to strike up a conversation or even just saying "Hello" is usually greeted with a look of "What's your problem"

That reminds me. I am a northerner but have lived may years in the south. In the north it was no problem to speak to strangers, say in a bar. But if I tried the same thing in the south they make me feel like I was gay or something. The loneliest place I ever lived was Bedford. Unless you grew up with them they do not want to know.

That reminds me. I am a northerner but have lived may years in the south. In the north it was no problem to speak to strangers, say in a bar. But if I tried the same thing in the south they make me feel like I was gay or something. The loneliest place I ever lived was Bedford. Unless you grew up with them they do not want to know.

i live in the east midlands. so a northern monkey and a southern softie... ;)

anyway, yeah, around here people just talk to each other. i have only had 1 conversation with a random londoner and it just ended up him moaning about the amount of 'blacks' around :(

Everyone talks to everyone where I live prob because they all know each other.
The busses in England are really uncomfortable as everyone is avoiding eye contact at all costs incase someone dares speak.

Ah, now, I wouldn't talk to a stranger on a bus.
That location instantly turns you from a normal, friendly person into 'some dick on the bus'.

It depends on what they talk about to be honest, i am not good at small talk, but if someone involves me in chat i will join in. But if i am in a random group of people i vaguely know i am different and more likely to pull random people into conversations, it is the perils of being an extravert and i have the tendency to be a performer also, i fair better in conversations with a lot of people than i do with 1-2-1 conversations.

I love the fact that now that I'm older, I don't give a stuff what people think.
If you take women in clubs/pubs as an example, one of them giving me a sneer as I attempted to talk to them aged 25 would have had me deflated.
At 47, I laugh and move onto the next one.
It's a good job I'm ugly, I'd die of cock rot, I tell you.

I'm hoping these are nights the wife's left at home lol

But if I tried the same thing in the south they make me feel like I was gay or something.
I daren't ask what they're doing to you to make you feel gay!

I'll chat to folks that aren't pug ugly or smelly or fat. Or stuck up looking. Or folks that come too close and want to be right up at your nose during a conversation.

Yeah, I chat to people all the time. You have no option round here, they're a friendly bunch. I love it.

Was speaking to a farmer who'd let a hitch-hiker camp on his land in exchange for helping him with forking hay. When they'd finished he gave him a big jug of home-made Cider, and told him to come in for some supper once he'd finished setting up his tent. When the guy never turned up, he went out to see what was wrong. The bloke had got so pissed on the super-strength home-made Cider that he'd been unable to pitch his tent and had instead just tried to crawl into it while it was flat on the ground, passing out in the process. His legs were sticking out the end and the poor sod didn't have a clue where he was.

well, it's the british way to talk about the weather... :)
When we first moved here the first 18 months it seemed to be always raining. Two streets from where I live is a house on a corner plot and the garden is immaculate and I often walk past it. The man who lives there is regularly out and from the stern miserable look on his face it was clear he was someone you didn't chat with. Last May we had a hot spell almost two weeks and one morning I was walking up this chaps street, it was a bright sunny day, clear blue sky. As I walked past the house on the corner this loud cheery voice said good morning. I nearly fell over when I realised who it was. In reality he's really nice and we now often chat.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom