Do you talk to people?...

That reminds me. I am a northerner but have lived may years in the south. In the north it was no problem to speak to strangers, say in a bar. But if I tried the same thing in the south they make me feel like I was gay or something. The loneliest place I ever lived was Bedford. Unless you grew up with them they do not want to know.

I think this depends where you come from. I never have any trouble in the South (born in Berkshire), chat to anyone, but lived up North for a while Cumbria and generally found that people would only talk to you if your families had friendships dating back several generations. London can be different though as half the time the person next to you doesn't speak English.

It's good to talk, here in TX everyone wants to talk to the guy with the funny accent, good icebreaker that and the kilt.

When I lived in the Lone Star, and folk queried my accent, I used to tell the Houstonians that I was from East Texas.... They would nod sagely.

When I lived in the Lone Star, and folk queried my accent, I used to tell the Houstonians that I was from East Texas.... They would nod sagely.

Had a holiday in Texas last November. Great fun at the dance halls; as soon as some discovered we were English it would get anounced from the stage and everyone wanted to shake our hands. I think they though we might be connect to Royalty :)

I tell them Scotland Texas (yes there is a Scotland Texas) and I used to live 15 miles from it which was amuzing, they look funny at you and either go one of 2 ways lol

I struggle with 'small talk' with my own family, let alone strangers.

I do think it is sad that society in some places deems that you shouldn't talk to strangers, especially on public transport as already mentioned.

Most people are either in too much of a self centred rush or glued to their mobile device.

Having said that I also cringe and become irritated when 2 people are speed chatting in my vicinity !!

Can't please some people :)

I've been pushing the pram up and down our village for a whole twelve months dropping one of the little uns at pre school, so I've chatted in some shape or form with everyone on route and in the preschool, all the local mums young and older women although one or two left now who still ignore me....

Chat with the owners of the local deli and the staff even come out of retirement and done a few plumbing jobs for some in the village and invite some of the younger ones to our club night...

Not one for going down to the local and chatting with the beer heads nothing worse than listening to some half cut chimp making up stories of his latest conquest with the ladies or how they knocked someone out zzzzzzzzzz..
And the wife's friends bore me to tears talking about their amazaballs careers in the wonderful NHS/ any career for that matter, in fact anyone who opens a conversation with "What do you do" or talks about their job I immediately switch off and go into silent mode...

I'll almost never strike up a conversation with a stranger myself, it's just something I'm not used to doing and it feels awkward. I'll happily talk if someone else starts though, but in this case the same issue as with all other talking comes in: with some people, I can chat for hours on end; whereas with others I struggle to find something to carry on every half a minute or so. I do also tend to look like a miserable/stuck up sod sometimes. I'm not, really. Really! :(

I find that how I communicate with people isn't a 'constant'. It depends entirely on the people I'm with, whether strangers or friends. How I feel around them (chemistry) determines how I act and speak. Sometimes I don't say a word; other times I'm the most confident person in the room. Sometimes I'm chatty, warm and tactile; other times I'm nervous, bashful and easily embarrassed. Sometimes I act 'blokey' and working class; other times the opposite- rather like a chameleon.

I admire people who can 'be themselves' in any company- people who never compromise their personalities. I will never be one of them.

I Sometimes I act 'blokey' and working class; other times the opposite- rather like a chameleon.

I admire people who can 'be themselves' in any company- people who never compromise their personalities. I will never be one of them.

I had a tendency of doing that myself ,fearful they might think me stuck up but in fact they would most likely would have regarded me as being pretentious, so i dont do it all now .Its neutral RP all the time unless i want to indulge in a bit of buffoonery then the slacked mouthed patois comes out in full force

I admire such people as well in fact one of my next door neighbours was like that , the other was quite the opposite , miserable as sin as was his family .Never acknowledged us even though we used to take his parcels when they are not in and were always cordial .Cant understand people like that

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom